(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seat material is so southwest united states of you. Have you been at the airport lately, it reminds me of my old parka. Dig it. :thumbsup:
Dig the seat cover :cool2:
Together, with tailights..
:thumbsup::thumbsup::39::grin:

"El Pedro". :D
Glad you Guys like it!

I got a better pic of the fabric in natural daylight, shows the colours better:

21940556694_d568a7228c_z.jpg

I also tacked the tail-light housings on for a proper photo:

22563297875_e1649bb72f_z.jpg

22563300415_72bccc7224_z.jpg

The pics do not really do them justice, they look truly awesome on there, pretty sure I will be welding those mounts on permanently next time I am working, unless someone comes up with a good argument not to...

Then on to the seat bases, made these out of 1/2" plywood, I cut some 1/2 way through relief cuts to help the bottom one curve and mounted it up with some 1/4" T nuts. The rear section will be mounted the same way, just have to decide on hiding the bolts behind the lights if they stay or not...

21940554184_fcb1d836ee_z.jpg

22574522131_8dd4beee5e_z.jpg

22563295755_5fa975b134_z.jpg

Love the T nuts, not sure who it was I saw using them, but they are perfect for this. They lock nicely into the wood and can be completely covered by the upholstery but the seat can still be easily removed by just undoing the bolts underneath... :thumbsup:

Luke.

Glad you Guys like it!

I got a better pic of the fabric in natural daylight, shows the colours better:

21940556694_d568a7228c_z.jpg

I also tacked the tail-light housings on for a proper photo:

22563297875_e1649bb72f_z.jpg

22563300415_72bccc7224_z.jpg

The pics do not really do them justice, they look truly awesome on there, pretty sure I will be welding those mounts on permanently next time I am working, unless someone comes up with a good argument not to...

Then on to the seat bases, made these out of 1/2" plywood, I cut some 1/2 way through relief cuts to help the bottom one curve and mounted it up with some 1/4" T nuts. The rear section will be mounted the same way, just have to decide on hiding the bolts behind the lights if they stay or not...

21940554184_fcb1d836ee_z.jpg

22574522131_8dd4beee5e_z.jpg

22563295755_5fa975b134_z.jpg

Love the T nuts, not sure who it was I saw using them, but they are perfect for this. They lock nicely into the wood and can be completely covered by the upholstery but the seat can still be easily removed by just undoing the bolts underneath... :thumbsup:

Luke.
Hey Luke, can't sleep here in northern North America...and now I really can't sleep! That seat cover! As Johnny Carson would have said, "Wild, wild stuff". And, aluminum T-nuts all over my SF Woody build; fender, chain guard, and plexi-glass window mounts.;)

And, aluminum T-nuts all over my SF Woody build; fender, chain guard, and plexi-glass window mounts.;)
Ah! Maybe it was you! Then again I bought these T nuts for my "Outlaw" build originally, must have been someone before that... :39:
Need to buy some more, there was only 4 in the pack and I got the last pack on the shelf, been checking every time I have gone back, but still not stocked, I have 1 left, need 2 more for this and at least 3 for "Outlaw", need to find another pack somewhere.
Looks straight out of Don Russ Silly Cycles--just need one of his monsters riding it--really coool!
Exactly the look I was going for! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Looks good Luke, but now I'm wondering what the seat would look like if it had those old school tassel things hanging off it. I don't know what to call them other than dingle berries, Cheech & Chong had them on the headliner of their lowrider.

Looks good Luke, but now I'm wondering what the seat would look like if it had those old school tassel things hanging off it. I don't know what to call them other than dingle berries, Cheech & Chong had them on the headliner of their lowrider.
;) Been thinking about that too... :thumbsup:
Might wait to see the seat done, and maybe even paint, it might be just too much going on...

Found this locally, might be able to get away with black:

22550479466_ebc48dd8ab.jpg

Luke.

Loving it!
Thanks Crash!
Looks like a sombrero would dress nice on the top of that sis-bar
Hmmm, I have one somewhere!

Did more work today, I am really on a roll here! I think the secret is short, well planned work days, rather than long drawn out ones that I need more time to recover from.

Decided the tail lights were staying, I moved them around slightly though.
Here they are with the bottom one tacked, I drilled and tapped 5mm metric holes in the mounts, they use standard disc brake bolts, same as what I used on the chainguard:

21975677433_42958e19cb_z.jpg

Both welded:

22596849255_82552a3615_z.jpg

This is what it looks like under the seat, you can see the cut lines that helped the ply bend and the small bolts that hold the ply in place:

22583312652_180a8050c9_z.jpg

On to the board for the back of the seat, ground some grooves in it to run the wiring for the lights through:

22583308102_891221c036_z.jpg

The grooves match up with the lower of the holes in each light mount, they will get rubber grommets to stop the wire chaffing, the top ones are for the seat mounting bolts:

22570822066_13aa0c438e_z.jpg

Seat back fitted, need to buy another 'T' nut pack:

22583290442_2beed6d113_z.jpg

Now with the decision made to fit tail lights, I had to think about head lights... I had one in mind but then I remembered this set I picked up on our big trip while building "BigJim" 2 years ago, found these in a little antique shop in the middle of nowhere in North Queensland:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...deluxe-twin-headlight-dynamo-light-set.73305/

22597581725_9d0a38aec5_z.jpg

NOS! Still in the original oiled plastic:

8974921835_0c477efcd7_z.jpg

Original bulbs even:

8974921793_5185d607c3_z.jpg

I never even took them out of the box since then, but I had an idea they might look good on this build!

Dug them out and pulled the plastic off:

22596825165_d87d82a7bb_z.jpg

22408870330_1b4d11f4f9_z.jpg

Gave them a wash and made up a mount, used a cut down MTB suspension sleeve bolt for looks:

21974050744_40c6785f77_z.jpg

They cleaned up nicely:

22608031441_3a28c7bb38_z.jpg

22583283052_130300b5c7_z.jpg

Re-assembled the rear lights to the mounts:

22570804306_b9ace99d82_z.jpg

As it sits now:

22608024651_564470271c_z.jpg

22583280822_951ecdbdf5_z.jpg

While wheeling the bike back inside for the day, I realised that turning the bars too far meant the back of the head lights would hit the frame... :confused:
Will have to move them forward slightly, or mount them off the stem instead, or something else, will have a think overnight...

Luke.

You do great work, Luke. Did you measure so the slots in the plywood were centered in the openings under the seat, or was that a happy accident?
There is that tall stem, plenty of space above the headset for those vintage lights... anyway, sweet sweet build my friend.

Carl.

You do great work, Luke. Did you measure so the slots in the plywood were centered in the openings under the seat, or was that a happy accident?
There is that tall stem, plenty of space above the headset for those vintage lights... anyway, sweet sweet build my friend.

Carl.
Didn't even notice!
Happy accident I guess!

That will all be covered with a layer of the seat fabric anyway, nice little detail for those that look a bit closer at the finished bike... ;)

Luke.

Great looking headlights, look like 1940's-50's eyebrow car headlights.

I'm glad you are pulling out all the stops on this one. This bike is worth it! I can't wait to see the paint. I think it's cool that you are trying something new with the flake gun and that momma approves and is supporting you. Good woman you have there , Luke! This bike makes me smile every time I see it. One of my favorite builds!!!

Great looking headlights, look like 1940's-50's eyebrow car headlights.
:thumbsup:
I'm glad you are pulling out all the stops on this one. This bike is worth it! I can't wait to see the paint. I think it's cool that you are trying something new with the flake gun and that momma approves and is supporting you. Good woman you have there , Luke! This bike makes me smile every time I see it. One of my favorite builds!!!
My wife is AWESOME! Glad the bike makes you smile, it makes me smile too! :)

No progress on Pedro today, dropped around to @kelvin hahnel's place to drop off some stuff and we came up with some ideas to modify Mad Maxi... Before long we were heading out to my place to start cutting and welding... Wait to you see it, very cool! The updates should be up on his thread soon...

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mad-maxine-2-0-build.95189/

He did want to try out Pedro though!

I removed the lights just in case of any accidents, he is only the second person ever to ride it, and he had no issues at all!

22630607285_1b72f375a4_z.jpg

Checking out that rear tire:

22642223761_388a33bc86_z.jpg

Luke.

Loved Pedro :p and considering I had a knee reconstruction afew months ago fairly simple to ride and didn't try and kill me witch is always a bonus :) Good Pedro
Always a good thing when the bike behaves!
Ha ha ! I just realized looking at this riding photo, that your front wheel turns completely within the pedal stroke radius of your cranks!:21:
Yes! I originally intended for the front wheel to be further back to take advantage of the toe room, but knee room became to issue then!
This build is rocking man!! Everything you do to it fits. Well thought out.
Looking great Luke! Loving the details. That seat fabric is really cool.
Thanks Guys!

No build progress today, but I did pick up some stuff to help finish the build!
A 4xAA battery box with switch, some dual core flex, some wiring grommets and another pack of T nuts!

22722286811_7336cf4d6f_z.jpg

All that is left now is the paint, and they tell me that will be here Thursday or Friday! Just enough time for me to build the lighting set up and finish everything on the bike ready for paint!

:banana:

Luke.

Back