"New" 2 speed Kickback Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LBS today and the owner gave me the 2008 Schwinn catalog. He knows I have a couple of bikes with Bendix 2spd. hubs (he laced the wheels for me). So he pointed out that some of the Sport Cruisers Had in their descriptions "New Schwinn Approved 2-Speed "Kickback" Rear Hub". He knew nothing more about these hubs because he hasn't ordered any of these bikes yet. It will be great if these hubs are available again. Maybe some of the dealers of this site can keep us posted?

Just like Christmas...

Wow...the 2008 Schwinns are out! :eek:

2 speed kickbacks...COOL!

The SS sport with a 2 speed kick back would be desirable:

lg_24.23.S8SSS.jpg

But it doesn't have one...Schwinn have missed the boat again :wink:

(no more Sting-rays, classic or new :| )

and and and

and what is that little box in front of the crank/pedals on the 'Sid/Nancy'

lg_29.17.S8SID.jpg

Shimano Coasting with 3-speed rear ??? Shimano Coasting CPU??? some sorta auto???

and what does this bike have to do with the Sex Pistols? was there another Sid and Nancy?

Yep

Yep it is...some research shows it's the same set up as the Trek Lime. Not sure how many people truely can't deal with shifting gears but, we live in a technoweinie world.

http://www.trekbikes.com/lime/

Bendix two speeds

Fro my money there's nothing better than the bendix two speed kick back hub. My dad and I recently purchased a big collection of them from a man that owned a bike shop in Wisconsin. We got original parts still in the factory packaging. They are brand new. We rebuild and repair them. I like the simplicity of no cables.

how much abuse can the old ones take before a rebuild? if ya got any 28 holes youd be willin to part with i may be interested BTW.

They can last a long time. I've been riding on my current one for about 4 years and works like a champ. Are you looking for red band or yellow band?

Both are the same speeds right ? ("direct drive" w/an "overdrive" and bluebands were "direct drive" with an "underdrive") just differ on the brake parts ?

Id really like a redband if possible, LMK :)

ScharfCustoms said:
They can last a long time. I've been riding on my current one for about 4 years and works like a champ. Are you looking for red band or yellow band?
hey I was just looking at your webpage!
Those are some nice bikes, what's the specific name of the chainring on the speedster?

New information on the New kick backs.
http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/sho ... stcount=19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman
Speaking of the 2008 bikes, the DX models are claiming a 2 spd kickback hub. Any clues as to who is making it?

Matthew Grimm of Kogswell is on the case:

> At Interbike 2006, I spoke to a SRAM employee who said that
> Dahon had approached SRAM and asked if they could produce
> a two-speed hub.
>
> SRAM looked into it and found that a very large portion of the
> tooling was still in place -and- that the men who had last
> worked on engineering issues for the hub were both still
> on the payroll in Germany.
>
> So SRAMs answer to Dahon was a confident: if you really
> want it...
>
> I then spoke to Dahon and they confirmed that they had
> indeed had that conversation with SRAM. That's where
> I left it (hoping that something would brew up).
>
> So my guess is that something did brew up.
>
> That Scwinn must be made in China. And so it would
> be interesting to see the supply chain for that hub.
> Generally speaking, German hubs don't make their
> way into Chinese bicycles. That would ruin the
> margins. Unless a very large run of hubs was
> done and shipping to China.
>
> I have a guy who can sniff things out.
>
> I hope it is the old Torpedo. The old F&S designs
> are SO tough. The 2-speed Torpedo had its faults.
> But it was a Mercedes compared to the Bendix' Chevrolet
> hub.
>
> I am so excited.
>
> I love kickbacks.
>
> Matthew

So when you ride a kick back hub, does it get easier to peddle or harder to pedal when you go into the second speed?

I'm assuming it must get easier since the standard gearing on the red band coaster hubs on the vintage Schwinns were so hard to pedal to begin with.

?

Rat Rod said:
So when you ride a kick back hub, does it get easier to peddle or harder to pedal when you go into the second speed?

I'm assuming it must get easier since the standard gearing on the red band coaster hubs on the vintage Schwinns were so hard to pedal to begin with.

Sounds like they were starting in second and kicking into first :wink:

When I was six...a buddy had a 2 speed kick back but had no idea it was a 2 speed or why it sucked to start off sometimes. Not at all common up here. After a year or so...an 'older kid' explained to us what it was and how it worked. I remember KICKIN' other kids butts in drag racing with his bike after understanding how to shift :oops: heheheh...cheater. Bang second gear...walking away in the top end.

Ahhhhh...just another when I was kid story to bore ya all.

Hooch said:
the red and yellow band 2 speeds have a lower first gear and the blue band ones off stingrays were overdrives in 2nd atleast thats how I understand it

Yes I think that's right. The yellow and red have same gearing just different brakes. One shoes and one discs?

I rode one of my bikes with a red band last night. Can be a pain when riding where there's a lot of stopping and starting though i.e downtown.

Latest posts

Back