NOW SEEN IN FINISHED SECTION! ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ Update Page 8 6/28

Alright, happy 4th of July everyone. I used the entire day to build! And here's what I ended up with:
SAM_0930.jpg

Yep, it's a bike junk hide hole. 6'x10'
SAM_0931.jpg

After that last photo I started filling it with bikes from around the yard, it sure is nice to clean up a little.

While cleaning I measured the fork on a Huffy Good Vibrations (I've got 4 of them around here) and it has an extra inch over the ladies JC Higgins I was trying to use. I'm not sure on the steer tube, but that can be easily modded if need be. Looks like I'm gonna be able to run my front fender and accessories!

I'm beat!

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ Spy Headquarters pg10 July4th

Peatbog said:
I have to say that is the best 6' x 10' bike junk hide hole with a canoe roof that I have seen in the build so far.

Hey, wasn't it kinda hot out today?

An amphibious hidey hole. Pretty cool!!!!!

Peatbog said:
I have to say that is the best 6' x 10' bike junk hide hole with a canoe roof that I have seen in the build so far.

Hey, wasn't it kinda hot out today?

Insanely hot, but luckily I could chill under the carport to keep from dying. I drank 5 liters of water yesterday. I still have some additional yard cleanup today, but it already looks tons better (or minus tons).

kingfish254 said:
An amphibious hidey hole. Pretty cool!!!!!

Exactly! if the Roanoke Rapids lake dam breaks (it's less than a mile from here) the hidey hole will flip and my bike parts will float to safety!

Peatbog said:
And the walls of that hidey hole looks almost tall enough that the ape-hangers on your bike won't be sticking out.

Haha, yes I think they just do fit. I need to measure their actual height (stem to grip) and then the height on the bike, I think it's over eye level on me if I remember correctly. I had my friend (RRB member: Nelvolks, builder of Penney Saver last year) sit on the bike last night, I'm 5' 10" and he's... well, he's shorter, and he could fit the bike pretty well.

I think we need an build update (other than a shed) soon. Don't make me sick the bunnies on you.

Oh no, not the Chippendale's bunny!

kingfish254 said:

I don't remember seeing him last time I saw the Chipp... nevermind. :oops:

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Now that's just scary!!!

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

I know you switched to the other team when you went from a US Army build to a German Spy build, but that's just taking it too far!!!!

OK, I have to at least get this bike ridable by the end of the week when we go on vacation, but it's hard.

Build: 0
Life:
-today is my 13 year wedding anniversary
-I am teaching a God and Me class to a Cub Scout pack in the evenings
-daily I drive a group of students to another church to help with a community feed program
-it over 100 degrees outside everyday plus MASSIVE humidity
-taking my 2 older kids to a community art program every morning this week
-have to get trailer ready for trip
-installed hitch on minivan but still need to do wiring (not a simple plug-n-play)

I did pull the fork this weekend and put the other fork on, and it should work, it's still tight though. Y'all should like what I'm doing with my trailer, it's a "rat rod" now. :mrgreen:

Happy anniversary!

A lot of builds seem to get sidetracked by the "real world" .

Hopefully you can find some time to finish yours in the remaining 28 days!!!!

I forgot, every Friday I take the youth on a day trip, last week it was to Nags Head, this week I'm taking them to my parent's house in Virginia for a pool party and out to Chick-fil-A dressed as cows to get free lunch.

Peatbog said:
Can I be in your youth group? I can pretend to be 3-1/2 fifteen year olds.

You can come as an adult, I always need chaperones. After this Friday there are only 2 more Friday trips, one to Lake Phelps and another to a Mudcats baseball game.

It's a shame we all have to work for a living.
Why can't we just stay home and play with bikes?

kingfish254 said:
It's a shame we all have to work for a living.
Why can't we just stay home and play with bikes?

You can, you just can't stay at the same home you have now, but the government would feed and insure you.

OK, so I actually got a little work done tonight, I went out to the shop to finish some cosmetic work on my utility trailer and while waiting for paint to dry I did some work on the bike.

First it was time for some spy gear. Since Higgins is a German spy he obviously would want to hide his identity, so since everyone knows that any JCH tank bike made in 1956 was made in Germany he decided to wear a license plate from 1954 to throw off the scent:
SAM_0933.jpg

But being a true and proud German, he did this:
SAM_0934.jpg

(I'm sure nobody will notice)

Desiring comfort that only England could bring this Brooks saddle made it's way onto the bike:
SAM_0935.jpg

And since Higgins is playing a risky game he donned a set of dice valve caps to always keep him on his toes.
SAM_0936.jpg

(I didn't have a set of dice valve caps, so I just made these)

I also managed to get the "new" fork mounted (why is it that I only have blue 26" crowned forks?), bent the truss rods back to fit the correct length fork, mounted a kickstand, and installed a chain. Still need a right side 1/2" pedal and matching left side 9/16" pedal. Ugh.

All this happened while the whitewalls were drying here:
SAM_0932.jpg

SAM_0937.jpg

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ 7/12 Spy Gear Page 12

Yooth your a busy man! I commend you on all you do. Your shaping lives and giving your all. But... Stop watchin' paint drying and Get ta Building!!!! :lol: i just saw a jesse james bike for 100 bucks on CL. Ya know I'm on it! Bike is looking good man. Slow and steady. Peace

Nice touch with the tag.
Trailer wheels are way cool!

Stopped by the Habitat for Humanity store this morning and picked up some stuff for headlight and taillights.

Bought all this for $7, I had already priced some of these at that much each, so I consider this a good deal, and I know the money will go to a good cause:
SAM_0938.jpg

This old Eveready lantern top is pretty cool. The lens is glass on the headlight, its all stainless steel, and the taillight slides in and out:
SAM_0939.jpg

SAM_0940.jpg

Then this little taillight was pretty cool too, never saw one like this:
SAM_0941.jpg

While typing this out I've been interrupted twice to go and fix kids bikes, first I removed a set of pegs (that I just installed a week ago) and tightened a chain. Then I came back in here and another kid showed up, his headset was really loose and I ended up cutting his fork steerer to I could cinch it down tight, then I tightened up his crank arm. Then the other kids came back and I gave them a ramp in the yard I had made, then the mailman came and I had to sign for the blinky bike lights I ordered from Hong Kong about a month ago, but just in time for vacation.

Latest posts

Back