(MBBO Class 2) "Mad Maxine" NOW SOLD TO A NEW RRB MEMBER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that's a good days work. Makes my projects seem so simple. Like the shorter stays on the rear. Looking good!
I think I need to make my projects more simple! :banghead:

My planned winter build will be more simple though, it still requires a major frame rework, but it will be using standard wheels at least...

The plan I have for next years big build-off is a real head banger though! :headbang:
Going to need a strict schedule to make it in the three months...

Luke.

Ok, so our internet was off for nearly a week after a big storm blew up our fixed wireless system, but I am back!

Here is the progress for the week that is missing:

Removed and redid the rear disc brake mount.
Redid the seat stays in nice and close to the tire:

15361732813_ab356a3ce4_z.jpg

Fitted the fork:

15795803767_02d3b63365_z.jpg

Mock up at the rough height it would be with the fork extended:

15361733163_28eeea9b65_z.jpg

Decided we didn't like the fork at all, so switched it out for some widened MTB forks:

15794133798_541745d0a7_z.jpg

Took it for a ride:

15795517409_d459d9ae5e_z.jpg

It rides really cool, far too cramped with that seat set up, and too high geared with a 16 tooth rear, will switch it out for a 20 tooth. Great fun riding, you can feel the tread on the tires and the buzz while riding is very cool!

Have decided now that we will not be doing the skateboard seat, but will be using a 70's Dragster spoon seat recovered with black denim...

Still a huge amount of work to go, have to keep at it to make the deadline!

Luke.

great build,can't help but think "tractor pulling"I have always thought how cool it would be to do bicycle pulling,you would have to have a low slung frame weighted front,lay forward for leg power to crank power,and some gearing along the lines of 38 up front and a 4 speed rear like 28,25,22, and 18 to top out at,who knows,if you ever see it happen,remember you read it here first....maybe.......I guess:thumbsup:

Wondered where you had been Luke. looks like you need to lose your internet more often. That's some good progress. Great creation you've got going there. Looks like your about ready for some mud.

Endlesschain, they actually have pedal tractor pulling at the fair here. no gears though. That would be cool.

Wondered where you had been Luke. looks like you need to lose your internet more often. That's some good progress. .
I certainly had more time on my hands!

great build,can't help but think "tractor pulling"I have always thought how cool it would be to do bicycle pulling,you would have to have a low slung frame weighted front,lay forward for leg power to crank power,and some gearing along the lines of 38 up front and a 4 speed rear like 28,25,22, and 18 to top out at,who knows,if you ever see it happen,remember you read it here first....maybe.......I guess:thumbsup:
Sounds great!, I would build for and watch that!

Luke.

I hear you there, I've got soo many little sub projects going, and funds are dry. So make vs find/repop for my last sets of components.
Yeah me too... I'm fabbing the last of my bits from cobwebs and smoke...

Carl.

Last edited:
Ok, so our internet was off for nearly a week after a big storm blew up our fixed wireless system, but I am back!

Here is the progress for the week that is missing:

Removed and redid the rear disc brake mount.
Redid the seat stays in nice and close to the tire:

15361732813_ab356a3ce4_z.jpg

Fitted the fork:

15795803767_02d3b63365_z.jpg

Mock up at the rough height it would be with the fork extended:

15361733163_28eeea9b65_z.jpg

Decided we didn't like the fork at all, so switched it out for some widened MTB forks:

15794133798_541745d0a7_z.jpg

Took it for a ride:

15795517409_d459d9ae5e_z.jpg

It rides really cool, far too cramped with that seat set up, and too high geared with a 16 tooth rear, will switch it out for a 20 tooth. Great fun riding, you can feel the tread on the tires and the buzz while riding is very cool!

Have decided now that we will not be doing the skateboard seat, but will be using a 70's Dragster spoon seat recovered with black denim...

Still a huge amount of work to go, have to keep at it to make the deadline!

Luke.

Now that's a very MUSCULAR bike, it looks like it could bulldoze it's way into anything! Btw, I actually liked the springer fork, but that's just me. I still love it either way ;-)

Today was going to be a big bike day, but the weather has turned and they have declared a "Total Fire Ban" so no hot work outside, no welding or grinding...

So rather than completely waste the day, I decided to try out my new camera, actually went with an action video camera and decided I may as well try it as a still camera too and see if I can use it instead of buying another, been waiting to have one of these for the finished video after the spectacular failure of the video for my "Joker" build, and also wanted the ability to be waterproof so I could get some action shots plowing through mud, looks like the mud will not happen in this weather but at least I am all set for action shots with the handlebar mounts and all the others it came with...

Anyway, here is a tester shot:

16031045821_d324d23acf_z.jpg

As you can see because it has the wide 170 degree fisheye lens, it does tend to warp the camera shots a bit, but it does have the advantage of not having to get too far away to get the whole bike in, that will come in handy for my bigger builds I guess, just have to see if I can live with the fisheye effect...

The effect is most noticeable in that first shot, I deliberately set the shot so it would be, it is less noticeable in direct shots like these ones of two BMX I picked up today from the dumpshop:

16032312822_4188e2b2e6_z.jpg

15845566498_ece229ac5c_z.jpg

16032312322_5349bc4127_z.jpg

15410731544_a5db9e3229_z.jpg

I think I can live with it for the build shots, but will borrow my wife's camera for the finished photo's...

Not long to go, hope I get some favourable weather to make it happen, as it is, powdercoat is out, not enough time with the holiday season, so spray bomb it is...

Luke.

You can see the effect in the last photo but I don't think I'd have noticed it on the other ones if you hadn't said something.

Nice score on those BMX parts!

The fisheye effect really only shows up in the hard straight lines... like the tabletop edges, so I guess no more straight lines in your frames, gotta build the bikes all curvy! Too bad about those bmx bikes, they're all straight lines... gonna have to go!

Carl

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. Looking good!

Health not great so doing little things to try and keep the build moving...

Found a 20 tooth Dicta freewheel to put on so the gearing will be better for off road work...

Stripped the seat:

15874667880_4ab357690f_z.jpg

Cutting new high density foam to suit, 1st layer:

15442297203_88f7209867_z.jpg

2nd layer:

16061254712_284762dbe8_z.jpg

Should be much more comfortable than the original! My Mother-In-Law is making a new cover out of black denim for the seat, should look good!

Also pieced together a brake set to use, 160mm Promax discs, I wanted to use the big 203mm's I have, but they look too fine and fragile with those straight spoke wheels...

15439654334_20da39d62c_z.jpg

Hopefully I can get the remaining welding done in the coming days and get some paint on before the deadline! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Should be a good lookin' seat. Love those discs...my next idea involves disc brakes. So the big ones actually look more dainty?

Latest posts

Back