MONGOOSE BEAST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ilikebikes said:
detroiter60 said:
They are cool especially the matte paint.I like the feel but my foot kept hitting the tire when turning down the aisle in the store. I might get one anyway, change the bmx bars/seat and learn to pedal more with my toes.

Yup, that's the way I was taught to ride. :)
If you buy one expect trouble "out of the box!" Only reason I'm dealing with mine is its truly a pleasure to ride. :) and the fact that its an attention beep is awesome too. :lol:
I thought as much,my 32" Super Cruiser had zero grease in the front bearings and very little in the cranks.The rear wheel was so crooked it almost rubbed the chainstay.That funky seat clamp/adjuster is junk,I removed the bolt, c-clamped it in position then welded it together.I used a regular bolt/lockwasher to hold the seat rails to it.Problem solved.I guess its all part of buying big box store stuff.

I haven't had a problem with the seat post clamp (knocks on wood) but the rear wheel is def wigglin' 'round. Can't wait to see the wrenches face when I take it in to get straightened! :lol:

Bill in Houston said:
What is the next size up on seatposts? It's like the one that shipped with it is a size too skinny.
With the lever in the release position you do need to finger tighten the nut on the the other side and then close the lever towards the seat post. This should get you tightened up where it doesn't slip any.

Bill in Houston said:
What is the next size up on seatposts? It's like the one that shipped with it is a size too skinny.

Yeah I noticed that too. Monday Ill be buying the right size seat post as I planned on replacing it with aluminium anyways. Ive never ever had a bike that used a seat post that was a bit smaller than the seat tube.

My 2 speed idea didn't work out, but 34 teeth front, 18 teeth rear seems to be just the right gearing for me. The bike comes with 36/18. I also learned the run of the mill cranks can fit with no mods.

1pxtf8.jpg

ilikebikes said:
Bill in Houston said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Monday Ill be buying the right size seat post as I planned on replacing it with aluminium anyways. Ive never ever had a bike that used a seat post that was a bit smaller than the seat tube.
draco, thanks, I was able to get it to stay in place nicely with no slipping, but it's just silly how small it is. ilikebikes, let me know if you find a common size a bit bigger that fits. i don't think anything good can come from having one that has too much space around it.

Bill in Houston said:
ilikebikes said:
Bill in Houston said:

draco, thanks, I was able to get it to stay in place nicely with no slipping, but it's just silly how small it is. ilikebikes, let me know if you find a common size a bit bigger that fits. i don't think anything good can come from having one that has too much space around it.
If yours has space around the seat post they put in the wrong one when it was built. Because mine slides in without any slop at all. Just tightened the nut and then closed the lever side. If this is the case I would contact the manufacture and tell them to send you the right seat post.

dracothered said:
Bill in Houston said:
If yours has space around the seat post they put in the wrong one when it was built. Because mine slides in without any slop at all. Just tightened the nut and then closed the lever side. If this is the case I would contact the manufacture and tell them to send you the right seat post.
Hmm, maybe mine fits tighter than I thought.

Uh yeah, mine has space around it too, thats why I want to find the correct size. I guess they did put the wrong size on at the factory.

soooo, try a little experiment, especially if you have a red one. now, the red looks much better in real life than in photos, so i really like it. but today, i was washing my bike, and when the red gets wet, WOW, it is amazing. if I put a gloss clearcoat over the factory paint, will it look like a wet bike? i guess the clear would have to be realllllly smooth.

OK, I bought a generic black aluminium seat post in 28.6 and it fits better than the steel one that came with it. I figure parts are probably the cheapest parts they could build the Beast with so whatever Co. that makes the seat post does a piss poor job of making it, or maybe the guy that made my seat post cant measure to well? I don't know and right now I don't care as the new post is a much better post with a much better fit.

Bill in Houston said:
soooo, try a little experiment, especially if you have a red one. now, the red looks much better in real life than in photos, so i really like it. but today, i was washing my bike, and when the red gets wet, WOW, it is amazing. if I put a gloss clearcoat over the factory paint, will it look like a wet bike? i guess the clear would have to be realllllly smooth.

My frosted green Beast is the shiznit. :D

Thanks to a forum member at bikeforums.com I now have a set of canti brake adaptors for mounting front canti brakes on the Beast! The Tektro canti brakes come in tomorrow. :D

Back