Modernized Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, I'd just like to say i have been impressed with all the bikes you guys have been building. I could spend hours here.
I started this project a few weeks ago with an old cruiser frame and parts I stripped off my unused mountain bike. I got all the braze on parts form Nova Cycles and the rest I was able to get at local bike shops. The front derailleur is an e-type that I ground the mount of to match the bottom bracket and then brazed it directly to the frame. I haven't gotten to take it on any trail rides yet but maybe tomorrow... After I have gotten a few rides in on it I'll know if I need to change anything before painting it.

IMG_20110312_165603.jpg

IMG_20110312_165820.jpg

IMG_20110312_170020.jpg

IMG_20110312_165859.jpg

IMG_20110312_165733.jpg

Here are a couple photoshop mock ups of the colors I'm considering so far. I'll probably do a few more of these before i decide fore sure.

orangeandgrey.jpg

greenandgrey.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on anything I should add or change feel free. I'll keep you guys updated with this project as I work on it more.
Cheers,
Nate
P.S. Thanks to the guys at A Better Cycle and Sellwood Cycle Repair for helping me with this project!

Here are a couple other color options I'm thinking about. What do you guys think?

Also I got my first real ride in yesterday at Powell Butte here in Portland. It was raining the entire time and there was plenty of mud to slosh around in. As expected the steering is a little floppy on the up hills due to the angel of the steer tube but it wasn't too bad. I couldn't get a good feel for the down hill handling, as to much speed with that much mud wasn't the best combo. All in all I'm pleased with the results of the first ride.
-Nate

blackandwhite.jpg

redandgrey.jpg

orangeandwhite.jpg

That's great!!! I have to say that I like the last photo best, but I wouldn't paint it, I would sand it really well and then just clear it.

I love this bike. nice job.

thatismytruck said:
That's great!!! I have to say that I like the last photo best, but I wouldn't paint it, I would sand it really well and then just clear it.
Agreed I would clean it real well and clear it. I wouldnt sand it though, youll loose some of that patina. I love the look of brazing rod on old steel. Kool bike!

As much as i love ALL the color schemes I agree with the clear coat line of thought!!
I recently re built a three bar cruiser and left it raw....and i LOVE it ! And plenty of
compliments besides:))

While I like the color schemes, please leave it raw! The colors make ot look like a 'comfort bike' that you can buy off the shelf (IMO).
I'd also remove the blue stickers from the fork, maybe strip them raw too!

P.S. I really like the look of this baby, I callled it a BEAST on another thread! WOO!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Okay, even though I do a lot of painting, powdercoating, and finish work myself, I'll have to agree with everyone here that the bare brass and steel looks too cool to cover up. I see that you want to paint and finish it, so how about a compromise? Leave the raw finish but get a local hot rod pinstriper to lay down some nice lines over the top of the bare metal, and then clear coat the whole thing. Or, do some very minimal high gloss paint areas like the lugs on the head tube, the raised areas on the chainguard, and a stripe on the fenders. I'm thinking just enough gloss to let someone know it's a high quality bike that just happens to be mostly raw metal. What do you think?

Oh, and yes, you have to lose the blue decals on the fork. :lol:

I think I might be coming over to the dark side... I have been thinking about the bare metal look and on its own I'm not to excited about it but with striping and other minimal painting with clear all over it that's seeming more attractive to me. I do want it to have a high level of finish but it would suck if it just looked like any other bike off the shelf. What do you guys think about adding a little pearl to the clear? Like green? That way the brass still shows and there is a bit of color and extra sparkle too. Also about the fork, I'm thinking about switching to a ridged fork. I still haven't located a good used one yet though. Regardless, I'll do the same finish to the fork as the rest of the bike. Any one have any recommendations for learning how to pinstripe? I don't know if I can afford to pay someone to do it.

On another note, I got new tires today! I went riding around town today probably about 6 or 7 miles and they are nice! Plus, they should do fine on hard packed trails and if I know I'll be in mud or sandy stuff I'll just switch to the knobbies. I also like that they have the vintage klunker looking tread pattern.
Thanks for all your comments and help!

IMG_20110316_175830.jpg

IMG_20110316_175947.jpg

IMG_20110316_175850.jpg

Nice build Huero Fabulous! Yeah, those K-rads are going to be sweet on your bike.
Ok, I have another idea for "paint" So I was thinking sand down the entire frame to bare metal then use gun bluing to create the same pattern that I've been doing with the paint mock ups. The gun bluing being the on the head tube, fenders and chainguard. Then clear powder coating over it all. The biggest problem with this is that the fenders and chain guard are chromed so I'd have to sand through that to get to the steel. But still it would look sweet! Thoughts?

OctopusHook said:
Nice build Huero Fabulous! Yeah, those K-rads are going to be sweet on your bike.
Ok, I have another idea for "paint" So I was thinking sand down the entire frame to bare metal then use gun bluing to create the same pattern that I've been doing with the paint mock ups. The gun bluing being the on the head tube, fenders and chainguard. Then clear powder coating over it all. The biggest problem with this is that the fenders and chain guard are chromed so I'd have to sand through that to get to the steel. But still it would look sweet! Thoughts?

Look into having the chromed parts media blasted. I had a set of chromed bars blasted, they came out real nice. What brand is your "Modernized Klunker" frame?

i would wait till aftre the frame is done to decide on the fenders and chainguard. the chrome might be a nice contrast to the blueing.

deorman said:
C'mon man, blue candy metal flake on a dark base, white trim, you know you want to. :mrgreen:

Like this, but reversed. :wink:
ruinn said:

I'm not sure what the make of the frame is it was mostly striped when i got it. The only mark left on it is the serial number if anyone has any ideas on how to ID it I'd like to know.

Latest posts

Back