Operation Sting-Rat has begun

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go, I am starting into a project I have put off for a long time. I aquired this frame from my brother in law, who did not want it? The top tube had been broken and someone welded the worst looking, jagged bubblegum weld I have ever seen. Sorry no pic, I had to file it in order to protect my self from being cut while handeling it. It had also been painted a few times. As I have been working on it, I have discovered the bike was made in the (summer of 69).
I plan on painting it flat black with a satin clear coat over the top,rattle can of course. I am going to maintain the logos which I discovered under the paint, by just taping these areas off. I don't think it will detract from the overall look. The bike will receive a springer front end with a small tire, banana seat, nice fat slick in the rear with a strumy/archer 3speed, some apes, dice valve covers, and a few other little tricks I have up my sleeve. Stay tuned. Also want to send a shout out to (sworks) who has been helping me along the way with some tools I don't have and with some creative ideas.

stingrat002.jpg

stingrat004.jpg

stingrat008.jpg

i really like the paint as-is. it would make it more of a rat. just spray clear over it to seal the deal and keep that bare spot from rusting. :D just my 2 cents.

Sorry stretch,too late for that. I worked body filler putty into the repaired area last night,sanded it this morning, shot primer,flat black and sealed the deal with a satin clear coat. Waiting for it to dry right now. I did tape off the area where I found the logos,so those are still intact. I will post photos as soon as I can touch the frame.

Later, Blake

Anybody have an idea on what model frame this is? It is not a canti. Did schwinn make stingrays in a non canti configuration? I know for sure it is a 1969 model.

fastback, but i am not sure if they made 24" and 20"

Well,looks like it was a pretty productive day. Here are my latest pics.

stingrat018.jpg

stingrat019.jpg

The slick is a goodyear grasshopper and it barely fits in the stays.
I took a three speed thumb shifter off an old murray and mounted it on the seatpost.
I have not ridden it yet,It feels sketchy just pushing it arround.

Wow! That was fast.

Looks good from here.

and you have a 3 speed, that's pretty sweet.

Man, I gotta get me one'a those. You're never too old to crank wheelies around the block.

Man! BP, That was a fast build... 11:42 am to 8:04 pm, let me take a guess, Krylon? You make me look like a slacker!

Quanah said:
Man! BP, That was a fast build... 11:42 am to 8:04 pm, let me take a guess, Krylon? You make me look like a slacker!

Krylon and my super fast drying booth, A.K.A -My bathroom with the ceramic heater cranked and the exhaust fan on, with frame hanging from shower curtain rod. When I get excited these things seem to take on a life of their own, and you just have to let them run their course. No need to eat, rest, or let the dog out, just build.

Preferable if wife is at work and does not see the technique.
Still dialing it and working the bugs out at a slower pace of corse.

well model is fastback if its a 20-24", speedster if its a 26". looks good now too.

ahh right. forgot about them. sorry for the bad info.

blackphantom said:
Quanah said:

Krylon and my super fast drying booth, A.K.A -My bathroom with the ceramic heater cranked and the exhaust fan on, with frame hanging from shower curtain rod. When I get excited these things seem to take on a life of their own, and you just have to let them run their course. No need to eat, rest, or let the dog out, just build.

OR CHECK OUT THIS SITE :shock: !

blackphantom said:
Quanah said:

i mean this in the nicest possible way. your method is bound to eventually get you in trouble.
accetone vapour is much heavier than air. its dropping right to the floor where i assume you have your ceramic heater.

to give you an idea just how flamable accetone is, at my last job, we used it to clean the glue off the backs of pvc wrapped kitchen's (doors, draw fronts etc) if ya scrubbed alittle to hard/fast, the rag would ignite into flames. (at least a few times a week)

your exaust fan wont be moving the accetone vapours off the floor, you'd be better off running the water in the tub to help suck it down the drain. :)

just be real careful.

btw super thin coats of krylon dry lightning fast, just do lots of coats and there wont be a need for heating up the paint. (which i believe is not recommended for the krylon fusion. )

Back