Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be a great bike for throwing around in a spirited manner :D

Man I love those bikes. Had one for a short time and I miss it.

Thank you fellas! I figured somebody on here would know about these. Hope you like what I've got planned for it.

I want to give it a modern drive train and kind of a classic clunker look.

With this stuff...:):):)

gruppo3.jpg

..and it shall go to eleven..:cool2:
shifter.jpg

but before I get to any of that I have to finish polishing these hoops.

Made some great progress on that today. Had to let the oven cleaner sit on them all night and it took a lot of scrubbing with scotch brite but the anodizing came off.

I've got them sanded to 1200 grit. Did them all by hand this time.

hoops2.jpg

Taking a quick lunch break then some 2000 grit and break out the polisher..:)...Little corrosion around the spoke holes but I'll leave that for some patina..:D

Very nice work ! You got a nice box of parts also . I bet you will be glad to move on to assembly after all that scrubbing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice work ! You got a nice box of parts also . I bet you will be glad to move on to assembly after all that scrubbing....

I'm so jealous of all the guys with wheels on their bikes already..:21:

I'm just about ready to lace up the back wheel. Still need to do some work on the front hub.

Before and after.

hoops3.jpg

Didn't have to worry too much about the outer edge as the tire covers it completely.

cb2.jpg

I think these tires will be cool for a street savvy clunker.

cb.jpg

Thank you guys! It's a good feeling having the hoops done.

I got the rear wheel built but the dish was off so I had to do some more trueing. Wasn't too bad. Actually left it on the bike with the tire on and just worked it over the way to needed to go.

Tried to get a pic of the wheel and tire in the frame today (I think it looks cool in the frame) but the wheel kept rolling out. Waiting on some axle nuts as I don't have any that fit a 10mm axle.

Here's the front hub. I just sanded and polished the outer flanges and am leaving the center black.

hubdecal.jpg

I bought that Micro Sol at the model train store down the street. It's supposed to make decals conform to irregular shapes. That hub has a raised center band so I had to use a lot of it. Turned out pretty good.

Will get some pics of it tomorrow before I lace it up. Decal is for a vintage Panther seat tube. I've got a big one from a vintage Panther chain guard I plan to use on the seat tube of this bike.

Meanwhile in other news....I sanded down these carbon fiber cranks I got. The carbon stuff is always a decent price if it has a big scratch in it.

cranks2.jpg

Little sanding took that out. I used the original chain ring (+the belt sander at work) to make a chain guard.

cranks3.jpg

There's been a big advance in these single front ring setups. The narrow/wide chain ring.

cranks4.jpg

It's kind of like a skip tooth. Every other tooth is fatter and will only fit between the outer plates of a chain.

nw.jpg

Derailleur pulleys are the same way.

derailleur2.jpg

Can't wait to try this X-Actuation business...:)

CT you have taken 1X to a new level on this build! Wow! Your rim polishing, chain guard fabrication, disc brake mount....and those parts....! Your klunker will rival some of the newest designs by the big boys....and 11 speed??? :113:

CT you have taken 1X to a new level on this build! Wow! Your rim polishing, chain guard fabrication, disc brake mount....and those parts....! Your klunker will rival some of the newest designs by the big boys....and 11 speed??? :113:

Thank you OddJob...now if I can just get it to gel together and look like it belongs together.

Looking great chad this thing is going to be a killer ride the trail is calling .

I might have to take this thing in the dirt. Kind of gets you in the mood building a klunker.

Never seen that narrow wide thing before, very cool!

Luke.

I hadn't either until I started looking at 11 speed parts. Could be my first 1x that doesn't drop a chain.

Looks like the story about Crazy Bob and the u-brake is not quite over.

cb3.jpg

With the wheel in far enough for the disc to sit inside the caliper the tire is too far up the chain stays.

I might be able to keep that caliper location if I get a larger rotor but for now I just made a new mount for the caliper on the seat stay. Started stripping some of the frame too.

brake5.jpg

Here's the decal on the front hub. It wrinkled a little bit as shrank to fit.

hubdecal4.jpg

Adds a little flair to the front hub along with the polished flanges. Front hub and hoop are original parts to the bike.

hubdecal3.jpg

Could have a roller soon.

Brought a brand new Brooks B67 Saddle home from the local bike store today. I had a leather seat on my road bike in the eighties but have never owned a real Brooks. Like the black single rail frame with the chrome springs. Hardware in front is chrome too.

brooks2.jpg

Got the large can of official schmear (Proofide) to go with it and rubbed a bunch of that in as well. Before and after. Really makes the edges feel soft.

schmear.jpg

Was a fun job rubbing that stuff in there while sitting and watching some tube.

brooks.jpg

Cut one of the old u-brake bosses off the drive side chain stay last night but that's about it for progress this week.

boss.jpg

Need to go back to the LBS tomorrow and grab a special tool to remove the old bottom bracket.

Have to grab a fresh can of aircraft remover to get the rest of the black paint off. Haven't been real ambitious lately. Kind of cold and rainy here still and I know warm weather is coming.

I was planning on putting this together and making it a runner but now I want to get the stripping and polishing out of the way.

Some of the inspiration for this bike. These are some actual Repack Klunkers from back in the Seventies. Built by Alan Bonds and featured on his website. http://clunkers.net/index.html

green_1979.jpg

alanbike02_ck.jpg

My favorite Klunker vid. It's short (6:30). If you've never seen this it's worth a look. It's a show called Evening Magazine's coverage of an actual Repack downhill event. I believe it aired nationally back then. This had to have been 1977 or later since a couple of guys have the early Breezer mountain bikes (Built by Joe Breeze).

Last edited:
Love all the old Klunker vids, thanks for posting that, the bike looks awesome.

Latest posts

Back