NEW PHOTOS OF MY COLUMBIA UPDATED mar/18/2009

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: UPDATED PHOTOS OF MY COLUMBIA 2/10/2009!!!

Like i said, I need some less close-up pictures to see how it sits(if it is in the middle of the steer tube or not). I can't tell form the close-ups. I'm not talking about how it is rotated, but how it physically sits...

BrigmasterA said:
Like i said, I need some less close-up pictures to see how it sits(if it is in the middle of the steer tube or not). I can't tell form the close-ups. I'm not talking about how it is rotated, but how it physically sits...
i dont mean to be rude but i just dont understand so sometime this week im going to take it to one of the bike shops and get cost on how much it would cost to grease the chain and im going to have them put my vintage replacement reflecter on as the old one is busted and i will have them check my fork and make sure its on the right way

Well, I don't know how else to explain it... The steer tube is the part of the fork that has the threads for the nut and the bearing race. I can't tell from your close-up pics is how this is sitting in the head tube of the frame. If it is straight, like it would be if all the bearings are there. The stem(the part you used from the rollfast that holds the handlebars) goes in this steer tube. But I'm sure the bike shop that you're taking this to will be able to get you set up right. Maybe ask them if you can watch when you do this, just so you can learn more about your new hobby. Might be easier to see it done rather than have monkeys like me trying to explain stuff... It never hurts to learn as much as you can about new hobbies... Good luck man! Again, I really like that fork. The rat-trap springers are my favorite style of springer...

i redid the fork again it seems to be tighter this time could stand some grease though i really hope i got it right this time

im not 100% but it looks like the steer tube on the forks is about 1" too short for that headtube.......if thats the case youre going to need to swap the forks for something that fits or cut down the head tube*i cant really say if thats a realistic option until theres some better pictures though......from the side (l/r)and straight on(forward)* but thats what i see in the ones you have posted....

That steer tube does look too short. You can rig it but I wouldnt. I say dive in...save some of that LBS money for yourself...
If there is a bearing missing, you can take them all out of the "housing" and free-ball it. Put some grease down, then lay the bearings in the greased cup, side by side till full all the way around, then remove one ball..it'll take more bearings than with the "housing" though.
Try to get better pics if possible..or a drawing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

definetly too short of a headtube. but in the closeup pics,it looks like the top bearing race has been left off! :shock: lookin` at those close up pics,reminded me of why i quit drinking! :lol: :lol:

Markm said:
That steer tube does look too short. You can rig it but I wouldnt. I say dive in...save some of that LBS money for yourself...
If there is a bearing missing, you can take them all out of the "housing" and free-ball it. Put some grease down, then lay the bearings in the greased cup, side by side till full all the way around, then remove one ball..it'll take more bearings than with the "housing" though.
Try to get better pics if possible..or a drawing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
thanks i copied the message and sent it to the bike shop guy

im going to have the bike shop rig it for me if i can afford it im sorry but really dont understand your instuctions markm on how to rig it

actually I said DONT rig it if the steer tube is too short. I was telling you how to "rig" bearings. I also suggested that you dig in and tear it apart and learn the bike from top to bottom thus saving your money from the bike shop :mrgreen: .

Markm said:
actually I said DONT rig it if the steer tube is too short. I was telling you how to "rig" bearings. I also suggested that you dig in and tear it apart and learn the bike from top to bottom thus saving your money from the bike shop :mrgreen: .
im just going to have the bike shop put lots of grease in it because how i have it now is
tight just dry and creeky so im going to have them put grease up and down the fork stem and put the balls in the bearings an grese those

Not for nothin' man, but your bike shop probably won't do that for you. What these guys are telling you is that what you have right now is done wrong, and won't work as it is. You are missing the bearings that are supposed to go on the top of the fork and allow it to turn smoothly. If your shop is willing to do what you are asking and let you ride out of there, they are unsafe and irresponsible.
Those forks WILL NOT work on that bike as it sits, no matter how much grease you pack in there. A bike is a really simple machine. There's not too much that you can leave out and still have it work like it's supposed to. Look at the parts you took off when you removed the first fork set. See which ones aren't on the new one you put on there.
The tube needs to be longer so that those parts (a race, which is cone shaped and a lock washer) can fit on top and hold bearings in place. Without those parts, there's nothing for the bearings to move against, and your forks won't work like they should. Or at all. Until you find forks that work, go back to the original forks. Much safer for you.

Re:MY CAT ate a whole live MOOSE

this is a public :idea: :idea: :?: :arrow:

does

i dont see why it wouldnt work.. the wheel is a lot smaller than what it could be.. you sure it will be rideable and wont drag on the ground with such a small wheel and a bent springer? i would go with a 20" at the least. with a bent springer they are pretty much at a 90 degree angle so it would drop that bike a lot and then a 16" wheel would drop it more. it might not be rideable. :?

You might also have to buy shorter cranks, so you can pedal.

texasbigjon said:
definetly too short of a headtube. but in the closeup pics,it looks like the top bearing race has been left off! :shock: lookin` at those close up pics,reminded me of why i quit drinking! :lol: :lol:
Looking at those close ups makes me wanna drink. :lol:

blank

Back