My First Build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been gathering parts for a month or so now and have obtained donor bikes from a guy at work. I also purchased numerous parts from members here to help in the building of both this bike and one for myself later........ This will be my first bike build so I'm not sure how it will turn out. I'm building this bike for my 8yr old grandson for Christmas. I hope he likes it.

The donor bikes are a ladies Murray Mountain Bike and a Huffy BMX. Both are in pretty good shape with lots of parts. I began by chopping them up for the parts that I'll be using. I'm using the rear end from the Murray for the back of the build, as it's a 24" frame and will give me a bit more room to work with for the 20"x3" tire that I'll be using on the back. I'll also be using the front neck and fork from this bike as I'll be using a 24" wheel and tire from an Shwinn OCC Chopper on the front. The crank will be used from the BMX so I also cut this out. I'll be using various tubes from both to assemble the bike.

My welder is giving me fits, but I'm getting it done. I'll just be doing more grinding than I had hoped. Also don't have a jig, so I'm measuring and doing a lot by eye.

I cut them up and began assembly and this is what I've come up with so far.
The donor bikes!
PIC_0784.jpg

As you can see here, I moved the crank tube outward a bit so that I could lower the seat and still make the bike comfortable to ride. You can also see how good the 3" tire will look on the back.
PIC_0787.jpg

Here you can see a better picture of the rear tire and how I'm assembling the rear section.
PIC_0788.jpg

PIC_0786.jpg

I'll be posting more pictures as I get more done.

Very Cool! 8) Making 2 ugly bikes into a 1 off custom!Your grandson is gonna be the envy of all his friends!Can't wait to see the progress! :wink:
L8 EM

LOL at eddie...this will be one to definately watch. i like where its going so far!!!

Easy E

fast eddie said:
very cool brother! he'll have the coolest bike on the block...unless of course he rides down my street !! :mrgreen:
fast eddie
:lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed about this all day! Nice squirel on the porch! :wink:

I tend to jump in with both feet and this is just another example of my doing that. I'm hoping that it works out like I'm hoping so that the grandson will have a bike that will last a while and look good while he's riding.

Thanks for the positive comments so far.

I'm hoping to finish it other than the paint over Thanksgiving, then I'll have the grandson pick a color and help me to paint it.

Latest posts

Back