Missed a deal, want to break stuff

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Saturday I went to the flea market when all of the sudden I spot a yellow bicycle. It had a bent fork but it's got one of those frames just like the one on the home page picture! (double cantilever?...) I was shocked! I had never seen one in real life! It was a gift from the gods! You see, where I come from, there aren't any cool frames or parts like the ones you guys get at the dump. No wide white-walls, no coaster brakes, no wide handlebars, nothing! (i'm making this my signature, in fact).

So I just stood there staring at the bike. It was a cheap thing, with plastic chainguard, one gear, cheap v-brakes and wheels, but it had the right lines and it even had the cool large handlebar (although it was mounted upside down). The guy only wanted 20 euros for it. I was on my scooter, so I couldn't buy it. I got his number, called him a few days later, it was gone. The only cool frame in a 500 mile radius and I lost it !Ahhhhrrrrgghhhh!!!!!

Hugo

I once saw a friend carry an old bike on his Vespa, I rode on my Vespa behind him scared all the way! That's pretty high on my "never do" list.

It's gonna take 15 years to find another frame like that... :( I'll have to make one.

Hugo

fast eddie said:
i once pedaled home with a 2nd bike in tow, i had one hand on my bars, the other hand on the other bike's bars. i rode very very very slow!!!!
fast eddie outty

I do this all the time i can do normal speed too.

impressive, riding w/ another bike in the other hand. y'know, being an extreme sports enthusiast i do things that im always called 'crazy' for doing, but at the same time, i still do a weird dance if i walk through a spider web i didnt see, and im scared to go too fast w/ a second bike in tow! fast eddie outty

So today I visited the flea market again (read 1st post) to get some closure or whatever. The market was huge. It's usually held in a sort of parking area but today the vendors were overspilling onto adjacent streets. At the entrance to the fair, I started going down a street that I've never went down before. This is the old part of town, and it's a steep street, a dead end, with uneven coblestones and the smell of fried food and urine. I almost didn't bothered. At the very end of the street, what do I find parked, just waiting for me?

The yellow bicycle that I lost one week ago! "NO WAY!". It's the same one. The grey plastic chainguard, the same seat, tires, v-brakes, everything. There's the bent fork just like last week, but it's facing the right way this time. The handlebar was also turned the right way around, and it was loose. But how is it possible? It was sold last week! I started talking to the guy:

-"Say, this bicycle was here last week, right?"
-"Nope."
-"Well, there was a bicycle here last week that looked exactly like this one, yellow with curved tubes and bent fork."
-"What bent fork? This bike is in great shape, I just rode it here."
-"Just look here, see the bend? The paint even cracked because of the deformation!"
-"No man, that bike rides great. It's an antique bike, you can tell because it only has one gear, see?"
-"It's not very old, it has mountain bike brakes..."
-"They we're added later on. It's a great bike, trust me."
-"How much are you asking for it?" (last week the price was 20 euros)
-"I want 15 euros for it."
-"SOLD!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hauled my new bike across the mass of people, not believing my good luck. Here she his 3 minutes later:

dsc01538zj9.jpg

How to get it home? I was on my scooter, and hauling it would be too dangerous. Got my scooter tools, took the wheels off, hailed a cab, explained the cab driver the situation, and followed the cab home with my bike in the trunk! The guy was friendly and we found out we're neighbours. I can see his house from mine. Small world.

Wheels back on, tighten the handlebar, ride! :D I was sooooo lucky.

Hugo

find someone with a torch, take the fork off, put it in a vice, heat the tube up right where it meets the fork and put a larger piece of pipe over the tube and pull it back where it should be.

Hugo said:
I almost didn't bothered.
I mean "didn't bother". :wink:

Thanks for the congrats, guys. It's as if fate wanted me to have this bike.

The fork is bent just below the lower bearing, and the legs are also bent 4 inches below. It's probably too far gone. I have a few other forks lying around but they´re too short. The head tube on this bike is a bit long. May be able to find a cheap replacement.

Now, how long will it take until the yellow gets flat-blacked? :p

Hugo

nice bike hugo, love the yellow, kinda is like a taxi, id put checkers on the chain gaurd and straighten the forks and ride, but thats me, glad thing worked out for ya !!!

Nice bike! I like trailers when going some place like flea markets. Just an old kids trailer and some tools and you can drag a lot of stuff home. Also great when your out on big trash day.

Again, thanks for the congrats guys.

Randy, I like the "same diameter all the way" sugestion. Will look beefy.

CCR, the taxi theme is appropriate since that's how I got it home! :lol: Although Portuguese cabs are black and green. Mmmmmm... When will we have a theme build-off? :wink:

__10_Mercedes180.JPG

Hugo

I couldn´t wait until I got a new fork on Monday, so I went down to the garage, hit the fork with a big hammer until it was kind of straight, slapped it on again, made sure everything was tight, and went for a cruise!

dsc01545wz4.jpg

That was fun. Now I need some white walls, a nice chain guard, some cool fenders, you know what I mean :lol:

Hugo

those are pretty funky lookin taxi cabs, im sure you probly know what i was talkin bout but in case ya dont (recent year cabs look nothin like this tho)

bigyellowtaxi.jpg

Yup, I knew you were talking about those. Our taxis are also a bit more modern now. :)

The yellow paint isn't in great shape, so I'm thinking of giving it a new look. Either flat-black, or red primer if I can find it. All the primers around here are grey.

Hugo

Back