Mutley (Done!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mutley (fmr Richelieu)

I think I may have solved my paint problem. I sprayed an old frame that was flat black and it looks very dark when done lightly.

color01.jpg

Part is next to a white one. I'd normally use this color primer, but that looks real chicky. I may have gotten it a little thick at this angle.

Re: Mutley (fmr Richelieu)

Relegated to the back corner, a bike sits all alone.

Weather has been awful here, with so much rain......... good thing we have three months. Just been riding the wheels off whenever possible, but I managed to replace the heavy spring with a light one. Springer actually moves now.

sprg.jpg

Been busy with Mutleys sister project "The Audrey", a backlot cruiser Ms Hepburn used for at least ten years.

theaudrey01.jpg

I may borrow "her" seat for final photos, it looks a lot cooler and I'll have to recover it for the audrey project.

I just found the sticker set on the bay today, Wo-Ho!
Now we just need some paintin' weather!

Re: Mutley

Simplicity Nut said:
I like the Mutley, and great name! As for the "Audrey", that looks like neat bike to fix up too!

Hey Thanks, at least somebody is paying attention!
Remounted the rack for a more appropriate angle, I'm glad I didn't cut that reflector bracket off!

racknuts01.jpg

I still have to finish the strut extensions

rackang.jpg

Thanks Eric.
Well, I can't get over the way those extentions look. While rummaging around for the Audreys brake levers I found the 2 leftover struts from Cinco's springer. Low and behold, they're the same length as the ext. rack legs! And after staring at it for a while to assure myself it was worth it to hack up the rack, I cut the legs off.
I do like the end result. I left some of the down turned leg so it would flow into the new strut.

Spaceliner freaks shield your eyes!!!!!!!!!

racksrt04.jpg

racksrt03.jpg

racksrt02.jpg

racksrt01.jpg

That bike looks SWEET! Spaceliner racks are so cool....I'm laughing because my build "ate" TWO of them (burp).

slow rider said:
not feeling the high rized stem. but the rest looks cool!

Actually, I have a plan for that. The way you see the bike now is what I'd call "riding trim". I'm going to have a separate handle bar-stem-headlamp system for the finish photos and when the bike is displayed. This bike is going to be my main cruiser, so it has to be set up for comfort. I'm old! :wink:

Mr. Springer is lookin' kinda' lonely so while I had some excess time today I added a shorty fender.

fender03.jpg

I had to make the bracket. Since it's a fixed fender on a springer it has to ride kinda' high. It may get lowered for photos.

fender02.jpg

fender01.jpg

And here's those "show" bars I discussed last post.

When you do get around to painting Mutley I hope it's going to be that beautiful purple you sprayed on that test bike.:D
Your bikes looking good.

Thx Who, the shade isn't my first choice but the price is right on the paint. We've got a 3 day stretch of good of paintin' weather and I have access to a paint booth, my bedroom! :D Due to a gopher sized hole in the foundation under my window I've been busy with repairing that and 2 outside walls. Now that I have to drywall and repaint I might as well use it while the wall sealer is drying (cinder blocks).

Anywho, Mutley and The Audrey are going to get painted at the same time. Frankly, The Audrey has consumed a great deal of my time lately and I'm more excited about the completion of that bike over Mutley.
Both bikes are now stripped and final preps will be made today. While most of you guys are stripping braze-ons off, I added one for the shifter, should clean things up back there. Plus the clamp liked to slip!

brzon001.jpg

Ready for paint. I didn't strip to bare metal, the paint was in good shape and I feel chemical stripping or blasting is only necessary for multiple layered paint.

paint01001.jpg

Score!

My new buddy Cotton (the guy with the Shelby) stopped by this morning, He had access to some NOS Sandusky bikes plates and sold me 2 for $10 each, not too shabby. :wink:

plates002.jpg

Now I just have to design a bracket. :|

Cool plates! My wife and I were up in Put In Bay last weekend. Pretty close to your neck of the woods, yea?

Fastfix said:
Cool plates! My wife and I were up in Put In Bay last weekend. Pretty close to your neck of the woods, yea?

I'd say so!

Must......resist........urge...to keep .........flat black.......

blackpmr.jpg

Here's a color tease for ya'll. My camera made this look better than real, I can't say the same for The Audrey, it turned it blue!

fdrtease.jpg

It's been a whirlwind around here and here's who fault it is...........

Audrey.jpg

The Audrey has soaked up most of my time but I'm really happy with the way it turnd out. Doin' $45 water slide decals the size of your arm can be rather nerve racking! The fenders on The Audrey are sprayed with this stuff and it is the biz-omb!

chrome.jpg

Use a white primer and sand with 400 paper before applying, and it looks like well worn chrome.

Now I've finally found the time to put it back together. The purple is thin and black comes thru in some spots but I'm just gonna' live with it.
I've got to come up with some lighting ideas yet.

purple1.jpg

purple2.jpg

purple3.jpg

Re: Mutley (Umm, Purplelicious!)

Yeah baby!! That's killer. Looks like a 57 chevy. Heavy Peace

Re: Mutley (Umm, Purplelicious!)

Diggin the purple! I had a stingray that color when I was a kid (long time ago)! Always loved that bike & that color also. Lookin good! 8)

Back