My firstest....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build ever. I don't really count the desecration we (my two brothers and I) performed on the neighborhood bikes as builds, rather, taking stuff that didn't work and making use of it. I consider a 'build' to be something with purpose and some modicum of design in it. So... on the the subject of my (ahem) artistic intent.

If you have been paying attention to the new kids bikes I posted my '39/'40 CWC Roadmaster in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34042 but will include pics so you don't have to go back and forth all the time. I got it about a month ago and have been riding the crap out of it trying to figure out what I did and didn't like about it and the biggest dislike was the paint. Someone stood it in a corner and punished it by beathing it about the head and shoulders with about a dozen or so poof-cans of red Krylon. I'm more of a fan of older paint styles and colors so it took me a while to figure out what colors I didn't want to go with including, but not limited to red, black and green. I happened to have about 3/4 of a gallon of Tampico Yellow from some work I did on an old Ford pickup I used to have so I figured 'Why not?'...

N-E-way, here's what I started with...
rightview.jpg

leftview.jpg

Bike007.jpg

Pretty much just got in from another couple hours sanding and wrenching about 20 mins ago and haven't taken any pictures of the progress yet but will have them up tomorrow. It's just been too .... hot (hit 118* today) during normal daytime hours to make any REAL progress.

So, another couple hours out in the 100 deg. sunshine I got the frame into primer and a last coat on the fenders. I didn't like the white seat so I tore it apart and picked up a chunk of maroon leather for cheap and tore into that about a week ago.
Updates002.jpg

Updates005.jpg

Updates004.jpg

Updates003.jpg

I wound up pretty satisfied with the yellow and I think it'll look great with maroon graphics.
Updates006.jpg

Updates007.jpg

Wound up having to strip the new gooseneck because the chrome was flaking off so bad, going to paint it to match the bike.
moreupdates002.jpg

Frame and forks stripped and primed. (.... that Krylon is some hard stuff.)
moreupdates001.jpg

New bars are in, hopefully that means I can turn without smacking my knees.
moreupdates003.jpg

Small parts soaking in Superclean. Great stuff, cuts oil and grease, removes rust and paint, just gotta keep yer flesh away unless you don't mind having numb hands for a while and losing a couple layers of skin. (WAY better than any pumice stone.)
moreupdates004.jpg

The nice thing about Superclean is that it's enviro friendly ANNNNDDDD... you just rinse it off and prime it right now... no detergent residue.

Due to sleeping issues I sprayed some of the graphics color on the frame last night and it looks like I got pretty lucky with matching the grips and seat.

more005.jpg

more006.jpg

JUST pulled the tape off of the fenders. The store didn't have 1/4" tape so I made do by grabbing a roll of 3/4" and running an Xacto knife down the center to split it in two. :lol:

morepaint001.jpg

morepaint002.jpg

So I got some of the graphics laid out, painted and wet sanded... now just waiting for some more paint supplies I had to order and I can get the pinstriping done and get some clear on it.

033.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

Bigdaddy772 said:
Great job on that seat!! 8) 8)

Thank you very much. I wanted to keep the 'style' but match it to the bike better than the white.

So... I wound up getting a tank and shockmaster springer pretty cheap (pictures to come at a later date) so the graphics, in my mind, would have been a bit much. With a quick repaint I changed that around a little bit and here is a mockup picture of the fork on the frame right after I got it fitted with a little help from the boys at the LBS.

phone050.jpg

Mole said:
So... I wound up getting a tank and shockmaster springer pretty cheap (pictures to come at a later date) so the graphics, in my mind, would have been a bit much. With a quick repaint I changed that around a little bit and here is a mockup picture of the fork on the frame right after I got it fitted with a little help from the boys at the LBS.

phone050.jpg

monster drink :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back