Opinion: banana seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Onyx as it sits now:

I'm thinking I want a low sitting banana seat. What cha'll think? I'm seriously on the fence about it. And none of the bike shops around here has any in stock for me to test see.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

This might help. Not sure if it is the right proportion but should give you an idea.
seatmode_zps935a553e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If you look, some of them are longer to look better proportionally on a 26"+ bicycle. Google search adult size banana seat and you will find some that are 21 to 22" long.

That's what I'm thinking. Long and low seat. I'm wondering though if the bike is just too big to look good being a 29er.

I think you can do it. If you turn the front mount forward you can gain about two inches on the seat length. For aesthetics, I like to see the angle of the seat post and the angle of the sissy bar as closely matched as possible. You can make a bracket for the rear of the seat so the sissy bar will mount farther back. The lowriders have some longer sissy bars with clamps for the adjustment, you would probably have to drill the bar and mount then bolt them together to maintain the height that you want. Go For It!

You could always get two nanners. Strip them down. Cut them up and weld/bolt them to make one seat that is the right proportions. Then recover.

I have plans to make a big nanner using an old wooden water ski for my Nanner Puddin Screamer build.

Thanks guys for the input.

I didn't think of that. Make my own. Hmmm. I could to cut some wood the size I think I'd want to get an idea of what would look good.

Still think some white walls would really look good on there.

Tony, to make your seat work, you should be able to rotate the seat clamp to any position to make it line up with the angle of the seat post. If you need another size seat clamp, let me know what the diameter of the seat post is and I'll give you one that will work.:)

Oh I'll make it work!

I LIKE BIKES

It's your bike. You might actually spend some money just to decide this isn't what you want to do! Me personally? I would try it even if I had to change the neck to a 4 bolt bmx type and install it reversed then put some super apes on!! That simple switch could move you back to a more comfortable riding position. There are always options, especially when you use some imagination. Whitewalls would look good too! Just jump in and do it.....and start a build thread when you do!

Ceebee, that was my concern with it being such a big bike, and I'm only 5'10".

But I think I will get some wood and cut it to a shape and size I think might work and just play around.

I think to enlarge an existing seat pan you will have to do what the hot rodders do to chop a top. Cut it into quarters, spread it out, and fill in with sheet metal.
Could be an interesting how to.

Check out www.ichibike.com They make banana seats using an old skateboard cut down for the "pan". I am sure that you could built something similar.

Banana seat + adult + riding = pain
I have to disagree, but with one condition, it has to be the bigger style of seat, the tiny kids ones, well yes, they equal pain, but I actually love riding on the bigger 20-22" banana seats...

Luke.

Another vote for the ICHI bike style seat....And the idea to use a water ski for the pan is brilliant. Definitely round the edges, a plain sabre saw cutout might be too sharp on the upper edge to be comfortable ...

Back