Mutley (Done!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"You call the canary Richelieu because you always wanted a cardinal".

If you get that reference you should win a prize. I think that's just a working title for now, I've got no idea what to call the thing yet.

Gonna' borrow from the same principles as last year, My frame just fell into my garage from the scrap bin. Also I'm keeping it cheap, no $400 wheel sets here. I'm scavenging parts from several bikes, most of which see little road time anymore.

Good news is I have a nice, normal canti Murray this time around, it may well have been one of the last to come out of Lawrenceburg, a town I lived in for 4 years back in the early '70's.

I'm doin' the fat rear whitewall, skinny blackwall tire combo I've been itchin' to try and some type of springer fork.

3spd coaster brake with click-stick shifter, I might cut it down. Skiptooth drive.

I'll be using a spaceliner rack and adding some kind of lite to it, don't know what yet.

And it's gonna' be PURPLE, I've been waiting to do a purple bike, but it's tough to keep it from pegging the needle on the ol' gayometer. I'm thinkin' maybe a blue clearcoat over it to get it dark, I'll have to experiment.

Here's some of the parts, still got more bikes to strip.

parts004.jpg

parts003.jpg

parts002.jpg

parts001.jpg

Re: Richelieu

Strings_and_steam said:
I've got an idea! I've got an idea! Paris when it Sizzles? :wink: :wink:

Great start!

We have a winner! If from memory, that's most impressive. 8)

JoKeR63 said:
Strings_and_steam said:
I've got an idea! I've got an idea! Paris when it Sizzles? :wink: :wink:

Great start!

We have a winner! If from memory, that's most impressive. 8)

I stumbled across the movie several years ago when I was working on a paper about screenwriting. Brilliant movie! ...and I'm somewhat of a Hepburn fan 8)

Road Master said:
Nice CWC Flying Heart Sprocket! I'm sure you'll do us proud - have fun!

I think you helped me ID the year of the bike it came off of. It was a '54 and probably the last of the skiptooths. Something about a frame change was mentioned as well.

Crap, I better write something before I get kicked to the 2nd page!

Ordered Schwinn style springer from LBS, should be here in few days, I'm hoping this is the only part I need to purchase. Weather here is an abomination, 43 deg F and rain, same tommorow. Bit chilly for garage work.

Been kickin' around the name "Mutley", after the '60-70's cartoon character.

MUTLEY_by_brant5studios1.jpg

Sounds a bit English and this bike is definetly a mutt.

I'm starting with the driveline, and I picked the rear hub.
Great choice, I poured some oil in it then installed the shift rod.
[ sound of crunching ]
Guess I'm pulling it apart. What a mess!

hub002.jpg

Man, that's a lotta' parts!

hub003.jpg

Water had entered thru shift hole. Cleaned up OK, but I'm not sure if I got the springs in right. Does the fat spring go on the clutch or the brake? I've got a lot of rotation needed to activate the brakes.

Well, I guess it's possible to screw the assembly order up on these hubs. I found a wheel that had a 3cc that I haven't disassembled yet for a guide. I had the brake cone in backwards, and there are 2 spings on the clutch. Put it back together at lunch, and it's back to normal, good thing I didn't ride it that way!

Put the drivetrain together, fraught with all it's problems. Had to clearance the chain stay. Had to remove one link for the chain, man , that was like pullin' teeth!

drivetrain003.jpg

One cup wouldn't go all the way in, those CWC cups are deep. You can see where it bottomed out on a reenforcement. So it's got one CWC and one murray cup, the lock nut barely fits on the crank, I'll put some mild lock-tite on it. But I really like that nickle plated crank, so i'll sacrifice some fit issues.

drivetrain008.jpg

drivetrain006.jpg

drivetrain005.jpg

On the plus side, that sprocket really looks big against the thin chain guard.

drivetrain007.jpg

Shifter is next.

You went big sprocket, I went little.

On the BB, was there any chance you could grind out the reinforcement to fit the other cup?

yoothgeye said:
You went big sprocket, I went little.

I think different looks on the same frame will make for an interesting "side contest".

On the BB, was there any chance you could grind out the reinforcement to fit the other cup?

I may yet do that. I'll reevaluate it the next time I take it apart, may be a while, I'm gettin' the kinks out of it first.

But, these frames are notoriously weak at the BB shell, might not be worth the risk.

And the fork, and the seat, and everything else to make it run.

Shifter mounting was fairly smooth but cable clamp is sliding, will get a braz-on.

shifr02-1.jpg

shift01.jpg

A Murray Sassy gave up her headseat, apparently Murray likes their own headtube size, they had plenty of time to fix it.

fork01-2.jpg

headset-1.jpg

seatpost uses old mountain bar end trick.

seat03-1.jpg

Rode it some, I like the high bars.

finish02-1.jpg

Re: Mutley (fmr Richelieu)

I'm pullin' the trigger on the name, it certainly is an eclectic assembly of parts. Got the real front wheel together and am just in the process of riding it around. I want it thoroughly shook out before it see's paint.
The paint that I have is not going to work. Checked it against a girl's bike (neighbors) and it's darker than the stuff I got. Transparent colors cover too much. Tester's makes a darker grape color, I'll be testing it as soon as I can find a can. I was hopin' for a good Roth color, but it's too light. :x

JoKeR63 said:
...I like the high bars...

You don't hear that too often on these pages. But indeed: setting a seat low you'll want the bars high for comfort, while setting the bars low, you'll want the seat high for speed.

You're really getting somewhere with this bike. Nice to see some progres.

(I could be wrong but I remember someone else was playibg around with the Mutley name...)

herr_rudolf said:
(I could be wrong but I remember someone else was playing around with the Mutley name...)

Maybe you're thinking about the motley cruiser? It does sound similar.

Back