Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentle reminder to all who occasionally bring up "anything goes" as a category... That's exactly what Class 2 of the annual big build off is and Class 1 isn't far from it just no major frame mods. Also, every build off now has roughly 30 days in between where a mini build off could easily be wedged in like the ol March Shootout I've ran a few times. (Might actually morph into the April Shootout this year) so the fringe interest builds, like 1900's etc, where less folks would likely enter can still be tried.

Last edited:
I quess I’m out. I started my off road 1940s-50s European inspired tracker tribute, like this one.
IMG_2992.jpeg
It’s too cold in the winter to do much so I did almost all the frame mods already. I used forge brazing to enlarge and extend the head tube to match the springer fork.
IMG_4316.jpeg
IMG_4322.jpeg

View attachment 254199
IMG_4491.jpeg
IMG_4492.jpeg

View attachment 254190
View attachment 254196
I’ve also made a replacement for the rusted out original springer springs with a modified Schwinn spring.
IMG_4469.jpeg

image.jpg

I’ve also welded on a frame brace to cope with the rear drum brake.
IMG_4321.jpeg
IMG_4324.jpeg

As it sits today. Stored out of the way as I have to build inside in the winter.View attachment 254202
So am I too far along? I probably wouldn't finish in 3 months anyway, but it would be fun to try.

Last edited:
I quest I’m out. I started my off road 1940s-50s European inspired tracker tribute, like this one. View attachment 254187 It’s too cold in the winter to do much so I did almost all the frame mods already. I used forge brazing to enlarge and extend the head tube to match the springer fork. View attachment 254188View attachment 254189
View attachment 254199View attachment 254200View attachment 254201
View attachment 254190
View attachment 254196
I’ve also made a replacement for the rusted out original springer springs with a modified Schwinn spring.
View attachment 254192
View attachment 254193
I’ve also welded on a frame brace to cope with the rear drum brake.View attachment 254195View attachment 254194
As it sits today. Stored out of the way as I have to build inside in the winter.View attachment 254202
So am I too far along? I probably wouldn't finish in 3 months anyway, but it would be fun to try.
Were good 👍

I quest I’m out. I started my off road 1940s-50s European inspired tracker tribute, like this one. View attachment 254187 It’s too cold in the winter to do much so I did almost all the frame mods already. I used forge brazing to enlarge and extend the head tube to match the springer fork. View attachment 254188View attachment 254189
View attachment 254199View attachment 254200View attachment 254201
View attachment 254190
View attachment 254196
View attachment 254192
View attachment 254193
I’ve also welded on a frame brace to cope with the rear drum brake.View attachment 254195View attachment 254194

Were good 👍

What he said

I might continue my current build, although modified in some ways, as it is difficult working in the winter when there is a ton of snow on the ground and your workshop has an open door.

The other year I built a cardboard 'fuel tank' and seat in my flat, and I might make another tank for my current frame. At least I have a finished seat now, although I might use that for a future build and make a new one for this bike that suits the tank. I have taken apart my old office seat and have the curved seat and back boards that will be ideal.

Do you plan to keep all 3 baskets on there? :grin:
Thanks! -I am going through a basket phase!

I’m going to keep the rear baskets on there (I actually bought those about a month ago…. (They’re not technically mounted yet) and replace the small gray front basket on there with the larger, rustier one I have laying on top.

pulled some chrome rusty fenders out of my stash.

Last edited:
Buy a storefront for $2000??? Wow.
Yeah, the town has declined in the last decade or so. The only business's left are the gas station, a part time bike shop, part time post office and a grain elevator. Population with surrounding farms is about 350ish people. The bike shop owner just purchased a vacant lot and the old bar on main street for $4500.00 and is turning the bar into a bicycle museum. There are 3 other stores fronts available, was 4, but they knocked one down this summer. Probably pickup the vacant lot left after that and the other 3 store fronts for $6000 or so. All next to each other. The city has suspended zoning. You can build what you like, where you like.

I plan to be in the ORBO with my first-ever BMX build. Going to transform this 24 inch Free Spirit 10-speed bike into an early '70s-era MX-style bike. What was cool about those early BMX bikes, in my opinion, was that they were sort of an evolution of the muscle bike. Those early MX bikes still had fenders, chain guards, banana seats, and some even had tanks! So that's how I'm going to build mine. I've got a set of 24 inch slicks for the skatepark, a set of 24 inch knobby tires for the dirt, and if I want to, I've even got a skinnier 24 inch tire I could slap on the front for more of a muscle bike look!
BftD_BMX_mockup_oct_20_2023.jpg
BftD_BMX_paint_scheme.jpg

I was going to enter my Monark Western Flyer in the ORBO as a klunker/bomber build, but I did some more mockups last night and decided to take it a completely different direction. So, unless I decide to build up one of my other frames as a klunker, I'm just going to stick to one bike for this build off.
BftD_monark_old_mockups_8.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_14.jpg

Back