(MBBO#05 CLASS 2) - Sassy - Finished - Round 2.5, riding strong!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the width of the rear hub on these other wheels, may have to convert and space the bottom bracket. I got a small one piece but not in 1/8

You might look at a fat bike specific BB. Of course, you will have to widen the BB on the frame to accommodate it. Most are 100 mm if I'm not mistaken.

You might look at a fat bike specific BB. Of course, you will have to widen the BB on the frame to accommodate it. Most are 100 mm if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, you are right. Need a wider BB.

The plan is, I will attempt a sealed conversion and stick it out on the drive side a bit.. I think this one is 130 end to end... hopefully long enuff without having to replace the BB Tube... will see.

I have had these stashed since early summer, waiting for this or one of the other frames to be cut to fit.

Looks like a plan! Can't wait to see how you modify it to get the clearance you will need.
RaT oN!

To bend the top tube back, will be spreading the chainstay and seatstay tubes. Plan to pie cut them and bend them in as i bend the seat tube.

Anyone know a good pie cutting template sw that might make it a little easier? Else will draw them in by hand.

Need 190mm wide at the dropout. Funny how plans change as the bike starts to speak...
Regaurding the seat stays, pie cuts will not solve it. If you use a tape on your diagram, youll see that thelength from post to stay brace actually grows. Youll be better off just grafting in the correct length piece. Else youll still be splicing in a section somewhere.
You could achive it with pie cuts if wanted also do a loco joe chop to bring the 2 together.
The chain stays you maybe able achive the width, but i beleave it will pull the drop outs closer to the bb.
Id cut out the wishbone bends in the stays (after the second bend) and flip them so the bends start at the bb and you could cheat the width at the bb and not loose mutch length in the tube.

I had noticed that on the drawing as well. Been meaning to make another one.

Been staring at them for a couple days now picturing how they need to fit and still get the clearances I need. Seat stays are easy. Chain stay is the trickier one. Still thinking more on it before stripping it down.

Worked a lot the last few weeks. hopefully, will get a day this weekend.

Well, the dog ate the old template. Made a new one, cut them out, and did a few angle measurements.

If i collapse the stays they will spread.

At which point, they will widen to fit. As i bend the seat tube. Top bar, disconmected of course.

Awsome can make up for any length lost in the drops... by spreading that way youll pull the drops twords the bb.. if you messure the length of the stock tracing vs the mock up youll see you lost some distance... thats how mutch closer the wheel will be to the bb and seat post

Nice work, will the stays still clear the cranks and chainring?

Luke.
Good point, I still need to adjust for the cranks, they wont fit yet. Might need four slices on the chain stays instead of two to get it right, if i have to narrow the distance between inmer and outer cuts.
Awsome can make up for any length lost in the drops... by spreading that way youll pull the drops twords the bb.. if you messure the length of the stock tracing vs the mock up youll see you lost some distance... thats how mutch closer the wheel will be to the bb and seat post
And adding some curve to the seat tube as i widen the stays, should help keep distance from tire to seat tube consistent. Almost have the jig mapped out in my mind that i will be clamping over it to ensure it all stays square.

Had an hour or two in the afternoon, so I was working on cleaning off the powder coating and ended up smoking my angle grinder... [emoji53]

So, had to put it on hold till I have a time for sanding the stays down... Still got a bit of time yet...

Got a box from Niagara Cycle. LBS, missed the mark, but these guys had what I was looking for at a good price.

The wheels and 10s gears that I've been sitting on since June now have a bit of rubber to go with them.

Now I have the exact dimensions I need to widen the frame to... [emoji48]

This is gonna be a cool fatty!

Thought I would try the Armstrong method. Before cutting.. A bit of pulling stay to stay, repeat about 5 times for each stay. Had 190mm at the dropouts on third tug. Grrrrdffff.

Worked out well on the seat stays, nominally, need another inch and they are good. Chainstays , still need 2"

I may just tap in a bending shoe to finish widening the seat stays and call it good.

They should look awesome on there!

Luke.
They are making that frame look smaller than I anticipated.
This is gonna be a cool fatty!
Hoping so. Slow moving, but will get there.
....as a Crowned Piscis I know would say.....
MO FATTA MO BETTA!
Capricorn... I'll keep butting it in till the fatty fits...
mmmmmm...gears...:)..can't wait to see this fat muscle.
Still planning the dropout mods to fit a 10s derailleur. Plan to extend the right side dropout down. Shape not yet decided though... [emoji48]

I work the weekend, cool conference in town, might get some time an evening early next week to work the stays a bit more...

Latest posts

Back