Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chad, I'm sure you've seen it, but take a glance at the Klunker Kalendar in the "Klunkers & Mountain Bikes" forum thread. Those were the top ten in the winter ORBO build this past season. You've got a nice one going here! Can't beat the Brooks.....and don't be afraid to triple the strength and frequency of the Proofide....it will get you riding in comfort in no time! Looking good! :thumbsup:

Chad, I'm sure you've seen it, but take a glance at the Klunker Kalendar in the "Klunkers & Mountain Bikes" forum thread. Those were the top ten in the winter ORBO build this past season. You've got a nice one going here! Can't beat the Brooks.....and don't be afraid to triple the strength and frequency of the Proofide....it will get you riding in comfort in no time! Looking good! :thumbsup:

There are some great ones on that calender. I always like to have a top ten list to look at too...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip on the Proofide.....I'm totally gonna schmear it again....:)

Thank you furyus. I have another option for brake levers that I think will give it a more classic/motorcycley look.

The First set of levers I found for this are 1990's Dia Compe PC-800 levers. Then as I got looking at more of the real clunkers I noticed these look a little modern for the style I'm going for.

lever.jpg

Got a nice set of Weinmann levers that would have been on a late sixties/seventies Schwinn. One thing I really like about them is the ball on the end. I think that gives them a more motorcycle look.

Here are the 2 next to each other.

lever2.jpg

Here's the bike with the Weinmanns.

levers2.jpg

and the Dia Compes.

p3.jpg

Kind of leaning towards the classic Weinmanns but I like the Dia Compes too. Thoughts?

Well, I like the Weinmanns. The thing is, the cable actuation might not be great for your rear disc brake. The disc brakes are set to work with certain types of levers, not even all the v-brake levers are compatible. So, if you aren't too concerned about emergency stops......:nerd:

While I dig the Weinmanns too (putting a set of gold dots like those on my current project), with the other modern running gear you've got going on (the hubs,brakes, crankset) I'd go with the Dia-Comps.

Just my .02

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for Dia Compes

stunning work on all the parts ! looks like such a great ride ! :41::rockout:

Last edited:
+1 for Dia Compes

stunning work on all the parts ! looks like such a great ride ! :41::rockout:

Thank you!!

Well, I like the Weinmanns. The thing is, the cable actuation might not be great for your rear disc brake. The disc brakes are set to work with certain types of levers, not even all the v-brake levers are compatible. So, if you aren't too concerned about emergency stops......:nerd:

Thank you OJ. Functionality should be similar. I know I've used the Weinmanns with modern brakes and they work well especially if you file down the stops and open them up. The Dia Compes are canti levers so the 2 sets should be similar.

When I read about levers for disc it said v-brake or canti lever compatible? So I figured the canti levers might make the disc a little touchy which should be OK on the rear. Front brake will be a wide cyclocross cantilever setup.

While I dig the Weinmanns too (putting a set of gold dots like those on my current project), with the other modern running gear you've got going on (the hubs,brakes, crankset) I'd go with the Dia-Comps.

Thank you Dr. Tankenstein. Trying to mix in a few classic components and these Weinmann levers work fairly well. I feel like the Dia Compes might look out of place on the bars.

Functionality aside, I guess the real question is. Which ones look cooler?:D

Great looking Classic klunk . You've mad some nice choices . Not sure on the brake lever I'm kinda a di comp fan but the others look more classic [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dia-Compes are not as classic looking, but then neither are the disc brakes. The Weinmanns fit better with the motorcycle looking bars. My first opinion was Weinmanns and then I started thinking about it too much and liked how the black & silver Dia-Compes go with the shifter.

I'm glad I don't have to decide.:bigsmile:

Thank you guys so much for your thoughts on this. Really got me to thinking and I've decided to go with the Dia Compes which was my first choice for this anyways. No need to use those Weinmann levers on a 2000 model year bicycle.

Added some silver adjustment barrels to spruce them up a bit. Paint on them has like a blue pearl in it.

lever4.jpg

TRM is right about the black + silver going with the shifter.

lever3.jpg

One thing I really like about them is they are designed for grip shifters so a flanged bmx grip fits in there perfect. (well just about. These flanges are a little big.)

lever5.jpg

Have another set of grips I wanted to try if I went with these levers so there could be a grip chose soon.

Got the frame all ready to strip just waiting for the temp to warm up here. Was having a difficult time with the driver's side bottom bracket cup until I remembered about the tool I like to call "The Decision Maker"

....jpg

Gotta try and get some stripping done on this frame while the puppy (6 months old) is still sleeping.

gate.jpg

Last edited:
Your pup looks long and lean.....likes to get in the mix too I bet!

Nice chose . The dog says getter done I want to run !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think I've gotten as much enjoyment out of choosing levers as possible. Thank you all for playing along.

Had to knuckle down and strip the frame. Lots of sanding to look forward too. Bench is a mess.

st2.jpg

Took her outside for some slightly better pics. Big welds.

st3.jpg

st1.jpg

Thought the fat tubes might look odd stripped but it doesn't look too bad.

st5.jpg

Trick with the sanding is to make all the scratches uniform and in the direction of the tubes. This is with 150 grit paper.

st4.jpg

Your pup looks long and lean.....likes to get in the mix too I bet!

He's always in the mix if he's awake.

helper2.jpg

Nice chose . The dog says getter done I want to run !

I've had him running with the bike a few times. He gets a little rambunctious if he tries to go full blast. He's a fast one.

Looks like this should go decent. Frame is rough but the 150 grit seems to knock it down pretty fast. Lots of sanding to do.

Looking good Chad! Yep, always sand with the grain on aluminum. And polish with the grain on stainless steel. And go with your gut when you feel a particular urge to rat rod your bike!

Had to break that rule briefly as I spotted these 600 grit velcro discs for my buffer.

polish2.jpg

These really cut down the sanding time. After I hit it with the 600 on the buffer I wetsanded with the discs by hand, rubbed it with steel wool, Mother's polish and newspaper. Shine came right up by hand. No machine polishing.

polish3.jpg

polish4.jpg

polish.jpg

I can tell already it's going to be tricky getting pics of this bike. Back to work tonight for me. Will have weekends off next month.

Thats some good looking Metal!!! I will be going thru this on my chromoly Trek in the coming months. Glad to see the 600grit discs and flapwheels will cut it in after i sand it down.

Latest posts

Back