MONGOOSE BEAST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ridden a couple of these and pardon me but they are a POS ... for the money you get a cool looking bike but the ride ability is non existent ... I think the sunlite Spyder AT is a LOT better bike it does cost more but the 2 of these I have ridden have been UNBEARABLE ... I dont know if it is the gearing or the ultra cheap components ... I have ridden several Surley's with these big tires ( I know the Surley's are 2000 + dollar bikes so it is apples to oranges ) but those AND the Spyders roll SOOOO much better ...is it the tires maybe .....

I have ridden a couple of these and pardon me but they are a POS ... for the money you get a cool looking bike but the ride ability is non existent ... I think the sunlite Spyder AT is a LOT better bike it does cost more but the 2 of these I have ridden have been UNBEARABLE ... I dont know if it is the gearing or the ultra cheap components ... I have ridden several Surley's with these big tires ( I know the Surley's are 2000 + dollar bikes so it is apples to oranges ) but those AND the Spyders roll SOOOO much better ...is it the tires maybe .....

Oddly enough, I've owned both the Beast and the Spyder AT and I didn't really enjoy riding either of them. Once I threw a set of Sunlite Crusher tires on the Beast it rolled a lot faster, but both were just too slow and too exhausting for my tastes. :confused:

I guess it was mainly because I was riding them on the street. I might have had more fun with them in the woods or on the beach, but when I ride, I like to get rolling. :)

I said it was like comparing apples to oranges ... but even so the beast just rolls so bad ... I didnt think the spyder was bad and the 2 speed sturmey is not my first choice for that kinda bike but even so I would think that it would at least have some kinda rolll ...its nice to know those tires on the spyder roll a little better ... I wonder how much it would cost to completely revamp a beast with new BB and maybe a 3 speed hub then replace tires ... those surley tires are expensive BUT those surely rims with the holes in them are AWESOME .... I really like the SUN frame but building that type of bike is SOOO expensive ....but they ALL look super cool ... obviously the market is coming down on these kind of bikes.....

It was actually the Beast that I had put the Sunlite Crushers on.

It lightened up the bike significantly and rolled WAY BETTER....here's what it looked like.

dsc0010001z.jpg

Making the beast Multi speed is pretty easy. Nice thing about these bikes is that you can do a lot of mods without breaking the bank.

Here's mine:

20131102_104324_zpsc696c2c3.jpg

Latest posts

Back