Old Raleigh 26" 1947 ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not sure wich section to post this in. Does anyone know about this bike? I picked it up at an estate sale today for cheap. I dont know if I should clean it up, chop it up or part it out. It seems to be complete, some stuff does need to be replaced ie; grips, tires, cables. I'd like to find out the year and if it's worth fixing up.

The only numbers I can find on the frame are located by the seat clamp 535340/P I dont know if this is a ser. no. or if it was added.

Brooks saddle B66

Can I get a key for the fork?

Generator hub

What size tires are on the bike, the tires are so rotted you cant make out the size 26 x ???

Thanks.... Jim
001-11.jpg

002-9.jpg

[/img]
005-13.jpg

006-12.jpg

007-10.jpg

008-10.jpg

004-12.jpg

Re: Old Raleigh 26"

I would definitely keep that one. It's getting real hard to find those old English bikes in original condition and also affordable. Even for English 3 speeds what you have is a relic. If it has a Sturmey Archer Hub the date was stamped on it. It's definitely no newer than 1950's and with a fork lock I would think it was probably a top of the line model. Of course, if you want to get rid of it I'll give you $100 plus shipping - see what I mean? You may not ever find another one like it. Have fun! Robert

rear dyno 3 speed hubs are pretty rare..I'd clean it up and keep it. 8)

Wow, I just had a tear roll down my cheek......... :D
26 x 1 3/8" tires are what your looking for, they can even be found @ Wal-mart.

That's a real rare bike, definety a keeper!

there's a vintage Raleigh thread in "gallery" here
check some of those bikes out too

that bike has great potential!!!

one more vote to keep it :mrgreen:

It even has the prongs for a pump. I bought a chrome pump for 5 bucks for my english bike. Bike world. Everything looks vintage on your bike, I would clean it up, I'll bet the paint shines like new with some work, and the chrome is probably good too. The front brake looks alloy, I would expect chrome, but maybe the upper models came with alloy brakes. I've never seen a key lock on a Raleigh fork, maybe a locksmith can make a key for it. The saddle is in very good shape, I would treat it with the Brooks proofhide. I'll guess it's a 1959 bike. Anything in the seat bag? I would keep it too, it may have been part of the original bike. If you work on the cranks or headset, remember the bearings are loose, they aren't in retainers, same with the front wheel bearings. I've had ball bearings all over the garage, never to be found again. It may be fine to add some light oil instead of taking it apart, unless it has problems. Link to the pump:

http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_inf ... 22cc88caa0

Yeah, when you take the headset, crank or front wheel apart throw down something to work on so when the bearings come flying out you'll keep them organized. The 50's Hercules I had as a kid in the 60's probably had never been serviced because all the bearings were dried up so everything came tumbling down when I took it apart. Have fun cleaning her up, it's worth the ride! Robert

I posted this bike on another forum also. Someone there posted this link:

http://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html#47

The serial no. by the post clamp reads: 535340/P the "P" is under the numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong but acording to this website the bike is a 1947. I think the front caliper has been replaced at some point as it is a Weinman caliper and is alloy, the rear one is/was steel/chrome. I guess the front caliper was replaced because the correct cable was not available, The rear cable at the caliper end does not have one of those small bolts with with the hole through the shaft to hold the cable end, instead it has a lead?? end on the cable similar to the end for the brake lever.

I don't know about getting a key for the fork, but you really *need* to keep that bike, it's too original and has too many interesting details. The headlight alone is making me insanely jealous. If you sell it, you won't get much, but if you keep it, you're sure to enjoy it.

hth,
-rob

PS-yes, as someone else mentioned, it takes 26x1 3/8 tires. The ISO size will read either 37x590 or 38x590.

Does the rear hub shell have a date on it? It is usually in 2 small digits along with the month. Example: 11 72 would be Nov 1972

2s80ozl.jpg

Wildcat said:
Does the rear hub shell have a date on it? It is usually in 2 small digits along with the month. Example: 11 72 would be Nov 1972

2s80ozl.jpg

My hub does not look like that, it looks something like this:

. .......................................................dyno.....3.....three
........................................................... 8............ 6
Dyno 3 three is surrounded by a diamond shape, the 8 & 6 are under the diamond, to the left of this is about 6 or 7 lines of patent information running perpendicular to what I posted above but no dates. Would this be August 1946? That could be correct for a 1947 model.

Latest posts

Back