(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nicey!! Good thinking on the pivoting BB mount!:113:

i imagine the pivot lock wil be a ajuster screw?

Very cool! Been waiting for some progress!

Might want to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the diff in case water gets in the chain holes. Probably need to wait until it's sitting on the ground to find the bottom though.

Might want to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the diff in case water gets in the chain holes. Probably need to wait until it's sitting on the ground to find the bottom though.
Water cooled breaking, and steam powered train horn...

The diff design is just cool, can't wait to see this rolling.

Also have to make one of those dual drive setups.
:thumbsup: Thanks Falstaff! I hope you do make one!
Very Nicey!! Good thinking on the pivoting BB mount!:113:

i imagine the pivot lock wil be a ajuster screw?
Thinking along the lines of the sliding drops I made for the Back40 build, but probably use more of those same chrome sleeve bolts that hold the diff sides together.
Nice and genious, as always! :thumbsup:
I'm very curious though about the sound this bike will make with all that resonance chambers built into it.... :nerd:
Hopefully the padded plywood panels on the top and sides will damp any noises through the frame, but I can imagine the sound of the freewheels on overrun echoing inside the diff shell could be interesting? Will have to find out soon!
Speechless...

Can't remember...have we seen fork or rear wheel mount yet? Bars?

Another out of the box build by Luke!
Thanks OJ! Planning on using the bars and fork I showed in the earlier mock-up:

2016-10-05 16.40.58.jpg

I was thinking about custom bars, but I think the chrome will balance out the stainless wheel covers on the back nicely...

Good thinking! Will definitely do that! The slots ended up bigger than I originally intended because I used the wrong side freewheel/brake mount when measuring to cut the holes, so I had to re-cut them wider once I figured out the mistake. I don't mind them as they are though, at least there will be very little chance of the chains rubbing.
Water cooled breaking, and steam powered train horn...
:thumbsup: I like your thinking! One day I will resurrect that air tank/horn idea from my first build that never got finished...

I was hoping to have the trike riding today, but I ended up nursing a sick cat.

We have had an old farm cat/stray hanging around lately, beautiful thing, but wary of people, found it this morning just outside the back door lying on its side nothing moving except for breathing, at first I though he had been got by the 6 foot long Eastern Brown snake that has been hanging around the front gate, but he is still alive 8 hours later so I doubt that, very skinny, might just be half starved, been feeding it milk with a spoon, and it is starting to show some signs of life, but it might be too little too late... So I am just looking after it today, will try get the build riding tomorrow.

Luke.

Sorry about the delay, but I did make progress today!

Started by making a slide adjuster for the cranks:

2016-11-01 18.40.17.jpg

Welded on:

2016-11-01 18.40.37.jpg

Assembled:

2016-11-01 18.40.55.jpg
2016-11-01 18.41.12.jpg

Looks like my front wheel may be off by a degree or so, will check that and fix it next time:

2016-11-01 18.42.12.jpg

Looks good from the side though!

2016-11-01 18.41.30.jpg

Had to try with a wheel cover just sitting there, I know some would prefer it without it there, but just imagine the white padded vinyl panels and the passion purple frame, with a whitewall on the front too, and I think you will agree, the covers work:

2016-11-01 18.42.32.jpg

All that remained was to ride it...
Would the diff concept work?
Would the axle set up be strong enough?
Would there be chain bind due to things not being welded quite straight and true?
Would there be room for my feet between those narrow tracked rear wheels?
Would my gearing choice be too high, or too low?
Actually, I have to admit, I was a little nervous, so many things I could have done wrong or mis-calculated on...

The result:

:banana:

Yep, that works far better than I could have hoped! No issues at all!

Luke.

Sorry about the delay, but I did make progress today!

Started by making a slide adjuster for the cranks:

View attachment 37096

Welded on:

View attachment 37095

Assembled:

View attachment 37093 View attachment 37092

Looks like my front wheel may be off by a degree or so, will check that and fix it next time:

View attachment 37090

Looks good from the side though!

View attachment 37091

Had to try with a wheel cover just sitting there, I know some would prefer it without it there, but just imagine the white padded vinyl panels and the passion purple frame, with a whitewall on the front too, and I think you will agree, the covers work:

View attachment 37094

All that remained was to ride it...
Would the diff concept work?
Would the axle set up be strong enough?
Would there be chain bind due to things not being welded quite straight and true?
Would there be room for my feet between those narrow tracked rear wheels?
Would my gearing choice be too high, or too low?
Actually, I have to admit, I was a little nervous, so many things I could have done wrong or mis-calculated on...

The result:

:banana:

Yep, that works far better than I could have hoped! No issues at all!

Luke.

Give me the button luke... Trigger pulled.

Awsome video... How dose it steer under peddle, can u feel one free wheel give??
Absolutely no feeling change at all, if you turn really tight like I did in the video, you can hear the outside freewheel clicking, but there is no sensation through the pedals.
It just works!

Luke.

Absolutely no feeling change at all, if you turn really tight like I did in the video, you can hear the outside freewheel clicking, but there is no sensation through the pedals.
It just works!

Luke.
So cool... the profile totally looks like a heavily chopped rat coup or something as it rolls by in tight frames... Great scale it's OUTRAGIOUS with out needing the too hard if you catch my drift.
Killer.

So cool... the profile totally looks like a heavily chopped rat coup or something as it rolls by in tight frames... Great scale it's OUTRAGIOUS with out needing the too hard if you catch my drift.
Killer.
:thumbsup: I understand, and thanks, that is cool!

coupe.jpg

Luke.

Latest posts

Back