MBBO Class 2 - ALiEN FiRE - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it. Most have springers, and theres a bolt going right thru the bottom...

Carl.

Yeah that's true forgot about that you got any plans for the top side of yours or is the shifter the only thing going there

Yeah that's true forgot about that you got any plans for the top side of yours or is the shifter the only thing going there
Day 5 of a 4 month build.....o_O
No peeking backstage.

Carl. :android:

Last edited:
While I'm waiting for parts to appear for this build, I've been looking thru bike junk. I've got three old Shimano Eagle derailleurs. I'm trying to decide if I want to put as 70's era derailleur on Alien Fire. The earliest one I have is shot, but I have a second series one that is in good shape. I rebuilt the rear rim and switched in a 5 speed cluster instead of a 7, swapped out spacers and got it centered in the frame nicely. So Shimano 515 or old vintage Eagle?

No opinions?
I kinda like the idea of retro/vintage drivetrain, and the 2nd version of the Eagle has that cool bash guard with the holes in it, like the original hotrodders did it to make it lighter. Then again the new 515 will perform flawlessly... and it's black.

No opinions?
I kinda like the idea of retro/vintage drivetrain, and the 2nd version of the Eagle has that cool bash guard with the holes in it, like the original hotrodders did it to make it lighter. Then again the new 515 will perform flawlessly... and it's black.

the eagles are great looking derailers

Troy

Depends what you want the bike to be used for, are you going to ride it regularly or is it mainly a show piece?
Mine I intend to be able to be ridden reliably and regularly, so it will be getting a modern Shimano 7 speed derailleur and a handlebar mounted rapid fire shifter, if it was just for looks it would be five speed with a vintage derailleur and a custom suicide shifter...

Luke.

Haha Luke, it's going to be a regularly ridden show piece. ;)
I think I'm going vintage Shimano Eagle. I've already changed the wheel into a 5 speed... and I've got a mod in mind for my old shifters!

I should have said TRY the Eagle... I worked on the drivetrain this morning. Alien geometry raised its ugly head again. No way the front derailleur is gonna work, seat tube is at a crazy angle and the stays are too high. So it's a 5 spd...maybe... The Eagle won't reach gear 1...and my 10 speed shifter is unneeded now too. Still tweaking but the newer Shimano should reach, and I also have a "slap" shifter in mind fabbed from a suntour two lever off my 95 Schwinn.

Carl.

Last edited:
Here's the shifter mounted vertically on the stem, push the long lever forward, and it downshifts to one. The smaller shifter was a thumb click that shifted the gears up each click. That's the shifter that I'm planning to turn into a "Lenco" style slap shift...

The more modern Shimano with the long mount, this one will reach the tall 1st gear.
Also the fender washer that has a tapped hole to lock the axle into the :eek:"drop ups"

o_O Such a simple solution to the drop outs facing up...
I'm planning on painting them to match the frame.

So after I cut down the seat tube, the chain line is good and the drive train preforms flawlessly. Oh look :confused: a rim brake... still a work in progress. Now I'm looking for a slick single sprocket but the slap shifter is a happy accident. I can't wait to see how the Aliens :android: will detail it...

Carl.

Last edited:
Here's the shifter mounted vertically on the stem, push the long lever forward, and it downshifts to one. The smaller shifter was a thumb click that shifted the gears up each click. That's the shifter that I'm planning to turn into a "Lenco" style slap shift...

The more modern Shimano with the long mount, this one will reach the tall 1st gear.
Also the fender washer that has a tapped hole to lock the axle into the :eek:"drop ups"

o_O Such a simple solution to the drop outs facing up...
I'm planning on painting them to match the frame.

So after I cut down the seat tube, the chain line is good and the drive train preforms flawlessly.
The slap shifter is a happy accident. I can't wait to see how the Aliens :android: will detail it...

Carl.
The washer is such a simple solution to the problem I will probably steal this idea if you don't mind to mount my derailer

Yeah, those are good looking. I'm looking for one good shift lever, as I won't be using a front derailleur, there's no room for it... The Lenco used individual shifters for each gear, but with the click shifter I have it will only be the same "Slap" motion on the one shifter lever. But I gotta find just the right lever for it.

Carl :android:

Back