No Man's Land: Schwinn Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together a build which has proven to agitate the purist cycling (how to say this?) "aficionados" which can be found elsewhere on the web, yet is nearly disqualified as a classic/rat-rod build, as well. I've welcomed myself to No Man's Land.

The frame was a donation from a friend (the original owner) a couple months ago, for some parts needed for a basic 5-speed project. The rest of the bike was largely trash, having sat in storage for the last 20+ years, the last few outside. I stripped the guts, and (learning to use a paint gun) re-finished the frame in 2015 Ford "Kona" Blue.

My plan is this: utilize this Schwinn Varsity frame, stripped and sprayed (before/after photos attached), and incorporate modern single-speed components to the frame in order to build a ride which has a "modern" old-school, single-speed "track" (Iver-Johnson, Pope, etc.) look via the triangulated frame, drop bars, bobbed fenders, and a big light (courtesy a 6v flashlight), but with a deep-V wheelset and modern crankset to replace the traditional Ashtabula.

A first question, for those who might cross between build styles: how can I adapt a 1.37x24TPIx68 modern BB into a traditional Schwinn casing? Or can't I?
_SC03201_zpsng8cku9e.jpg

I'm putting together a build which has proven to agitate the purist cycling (how to say this?) "aficionados" which can be found elsewhere on the web, yet is nearly disqualified as a classic/rat-rod build, as well. I've welcomed myself to No Man's Land.

The frame was a donation from a friend (the original owner) a couple months ago, for some parts needed for a basic 5-speed project. The rest of the bike was largely trash, having sat in storage for the last 20+ years, the last few outside. I stripped the guts, and (learning to use a paint gun) re-finished the frame in 2015 Ford "Kona" Blue.

My plan is this: utilize this Schwinn Varsity frame, stripped and sprayed (before/after photos attached), and incorporate modern single-speed components to the frame in order to build a ride which has a "modern" old-school, single-speed "track" (Iver-Johnson, Pope, etc.) look via the triangulated frame, drop bars, bobbed fenders, and a big light (courtesy a 6v flashlight), but with a deep-V wheelset and modern crankset to replace the traditional Ashtabula.

A first question, for those who might cross between build styles: how can I adapt a 1.37x24TPIx68 modern BB into a traditional Schwinn casing? Or can't I?
_SC03201_zpsng8cku9e.jpg

It's cool you are finding a new purpose for your Varsity, an I'm no "purist" but I do love the old Schwinn metallic colors and I wonder if the OG red could of been saved.

Neat stuff, hammer mechanic! The switch seems pretty easy once the right converter is bought. Luckily, it seems like the parts I'm looking at will fit. Nice to see a fellow Hoosier; I'm all over the state, really, but from near Lawrenceburg, in the other corner of the bottom end.

As you can see, those elsewhere provided plenty of ribbing regarding the build: http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/1040879-another-dreaded-varsity-10-spd-s-s.html

horsefarmer, the OEM red (which was really nice - in certain spots - when I got the thing pressure-washed down) was decent, but not really salvageable - rust was already bad in some spots from the outdoor exposure. I wanted to go with a blue (based on the PureFix cycles "November" model), and figured I'd be better off sanding down and re-spraying for a cleaner look. The late-70's/early 80's Schwinn decals were toast.

Some inspiration photos I've stored away for this one, just for reference (with headlight and bobbed fenders added) - apologies if any of these belong to RRB members and go without mention:

You're killing me with the bridge truss! f I'd have thought it through before painting, I'd have fabricated one. Sharp Continental! Weighs a lot less than the gargantuan Varsity, too. Can I ask what crank and saddle you're running on that?

[/QUOTE]

You're killing me with the bridge truss! f I'd have thought it through before painting, I'd have fabricated one. Sharp Continental! Weighs a lot less than the gargantuan Varsity, too. Can I ask what crank and saddle you're running on that?

Thanks! I kept the original b.b. so I'm running a 40's Schwinn World crank with a 80's Sugino snowflake sprocket. The saddle was a 60's brooks B-72 but It split and I replaced it with one from @ifitsfreeitsforme. And it rides like a dream.

Here's a link to the original build for the build off a few years ago-
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/trussworthy-6-5-done.58699/

I've got a lead on a couple different conversion kits, so I should be able to find something. Will probably begin the build over Christmastime, so I'm sure I'll have more questions about the actual work soon!
Checked out the build thread; huge amount of work went into that, and it shows! Thinking a set of 50's-60's truss rods on the front of mine might look good!

If anyone out there is still interested, the Varsity is still a-go and now underway.

I purchased a donor bike Monday, and have been swapping parts over steadily since. It's the first time I've messed with a 3-piece crank (which may not be a huge accomplishment, but has been a learning experience) and have treated myself to a couple presents from Park Tool in the process.

The next step is to swap the BB as mentioned earlier (photos here show a mocked set-up). The one I've sourced is a NECO model with a 110.5mm spindle and 68mm shell (http://www.virtuebike.com/bottombracketandhardware/neco-bottom-bracket-1105-mm): is the converter from Harris Cyclery still a good choice, or is another option better? I know the 1 to 3 pc. conversion isn't especially common, but I'm hoping for advice from those who've also attempted it.

Last i checked, Harris was selling the SRAM conversion; it's absolutely fine. However, you're in Indiana. If you're going to be getting it shipped anyway, check out these guys: http://porkchopbmx.com/Euro-to-American-Bicycle-Bottom-Bracket-Adapter-SILVER-BBIMBA01.htm Same price, but 20% off right now, plus shipping is free if you order over $50 of stuff, and i guarantee they got plenty of stuff you'll want. Best of all, porkchopbmx is a RRB sponsor, so you'll be supporting this site, too.

Interesting and surprised I haven't seen this sooner. I have a 1971 Varsity I am building right now into a single speed/fixed gear style. The bike came with a bottom bracket installed, but the side case part that was installed previously is stuck in it. The bottom bracket that was in it (I just ordered a new one) is here at this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VT550K/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TE9IQP68MWQU

Its the same as the only there. I started with a frame, fork and handle bars. I've since surfed craigslist for a set of the thick rim fixie wheels from State Bicycle Co. And have been fortunate enough to have almost the whole thing together besides the bottom bracket. I'm dying to ride it so I am keeping original paint on there for now. Like your progress so far, keep at it!!

Thanks, Jacque! I've been doing work the the aluminum brake caliper I'm swapping over, but haven't made much additional progress due to the holidays. Hope to have that brake cabled-up tonight.

It seems I've messed up: I ordered the Truvativ Amer. to Euro. Conv. like the one above, but didn't get it for Niagara's price ($18.99, free shipping from Wal-Mart's site) and didn't get it in chrome like Porkchop's (which may have looked better on the bike overall). In fact, when I searched online, Niagara BC did not surface as a supplier in my search - something I thought weird, as I've bought plenty from them before.

The Wally World piece (which comes direct from Truvativ, just like Niagara's) should arrive later today or tomorrow, so I'll mock her up and see if I don't need to return and re-order.

Received the BB a-dap-tur kit from Bike Wagon this afternoon. Should have the chance to fit everything up in the next few days - figure I'll stay on course for now, until the look of that silver anodized piece drives me crazy enough to buy one. :crazy2:

Also considering the addition of two Wald No. 80 fender/guards on the build - they seem great in the way of saving weight and cost, but look as though they could be too small to be of any true help running through rain, mud, etc. Any one try these before, or have a picture of their own build sporting them?

I haven't but a guy on bikeforums had a Schwinn with 27" wheels and he mounted the Wald 80 fenders up. I believe he used Velo-Orange stays and hardware but I'm willing to bet you can run the pressed steel braces without any real problems.... you just might have to do some creative massaging to get the fenderline on-point.

That's basically what I'd figured. Pretty basic install, obviously.

Does anyone know of a 21.1mm adjustable stem on the market today? A search recently netted nothing.

Im sure you can find one on eBay. Are you looking for the quill style or the thread less style?

The newer 21.1 stems with a 25.4 clamp are mostly Sunlite/Origin-8 stuff. These are mid-quality, and either steel/alloy or all alloy construction. If it can be sanded and painted, I see no reason not to use the original Varsity stem, unless you anticipate a lot of bar changes later in the bike's lifetime.

Here's something kinda similar that I ride right now:

I later changed from the old Raleigh drop stem on it in the picture to an upright Origin-8 stem with a 2-bolt clamp, just to bring the riding position up/back a little. I'm still considering doing a bar flip, and going fully upright.

Latest posts

Back