(MBBO04C1) '67 HUFFY "The Musclepunk"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost did the cut and flip on the grips today. I also spotted a set of waffle grips in the garage I want to try out on there.

THank you Matt. Still up in the air on the seat but I like the black + silver too.

Thank you! I like to make riders. I was staring at it today and it made me want to ride it until I looked next to it and saw this one and rode it instead.

It reminds me of a Bentley. If Bentley built muscle bikes. It's my best rider but this Huffy is pretty good.

silver5_zpsffnkto9v.jpg~original

Speak for yourself Oddjob he's made one friend already..:21: + he's probably just trying to push me out of contention for last place..:p

Thank you so much. Glad you like it.

Thank you CRASH.....Having fun with my first Huffy ever.

Got my 20t cog on there now. Getting ready to re-attach the shifter cable which I shortened. Planning on having the sissy suspension installed tommorow...hopefully.
Can't blame you for wanting to ride that bike that's really nice . Looks like a man size muscle bike !
Shocks , gears , LUCKY !!!!!
3bccc96c95523386205ac56b142f1c11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig this bike! Wait till you guys see what's next :D

This bike is Sweeeet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Can't blame you for wanting to ride that bike that's really nice . Looks like a man size muscle bike !
Shocks , gears , LUCKY !!!!!

You're making me want to watch that movie..lol:21:

I dig this bike! Wait till you guys see what's next :D

When I first read that I thought you were talking about something else..:)....great idea you came up with and thanks in advance if it works out...but that's for later....at least until I get my hands on that...............:nerd:...replacement part...:happy:

I forgot you get the live feed with the phone pix. For the past few years Eagleye here has been my whole bicycle community....and if you're playing with these muscle bikes he's all you need really. If he doesn't know it or have it he knows who does.

That fork piece is awesome!!!! Functional and stylish!!!

Thank you brother! You know these muscle bikes are all about the dodaddery and I like the function so kind of a mix.

Got some more of this functional decoration accomplished last night and today. The sissy bar suspension. A must if you want to ride it around.

Was just going to do some Krate suspension but things didn't work out that way. Kept scratching my head..:39::39::39::39:...then I remembered my last trip to rfeagleye's place. I made it a point to look at all the different sissy suspensions that he had there to look at.

Once I thought of those I was able to come up with a solution that works out nice and saves a ton of weight over the krate deal.

I had to cut that thin tall sissy..(Rob I could tell you were cringing when I told you that on the phone yesterday).

After I did that I was like oh no it's too short!..:eek:

One thing I saw while checking out the old sissy suspension was a skinny sissy inside a fatter one so I cut the legs off of the sissy that was on this bike. I had bought some alum shaft collars to try to use on a v-brake install. Found something else for that so was able to use a couple of them on this project. They make great spring perches for the axle mount sissy tubes.

Hopefully the pics explain how this all went together. Not bad for winging it.

susp2_zpsi7wc7asv.jpg~original

These Huffy dropouts seem really thin compared to the Schwinn ones I'm used to but I used my regular drill/tap proceedure for the sissy mounts.

susp1_zpstbrl8dro.jpg~original

Beautiful weather here in OH. Had to schmear the shifter with some lemon Pledge.

susp3_zpsrtpetsio.jpg~original

Shortened the shift cable and moved the stop up by the fender mount to help it blend in. Cable guide on the top tube has no mounting screw. It's just a spring that overlaps at the cable.

pledge_zpsrayfzw8w.jpg~original

Then it was time for a ride...ohh boy...I would describe the ride quality as heavenly. It's like butta....or greased-up chrome. Really works nice.

She won't be missing out on many rides now....Oh the new rear end gear is working out well too. Seems just right but it's still not easy going from 10 down to 3 gears. Love the Sturmey though. Makes some really killer noises. I forget it's a coaster brake because it sounds like a loud freehub when you coast. I love the tick, tick, tick in 2nd and 3rd too.

susp4_zps7tmd8dct.jpg~original

Last edited:
beautiful clean ride, awesome job

The suspension sissy bar came out nice!

Thank you guys!

Just too cool! That springer must be awesome!

It makes 'em fun to cruise around on. This one works amazing. I've got it real soft but it's still stable. I think having the springs higher up helps. The Krate suspension I used last year was a little squirelly with the stock springs.

That long seat has made the whole bike look longer! ;)

I like the long seat but may go for something more period corrrect. Worst thing about the long seat is it looks modern. I like the way it makes the whole bike look but not super wild about it as it's own thing.

I may try some different options on the seat.

The suspension sissy bar came out nice!

Thank you kingfish. It was looking pretty grim for a while. Glad the lightbulbs finally went off and was able to piece it together with stuff already in the garage. Was kind of a fun adventure.

One thing I want to try and find if anybody knows of one is a peace sign to hang inside the sissy. 3 1/2 inches or smaller (but not super small) and chrome would be my first pick if anybody sees one let me know.

The sissy suspension ties in nicely with your red/chrome, vintage / modern look. The seat does look new, but seems to tie in with the complete look and for me doesn't take away from the "I'm a 60's muscle bike" at all. And like it was mentioned, really gives the bike that long, sleek stance....well done!

This might sound odd,but you might try a Halloween or party store for your peace sign. Hippie costume.
Or check a place like Spencer gifts or hot topic.

Hey Chad, just found this one on a quick "chrome peace symbol" search on ebay. You could back this with a black round metal plate to make it stand out? Or if you search I found lots of options....

Hey man, I need one of them too for my hippie psychedelic bike....maybe respoke my rims into a big peace sign....

Merle.

Hey man, I need one of them too for my hippie psychedelic bike....maybe respoke my rims into a big peace sign....

Merle.

Merle! Yeah perfect for that. I found some belt buckle ones that look tempting using OddJob's search on ebay. Making one sounds cool too though...I do have some left over spokes.:39: Let me know when to send that Jackson (guitar) body over for a dip in the swirlpool...:D

Ok "Grip of the Week. While I can't promise a new set of grips every week I will try to document the ones I try. These were the second set I got I think. After the Huffy grips.

Clear Strawberry Odyssey Adam Banton grips. Don't know who he is. A BMX guy of some high level I assume.

My original plan was to cut off the flanges but when I got them I noticed the flanges had little guitars in them. Hey I like guitars! These grips are great comfort/ride wise and I like the black end caps and the guitars...:39:

grip1_zpsb2i7fnoq.jpg~original

grip2_zpsmasuq8lf.jpg~original

Finally got a couple days off again. Not sure what all I'll get into with the bikes this week.

No swirl dip for a while, gotta get all the mechanicals right first. Grip o' the week is cool, little guitars I like em', gonna see if maybe I can find some too. Gotta solve a cable linkage problem... hey cool bike!

Carl.

Latest posts

Back