Open Season on Pheasents.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today at noon Pheasent season opened. My brother and I were a little late getting out to the farm but didnt' matter much. I had my limit in an hour. My dog, Reba, did pretty good. Every bird that got up came from right in front of her. She pointed a few more too - both hens and roosters. She is almost 2 so she will only get better.

1017091416.jpg

Excellent! Our season opened today also. We have a 2 bird limit here and I was done in about 45 minutes. We didn't go out until 8:00 and my dog Fred found birds in areas that were already well covered by other hunters. Fred was whining all the way home because we were leaving so early. Fried em' up (the birds, not the dog) for lunch.

For some silly tradition our season dose not open till noon. I guess breakfast is in order.

ej599 said:
Excellent! Our season opened today also. We have a 2 bird limit here and I was done in about 45 minutes. We didn't go out until 8:00 and my dog Fred found birds in areas that were already well covered by other hunters. Fred was whining all the way home because we were leaving so early. Fried em' up (the birds, not the dog) for lunch.

Roosters only ? or hens too. We were lucky by not having to worry about other hunters. We have a couple of hundred acres by ourselves.

We've had 3 wet cool springs in a row and the drowned out pheasant population in Central Illinois is decimated. The coyote population is at an all time high and the Red-Tailed hawks have made a wonderful comeback, both to the detriment of the pheasants and quail. I've given up shooting pheasants and have planted 2 acres of prairie grass and forbes to give them a little cover. We seem to have plenty of deer and that's what I spend my time on with my crossbow. I really miss pheasant hunting. :cry: Gary

deorman said:
Take up clay. No fun for the dog, and they taste horrible, but they're wily little critters! :lol:

now that there is funny, i don't care who you are :lol:

B607 said:
We've had 3 wet cool springs in a row and the drowned out pheasant population in Central Illinois is decimated. The coyote population is at an all time high and the Red-Tailed hawks have made a wonderful comeback, both to the detriment of the pheasants and quail. I've given up shooting pheasants and have planted 2 acres of prairie grass and forbes to give them a little cover. We seem to have plenty of deer and that's what I spend my time on with my crossbow. I really miss pheasant hunting. :cry: Gary

I don't know about there but here in michigan if you have the time and means check with DNR about any pheasant raise and release program.

A guy I know here gets a kick back from the state for doing so. He raises like 200 a year to release into the wild and he don't even hunt. He Just does it for the state money/credit.

Got 2 more today. Boy did we work for them, 6 hours for 2 birds. Fred put up 2 others we couldn't get a shot at due to trees. New England terrain makes for challenging bird hunting. Lots of trees, swamps, stone walls, briars and hills.
I'd love to check out the midwest some day. A dream vacation would be South Dakota for me and the dog. The dog is bathed and sound asleep. Good ole' Fred, what a dog.

We went out and had little luck. Hunting the same area. All hens, no roosters. My dog pointed everyone though.

My brother is in South Dakota this week on a bi-annual hunt.

We got 2 today. We were hunting the power lines and Fred locked up on one in some 8' tall super thick and thorny scrub about 20 yards in. I was navigating a route in when the bird flushed. I couldn't get a shot and it landed in a swamp about 50 yards away. Fred found it again and locked up on him again. The bird didn't move. It took me about 5 minutes to slug my way out there.

So there we are, me standing in 12" of muck, Fred and the bird eye to eye and he won't flush. We were all about 5 ' apart. I couldn't lift my foot out of the muck to kick the bird. I blew the whistle - which startled Fred - which caused the bird to flush and we got him.
We were both muddy and bloody but that's New England bird hunting. Can't wait to fry em up!

P1012525.jpg

chimichanga said:
man I'm so jealous of all you guys hunting. I've never in my life done it but I want to have that experience once before I die. lol :D
Hunting is the "fun" part!..............Cleaning (gutting) them is not so much...........AHH, nothing like the STEAM coming off of a fresh pile of deer guts on a COLD winter day!...Now that's "fun". :lol:

KOTA said:
chimichanga said:
man I'm so jealous of all you guys hunting. I've never in my life done it but I want to have that experience once before I die. lol :D
Hunting is the "fun" part!..............Cleaning (gutting) them is not so much...........AHH, nothing like the STEAM coming off of a fresh pile of deer guts on a COLD winter day!...Now that's "fun". :lol:

I love the smell of innards in the morning. That and batter dipped pheasant frying in a pan.

Between my "last" days at work, and my wife recuperating from surgery, I missed goose hunting completely this year! :cry:

KOTA said:
chimichanga said:

Gut a deer? No way. Fillet off the quarters. Cut out the backstraps, trim the ribs and neck, then peel up the tailbone and get the tenderloins. Leave the ponch(guts) for the birds and coyotes to open up.

ej599 said:
I love the smell of innards in the morning. That and batter dipped pheasant frying in a pan.

Anything but rabbits. I hate cleaning those suckers.

Speaking of rabbits, there was a guy calling his dog in the distance for about 2 hours while I was out for birds this last time. When I finally ran into him he was standing there with a beagle and asked me if I saw his other beagle. Awesome rabbit dogs but boy, do they have a mind of their own.

I may go out for deer next year. I'm lucky to have time for birds with the kid and all.

A friend of mine has a cool goose hunting technique. He sits in his canoe right in the middle of the pond fishing for largemouths. He also has his shotgun with him. when the geese fly over him while he fishing he puts the pole down picks up the gun and BLAM!

He told me when tried camoing the canoe and hiding in the brush the geese avoided him like the plague. But when he went fishing they fly right over him.

Hope your wife is doing better Larry.

Latest posts

Back