Oh COME ON...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only $12.85 for shipping! Ha..ha..ha

mere words can not express how absurd the 'vintage stingray' market has become. aging baby boomers trying to heal their 'inner child' by buying it the toys it didn't recieve so long ago. i think the dude that bought that tire should have spent the money on therapy. he could have played Santa Claus to 200 kids by giving them the stingray re-pops for the same amount of money. but now he can show it to his friends, and they'll undoubtedly be impressed that he paid that amount for single bicycle tire.

YOW :shock:

I'll say it again:

YOW :shock:

Obviously it's worth that much to at least one person. I can certainly understand the whole resto thing, and when you need a specific part, you need that part, but I can't help but think that there are limits. Is this tire really that rare and valuable?

Of course, the 'bay can be a little wacky at times, automated bidding with high max bids can lead to very high stakes bidding wars. Who knows, maybe the buyer is as surprised as everyone else?

**edited to add** Upon further inspection, I see the reserved hasn't been reached yet so the buyers know what they're getting into.

I guess when musclecars are fetching millions, this stuff is pretty low-buck.

-Mp

and people put bids on it?

morons :wink:

Yeah, nuts huh?? I ran across that at random the other day and did a triple take....and the auction is done! It didn't sell!! I'm not sure what is worse, the guy that bid that much, or the guy selling it?!

There are actually people bidding on this tire. Thats crazy. It reminds me of the Barrett Crapson Auctions, watching all those beautiful muscle cars that I drooled over as a kid(still do now) being sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and thinking that they weren't that far out of my reach less than 10 years ago.

This is another reason right here that I went out and bought the Wally Mart stingray without even thinking about it. Unless I stike gold, a mint "real" stingray will more than likely be out of my price range for a long, long time, if ever.

I was thinking that now that Bill Gates is retiring, I hope he doesn't get into vintage bikes. Or he could do what Barrett-Jackson did to vintage cars, raise the price tag out of the reach of regular people.

Easy Skywalker said:
Yeah, I went along up to $ 1750, after that it became too steep!
HA HA....yeah! I had those Fabrege' Eggs and the first edition of the Bible I was bidding on, didn't want to spread myself too thin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

skoda said:
Easy Skywalker said:
Yeah, I went along up to $ 1750, after that it became too steep!
HA HA....yeah! I had those Fabrege' Eggs and the first edition of the Bible I was bidding on, didn't want to spread myself too thin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL – I can just see the Craigslist ad:

For sale. One Fabergé egg. Must sell, need money for Stingray resto.

-Mp

fast eddie said:
what does ' NOS ' mean?
fast eddie outty

New Old Stock ----> Or to put it another way, vintage parts, un-used and still in their original packaging. NOS parts are the most sought after by restorers because they are as original and correct as it gets.

-Mp

I REALY DO NOT LIKE "babyboomers" that have run prices up on all kinds of old stuff. I have a '74 Cutlass that no one makes aftermarket parts for because of "them", a mentality of after '72 is smog junk. My car and other 70's rides are BA and if they don't like them they can "sit on it"! :mrgreen: 20 years from now when they're all worm chow, what or where will these relics be? Are any of you willing to pay $5000 for an original Sting-Ray or $600,000 for a small block run 'o the mill '60s muscle car? I'll be lucky to gross that much by my retirement!

Latest posts

Back