NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a 3 day weekend and a few extra bucks....wanting a quickie project so I think I'm gonna hit Wallyword and pick up a Schwinn Delmar or the Huffy Cranbrook. I like the color of the Cranbrook better (dk blue with blue rims) but I also have a set of Troy Lee Welder Girl decals for a Schwinn BMX that I sure would like to use on a cruiser.

Just my 2 cents. After owning and riding a few of the newer Electra models, I would easily pick an OP over the Huffy. The Huffy's are way too short, giving a cramped riding riding position, and they ARE quite heavy. I saw a Cranbrook in a store, and for such a tiny looking bike, I was shocked at how heavy it was. The OP cruiser appears to be on track with the new school cruiser geometry, as well as being lighter in weight. It looks like OP is trying to copy an Electra Coaster, or similar model. Sure, the Huffy's come with cool features, but they sure look uncomfortable, and inefficient.

Like I said, for me, after riding the Electra's, the many decade old classic cruiser geometry (and weight)is not so attractive, anymore, and the OP bike gets my vote.

Re: NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART

TheFlyingDingo said:
I love those tires...but yet to find a bike that would look right with them
For the price, I sure like 'em on my ride.
IMG_6868.jpg

I've built two motorized bikes out of Cranbrooks, and I cannot recommend them to anybody... unless you pull the wheels and bars off and chunk the rest. The welds on them are scary, at best... they are rather cramped, the cranks/pedals tend to strip on them, and so on.

The wheels and the fenders seemed okay, though they are very heavy... I'd use one for parts, but I probably wouldn't build a bike out of one again.

I'm seriously diggin on the OP one, though. Might have to see if I can find one locally.

I was just looking at the Walmart website...have you seen the Polaris cruiser? The frame looks pretty cool.

i bought my OP for the lines and its price. i had to return the original as the threads on the steer tube were stripped. found out when i tried to get the fork off.

my 1st one made the "clunk" noise in the crank and i adjusted the tension on the chain and it still did it. the new one does it also and the chain is fine on it.

i havent had a problem with bike number two and i think the 1st one was an assembly error. the welds look nice on the bike too. im currently changing things on mine,slowly but ill get it to where i want it sooner or later.

i had been thinking of a cranny build, but after rereading this whole thread last nite, i think the OP would be the cheapest way to be cool. 8) im not so concerned about the hub, i would replace it with a nexus or sturmey anyhow. maybe try the new 2-speed. first off i would remove decals and listen to everyone guess what it is. :D santa, are you listening? ive been a good little rat....

Got up early this morning and went to Walmart....looked at the OP, Schwinn Delmar and the Huffy Cranbrook again. The OP just doesn't do it for me so it was between the other 2. I'm sure the Delmar is a better quality bike, but the skinny wheels and the "non-peelable" graphics really turned me off. Plus every Delmar they had was scratched somewhere and the chessy head badges were peeling off all of them.

So for nearly $50.00 less, (the in store price of the Delmar is $119.00-$75.00 for the Cranbrook) I came home with the Cranbrook. It is a little cramped and the weld look like chicken poo...but I just want a quick weekend project and I'll probably give it to my girlfriend. Now to start ripping it apart! :mrgreen:

Photo09040803_1.jpg

predfan2001 said:
Heck man...it's already done! :D

you didn't waste any time tearing in to that Cranbrook! the changes look good. feels a little less cramped, i'm guessing, between that seat post and those handlebars.

i've gotta take a look at that OP bike over at Sprawl-Mart. i really like that frame and i'd like to have a roomier cruiser.

first post-9:16. next post-2:52. so how long did you take off for lunch? :lol:

UncleKudzu said:
you didn't waste any time tearing in to that Cranbrook! the changes look good. feels a little less cramped, i'm guessing, between that seat post and those handlebars.

i've gotta take a look at that OP bike over at Sprawl-Mart. i really like that frame and i'd like to have a roomier cruiser.

Dude I'm 6' 1" and I still ride old BMX bikes...all bikes feel cramped to me! :lol:

X-RAY said:
first post-9:16. next post-2:52. so how long did you take off for lunch? :lol:

I took a little beer break :oops: .

I think the most time consuming part was cleaning all of the adhesive off of the frame after peeling the stickers. That seemed to take forever. The bike rides great and I did replace those thin tubes that came with the Cranbrook....they seem paper thin.

Another great thing about this little project is the left over parts. The fenders seem ok to me. I've read alot of comments talking about how thin and cheap they are but they are as thick as any other fenders I have. I put the paper thin tubes, seat post, seat post clamp, tires and handlebars on my dumpster cruiser. Surely I can get $35-$40 out of this thing on CL. It rides good.

S6303669.jpg

I don't see it. To me, all the brands in wal-mart are owned by the same company and built side by side in the same plant in china. They are all just as unreliable. Wally world junk I call it. To each his own, though.

partsguy said:
I don't see it. To me, all the brands in wal-mart are owned by the same company and built side by side in the same plant in china. They are all just as unreliable. Wally world junk I call it. To each his own, though.

It's about the money.

partsguy said:

How reliable does a cruiser have to be? They're all about fun to me...serious riding is reserved for my road bike and mtn bike (which are both higher end).

predfan2001 said:
partsguy said:

How reliable does a cruiser have to be? They're all about fun to me...serious riding is reserved for my road bike and mtn bike (which are both higher end).

i agree !

I got a wild hair this morning and thought (maybe) I'd throw the chrome tubular forks and BMX cruiser bars off on my Schwinn Sidewinder and this bike....then maybe some knobbies. And of course...nothing fit. NOTHING! Well the tires would have. :oops:

Back