NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
predfan2001 said:
I got a wild hair this morning and thought (maybe) I'd throw the chrome tubular forks and BMX cruiser bars off on my Schwinn Sidewinder and this bike....then maybe some knobbies. And of course...nothing fit. NOTHING! Well the tires would have. :oops:
DSCF4176.jpg

DSCF4171.jpg

Sounds about like what I did to mine...Fun Ride...

snarehead123 said:
glad to her from you again sandy i put new bars on my op also new grips, the chain was real tight but once i put some slack in it all my rear hub troubles went away. i want to change my seat what brand do you have on yours? also alot of people are saying it is tough to put a springer on these bikes but yours looks great how did you do it was it a chore? let me know! thanks happy riding! :D
hey snarehead123, i had a few electra replacement parts lying arount and that is what i used. the springer fork is for an electra frame that has a head tube that is 8 1/2". you should be able to find them online, just shop around. i saw one on amazon from bikeworldusa, but i think it's a little pricey. you can also try the chopper forks on this frame, although you'll have to change the goose neck. just like the green or black electra bike, i believe it is the rat fink and eightball bike, i'm really not sure what model. the seat i got from sport chalet, they were getting rid of their electra stock. I got it for 20 bucks. I usually try to buy close out items from sporting goods or bike stores. Sometimes you can find good deals. I noticed someone posted their op bike pic with the painted "aluminum" word still on the frame, it comes off pretty easy. I just used my fingernails and it didn't scratch the frame. good luck! we are still getting a lot of compliments, and no one suspects it came from walmart. they all think its an electra.

partsguy said:
all the brands in wal-mart are owned by the same company and built side by side in the same plant in china.

So are $500.oo bikes at the LBS.

sandyv said:
snarehead123 said:
glad to her from you again sandy i put new bars on my op also new grips, the chain was real tight but once i put some slack in it all my rear hub troubles went away. i want to change my seat what brand do you have on yours? also alot of people are saying it is tough to put a springer on these bikes but yours looks great how did you do it was it a chore? let me know! thanks happy riding! :D
hey snarehead123, i had a few electra replacement parts lying arount and that is what i used. the springer fork is for an electra frame that has a head tube that is 8 1/2". you should be able to find them online, just shop around. i saw one on amazon from bikeworldusa, but i think it's a little pricey. you can also try the chopper forks on this frame, although you'll have to change the goose neck. just like the green or black electra bike, i believe it is the rat fink and eightball bike, i'm really not sure what model. the seat i got from sport chalet, they were getting rid of their electra stock. I got it for 20 bucks. I usually try to buy close out items from sporting goods or bike stores. Sometimes you can find good deals. I noticed someone posted their op bike pic with the painted "aluminum" word still on the frame, it comes off pretty easy. I just used my fingernails and it didn't scratch the frame. good luck! we are still getting a lot of compliments, and no one suspects it came from walmart. they all think its an electra.

that was prolly my bike. all i have left on it is the white words "aluminum" on mine and the "OP" on the seat.

FOUND OBJECTS said:
predfan2001 said:
I got a wild hair this morning and thought (maybe) I'd throw the chrome tubular forks and BMX cruiser bars....quote]

DSCF4171.jpg

Sounds about like what I did to mine...Fun Ride...

Like I've said here before, these larger bikes are totally new to me, I've always fooled around with old school BMX stuff....but yesterday I learned about Klunkers here on the forum. Since I plan on my Cranbrook to be the bike I carry on camping trips to ride around the campgrounds and on hiking trails, I really want to add BMX style bars, knobbies and stronger cranks and pedals. I guess that would be sort of a Klunker inspired contraption.

It IS true that the "name brands" you find at Wal-Mart are usually extra-cheap versions made sub-standard, just for Wal-Mart. I am not particularly anti-WM by any means--but the fact is that Wal-Mart wants to sell a brand name for the lowest price possible, and doesn't much care what sort of c*** it's stuck on as long as people will pay for it and drag it out the door. It's not a rumor, it is a fact, and there is proof out there.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go; just be aware what paying the lower prices for "name brands" there is probably getting you.

------

That said,,,,,, uhhh,,,,,,,,, I have bought a couple cut-up bikes from Wal-Mart too. :lol:
I've even got one sitting untouched right now, for a project I never got around to doing.

I needed a STEEL frame to cut up and re-weld for a lean-steer trike I wanted to build. Other bike-parts places online wanted $65 + shipping for a bare MTB frame, while Wal-mart had a 3x5-speed steel-frame MTB I could order ship-to-store for $75. The components are all junky, I expected that, but that $75 got me most of the parts I needed for the attempt.
~

Our local Wal Mart has a 29er for under $150. Im sure its junk, but you cant buy wheels and tires for that, let alone the frame.

Hi
I was wondering where FOUND OBJECTS got his seat at for his bike? It is a style I have been looking for awhile. Please let me know where I can get my hands on one or two. And how much? Thanks. Leo

Re: NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (a $449.00 roadie?)

Yep,
Took a few pics at my local Wal-mart the other day. I ask you, would buy a $449 bike from them? Also, snapped an odd 'comfort bike' Schwinn frame and a Mongooose 29'er?!?!???
Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

the orange and white bike would make a good winter training bike. I'd probably buy it if it was $350

I've not seen the Cachet, but the OP is on my wish list. I pulled one off the rack and was surprised at how light the bike was. When I sat on it, it seemed to fit me better than the Cranbrook. I bought a Next cruiser about 4 yrs. ago, and it is too short, my foot hits the front wheel when I turn. I've tried a few different things with that bike, now I'm thinking it's going to get chopped up and reconfigured. I'm glad I've read this whole post, now I know what to look out for when I get the OP.

I had an OP cruiser for a day. Just didn't feel right, nothing I can put my finger on, though. Of course at 6'1" not many cruisers feel "right". Anyway, I returned it and bought my Electra. It cost a little more than double, but it was worth it to me.

Which Electra did you buy? The OP looks so much like the frame on their 'Cruiser' that I wonder, ya know? I think it would be cool to turn an OP into a Electra Deluxe/Deluxe Relic
26inch-ocean-pacific-mens-beach-cruiser-bike_BG08561.jpg

To:
electra-super-deluxe-3i-2010-city-bike.jpg

Not that far a stretch,right?

Which Electra did you buy? The OP looks so much like the frame on their 'Cruiser' that I wonder, ya know? I think it would be cool to turn an OP into a Electra Deluxe/Deluxe Relic
Hey Dr. T- you might be on to something here.

Back