Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was there some frame work done on the 24" frame? The top tube and seat stays look lower on the seat tube. Maybe the 24"s were that way?
The lower bar has been booger welded back to the seat tube but the top bar and the top stays have not been touched. Right side top stay is flattened for about 4" just below the fender bracket, left side has a dent. Lower right has 3 dents on the inside and one on the outside opposite one on the inside where it looks to have been pinched. Left side has a couple dents on the outside. And where the kickstand mounts both sides have a couple big dents. I'm going to be surprised if anything is still square on the back of this bike. I'll know more once I have it apart and on the rack. I do like the original Brite green paint that's underneath the silver spray paint.

Last edited:
I’ll be in for a scratch build, probably a Gravel Grinder, but, in which category? It will likely match both sets of parameters… Oh decisions!
Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

I apologize if my response came off that way. I was just pointing it out as an option

I’m all for post apoc, TOC, zombie, sports, or whatever theme builds. They’re some of my favorites. But we just don’t have the bandwidth to support from an official RRB standpoint

As for the reoccurring ones we have been moving towards a reoccurring and structured format so the timeframe and themes are well known in advance so folks can plan. Focusing on what has historically gotten the most site traffic and engagement. The biggest issue with constantly having different themes is defining the rule set which inevitably some people get upset for one reason or another. Putting together the front end work, sub section setups, voting, and wrap up are pretty time consuming for staff. Some form of stability at least saves much of the front end work

Hopefully that sheds some light on the thought process
I understand all that. In the original post you had just mentioned some changes... And people seem to be into the klunkers etc. Just a thought being so little entered with the muscle(or finished), maybe combine the muscle and off-road, and then do a winter build with another 2 combo idea. Just throwing it out there. It might be easy to keep the same builds going year in n out, but it becomes stagnant , and other builders lose interest. And the point is, is too have traffic and fun. Oh the more rules, the better the challenge. Just throwing thoughts around CA.

It depends if I enter or not.
I always go after my gut and if I see the 'buildoff' section pop up. So I'm highly unpredictable, sorry.

But I have a few frames in my shed. And if (if!!) I enter with those, I have some great ideas. Certainly a class 2 build.

I have a bog standard red cruiser frame. Its nearly new. I can cut this one and turn it into a uncomfortable riding 'food' themed build :grin:

And a "Batavus Delivery" style frame with thick, large diameter tubing, perfect for a build I have in the back of my head too: Gender bender + Drillium or speed holes.
Pictures:
cd29c2db64914b177926fd7f7fcd6792.jpeg

761b78458d399fb0d35e551650d0ac1a.jpeg

I understand all that. In the original post you had just mentioned some changes... And people seem to be into the klunkers etc. Just a thought being so little entered with the muscle(or finished), maybe combine the muscle and off-road, and then do a winter build with another 2 combo idea. Just throwing it out there. It might be easy to keep the same builds going year in n out, but it becomes stagnant , and other builders lose interest. And the point is, is too have traffic and fun. Oh the more rules, the better the challenge. Just throwing thoughts around CA.
That's why the main buildoff from may to august is my favorite :heart:
I can build whatever I have lying around.
Are the 'main' buildoffs not the most visited/have the most entries?

On the other hand I can completely understand a 'streamlined/specific' buildoff. It would be even more fun if all builders came together to ride or race their bikes, but I understand that is quite the challenge :grin:

That's why the main buildoff from may to august is my favorite :heart:
I can build whatever I have lying around
👍
Are the 'main' buildoffs not the most visited/have the most entries?
Absolutely
On the other hand I can completely understand a 'streamlined/specific' buildoff
👍

Just a thought being so little entered with the muscle(or finished), maybe combine the muscle and off-road, and then do a winter build with another 2 combo idea
That’s what we’ll be discussing to see what if any changes need to occur

Oh the more rules, the better the challenge
Some would disagree 😂

I like the look of this one
1702052596978.png

On the other hand I can completely understand a 'streamlined/specific' buildoff. It would be even more fun if all builders came together to ride or race their bikes, but I understand that is quite the challenge :grin:
I think a highly specified build challenge would be fun, but I think a specific build would appeal to fewer people. Say we were to do a class for an authentic 70s style track bike with fixed gear, brutal ergos, sew on tires and the whole bit. I think that would be really cool and I would be tempted to join the fun but I don't really want one of those. The 'skinny' class works better for me so I can have leeway to use parts on hand and just get creative. Though it seems everytime I say I'm probably not going to build something I wind up doing it anyways. :21:

Getting together for an event is a cool idea. It would be quite the challenge to get folks together though.

I came across this old Hawthorne on CL. Is it worth the $300 asking price? It would be if it was a stingray. I just don't know values on old muscle bikes. Just getting ready for the next MBBO. :bigsmile:
1702056113084.png

I like the look of this one
View attachment 253948

I think a highly specified build challenge would be fun, but I think a specific build would appeal to fewer people. Say we were to do a class for an authentic 70s style track bike with fixed gear, brutal ergos, sew on tires and the whole bit. I think that would be really cool and I would be tempted to join the fun but I don't really want one of those. The 'skinny' class works better for me so I can have leeway to use parts on hand and just get creative. Though it seems everytime I say I'm probably not going to build something I wind up doing it anyways. :21:

Getting together for an event is a cool idea. It would be quite the challenge to get folks together though.

A get together? Great idea! My 2 picks would be either the beautiful waters of the Mediterranean Sea. FunkMe could let us stay at their place for a couple of weeks. :eek: The other option would be Berlin (can you say campground?). I am already on my way to Harbor Fright to buy colored lites for my bici.🎆

The lower bar has been booger welded back to the seat tube but the top bar and the top stays have not been touched. Right side top stay is flattened for about 4" just below the fender bracket, left side has a dent. Lower right has 3 dents on the inside and one on the outside opposite one on the inside where it looks to have been pinched. Left side has a couple dents on the outside. And where the kickstand mounts both sides have a couple big dents. I'm going to be surprised if anything is still square on the back of this bike. I'll know more once I have it apart and on the rack. I do like the original Brite green paint that's underneath the silver spray paint.
Surprisingly the rear end although beat up is square. So it is the front runner for this build. That may change. I got a call from the local bike shop owner this evening. Someone stopped into his shop yesterday and wants to give away around 80-90 bikes. Says there is not much newer type bikes, it's mostly "older" stuff. The shop owner is only interested in couple parts he needs and the rest can be mine. Hoping to set up a time this weekend to go take a look. And hopefully it's not an all or nothing deal.

Surprisingly the rear end although beat up is square. So it is the front runner for this build. That may change. I got a call from the local bike shop owner this evening. Someone stopped into his shop yesterday and wants to give away around 80-90 bikes. Says there is not much newer type bikes, it's mostly "older" stuff. The shop owner is only interested in couple parts he needs and the rest can be mine. Hoping to set up a time this weekend to go take a look. And hopefully it's not an all or nothing deal.
Yep, you're going to need a bike warehouse. Cool score!

Yep, you're going to need a bike warehouse. Co
There are a couple vacant storefronts on main Street I had been thinking about buying for about $2000.00 cash and a bunch of free labor building a large workshop for the curry owner. So if those bikes are legit I'll be buying at least one of them for storage.

Someone stopped into his shop yesterday and wants to give away around 80-90 bikes. Says there is not much newer type bikes, it's mostly "older" stuff
Lol I misread that at first, and thought it might be a few bikes from the 80s-90s...
Eighty or ninety actual bikes? Holy smokes! Could be a score for the ages!

Back