Old Manse Hawthorne...LAST DAY RIDE VIDEO! pg 9 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out in the 'paint booth' today. Adding some Rustoleum Hammered silver to rims, bars, guard for a base color with some natural rust showing through.

Next will be a light sprinkling of Chrome paint, then a dash or two of Multicolor Texture. With rubbing down ala green 3M scrubbie in between. It's all about adding, and taking away in the BACK40.....

Another glorious day.

paintbooth.jpg

canofpaint.jpg

20170506_110239.jpg

20170506_110943.jpg

20170506_113806.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. Dig that guard. Stainless fenders would shine up really nice but shiny fenders wouldn't cut the mustard for you I don't think.

Looking good. Dig that guard. Stainless fenders would shine up really nice but shiny fenders wouldn't cut the mustard for you I don't think.
Yeah, as the case may be (read: almost always is) I'm going with a 'pre-chrome' look on my parts; kind of a cast iron look. Check out the next pics....

So, after applying the Hammered Silver, and then some Chrome paint (for a dash of metallic look) and then a few shots of Multi-color Textured (dark hue); I've got what I will call the 'pre-chrome' look or nickle plated look. It's a worn look that's been around for a few years. Rust is making it's way in, and getting integrated with the iron color.

I know I initially indicated I might be 'shining' this bike up a bit. I lied. My motto has always been, "From rust thou hast come, and unto rust thou shalt return'.

Here are a few shots of the parts after the process:

18361459_1836828966343254_309094919_n.jpg

18361360_1836828536343297_1622131420_n.jpg

18361667_1836827606343390_1553751573_n.jpg

Looking good ol buddy I new you couldn't do it hahahaha . And yes was really looking forward to your shiny parts , NOT !!!
It just won't be a odd job if it wasn't a rust job. When in doubt let it rust out [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top notch build right, love where it's going.

another great old frame..I like the patina after all of the hand rubbing you did on it O.J....I'd sure like to run across an old frame, I've never seen any down in Floriduh'..I think all of the old bikes are in the midwest, or...Michigan for some reason.
Way to go.
:thumbsup:

It looks a bit like the nickel plating rusted, then was painted chrome and buffed down.
Looking good ol buddy I new you couldn't do it hahahaha . And yes was really looking forward to your shiny parts , NOT !!!
It just won't be a odd job if it wasn't a rust job. When in doubt let it rust out [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm completely impressed. I truly cannot wait to see the finished product.
Top notch build right, love where it's going.
another great old frame..I like the patina after all of the hand rubbing you did on it O.J....I'd sure like to run across an old frame, I've never seen any down in Floriduh'..I think all of the old bikes are in the midwest, or...Michigan for some reason.
Way to go.
:thumbsup:

That's a nice look there.

Thanks for the support guys. I have wanted to try the Hammered paint on a build, and then put my own twist to it. If the fenders make it on to this build, they will get the same treatment.

Like G said, "When in doubt, let it rust out." :21:

I might use that ^ Chad! Cuz I'm old enough to remember when pewter was huge in the early 80's. I have to admit, I had a couple pewter pieces back then myself.

It's a roller! Tire combo #1...Sunlite Sandy Beach. 26 x 2.5 all black, no logos. Got them at my LBS for $19.99 ea. Really light and soft feel. Can't wait to ride them!

This tire is available through jbibike.com. Most of your local bike shops have an acct. with them.

20170509_133416.jpg

20170509_133430.jpg

20170509_133438.jpg

Looks really good, tires fit the build nicely.

Looks really good, tires fit the build nicely.
Thanks! I've got another pair of tires coming that I am going to try next week. Still deciding if I want to sell the stainless steel fenders, or rat them out to match the guard, handlebars, etc.

Skip tooth chain installed and first ride under the belt! Rolls good, fits me well, and that seat has just the right amount of suspension.

Kind of like the no fender look. Might fool around with some configurations as I have more time to consider.
IMG_20170509_184311_938.jpg

I like fenders, but if you don't want to go full fenders a bobber style would be cool.

Latest posts

Back