NOW SEEN IN FINISHED SECTION! ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ US vs. German headbadge pg5

yoothgeye said:
I bought that plate off of eBay a few years back to put on my Audi, but never did, it might find it's way onto my Toyota estate unless it ends up on this build.

I'd trade it for one from a different town.

I've got one from Iraq that has their digits that look like it spells LOVE IT. But I dont think I'll let that one go.....

000_0003_0001.jpg

000_0004_0001.jpg

spy20vs20spy.jpg

If I can't build this better than a French J.C. Higgins bike, then I don't deserve to own it! :shock:

Cool how the Spy vs Spy actually resembeles the lines of the Higgins badge lettering and graphics.
Must be a secret code thing.

D
R
I
N
K
M
O
R
E
O
V
A
L
T
I
N
E

fudge!!!!

Y'all got me thinking with all this Spy v. Spy talk...

I like the swan, it emulates the tall bars.

Almost 1k.

Peatbog said:
9K to go...

Haha... oh man. :(

Alright, I got outside today and did some work, first I was looking for some electric tape and I grabbed some stuff around the shop that might end up on the bike:
SAM_0914.jpg

Then it was back to frame:
SAM_0915.jpg

I grabbed the spikes that beatcad sent to me and installed my headbadge:
SAM_0916.jpg

Most of the time today was spent looking for tools and smoothing out rust, anyway, I got around to putting the front fender back on and the tire won't fit! It is jamming in the top of the fender, I'm not sure if I can make any room up there for it, I'll try. I really wanted to run front and rear fenders on this bike, but obviously this fork is shorter than the stock fork.
SAM_0918.jpg

I also grabbed the crank arm off of the Raleigh and it didn't fit (hits chainstay), so back on with the exercise bike crank arm, but I grabbed the other side and cut the chainring off of it so that I will have the correct pedal threading so that it won't unscrew as I ride.

Now, here it is with a seat slammed just to see fit:
SAM_0923.jpg

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ Update Page 8 6/28

The RRB headbagde looks sharp. I am really surprised that more of those haven't shown up in BO7 yet.

The apes are very cool. I really makes it look like you are on a 24" bike.

Bravo! Progress is sweet!

aka_locojoe said:
I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

Looking good.

Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing. I can still bend my elbows so it's a bit awkward, but it's not uncomfortable, it will be an attention getter for sure.

kingfish254 said:
The RRB headbagde looks sharp. I am really surprised that more of those haven't shown up in BO7 yet.

The apes are very cool. I really makes it look like you are on a 24" bike.

Bravo! Progress is sweet!

Thanks man, I haven't really taken notice, how many badges have shown up... mine, yours...?

ChrisMac said:
Looking good. Real good.

Thanks man, if I can't run that front fender it's going to kill my hood ornament, and that stinks. Look at the photo of me on it, you can see just how tight that tire is in the fender and it's not even all the way in the drops! :( I might try the fender off of the women's bike that the fender came from, but it's just not as cool, not enough rust and not a ballooner. I just don't have another fork... I don't think...

hey man, i think your build is pretty dope! i'm diggin the mega ape bars!

Peatbog said:
Kinda looks like a tall bike that didn't get finished. :mrgreen:

I might not finish my sidecar bikes, but I ALWAYS finish my tall bikes! :D

Tencho said:
hey man, i think your build is pretty dope! i'm diggin the mega ape bars!

Thanks man, I thought they were just silly when I made them, but I've really come to like them. I'll be making another set after the build.

Looking good guy! I'm watching you so GTB!! Peace

Peatbog said:
MazdaFlyer said:

Need to stretch its head up as far as it will go.

You should cut the swan's neck and add a neck extension so that you have a tall swan to match the apes.

Peatbog said:
I was looking at what I thought were some tall ape hangers at a local bike shop. Now I would be ashamed to even buy them and put them on a bike. I think "tall ape hangers" has been redefined.

haha, That's great! This is what I was setting out to do, embarrass all other so-called "ape hangers."

kingfish254 said:
Peatbog said:
MazdaFlyer said:

Need to stretch its head up as far as it will go.
You should cut the swan's neck and add a neck extension so that you have a tall swan to match the apes.

Haha, that would be cool, but I stuck a magnet to swan... no stick. It's no aluminum, it's heavy, not quite sure what it's made of, but I can't weld it. I do know it's silver plated.

Peatbog said:
Heavanonmagnanotaluminaledium. Nope, can't weld it.

I would go with "pot steel" but it's too heavy.

One thing's for sure, you're gonna have some dryyyyyyyyyyyy armpits riding that bike around :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back