(MBBO#04 Class 1) College Drop Out - TCB Weekend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dave, that's probably not the kind of comment that will win friends in this build off; especially from one who is not participating in the build off....
The funny part (well, I'm snickering, at least) is that I've been avoiding entering, even though my current project happens to be an adult-sized musclebike. Last week, my banana seat and sissybar showed up. My stainless seatpost from Chad arrived Saturday, and I might even have time to strip paint and anodizing this coming Sunday.

So now I just have to take this old Collegiate, hook it on bad drugs, and turn it into a Drop Out. I plan to talk a whole lot of smack. Being nice hasn't won me a build off, and from what I've seen, it doesn't require much in the way of talent or taste (wink). I figure I'll change it up a little, and maybe you guys will fall for the mean guy like all the ladies seem to...

I have proven that talent and taste are not a prerequisite, so build on, ya bum.

Welcome to the build off! Looks like you have a great starting point. Sarcasm can be a sign of quick wit and intelligence. It can also be a sign of an inferiority complex. By joining the build off your true colors will soon be shown. Lets see what you got! And... can you take it? :bigsmile:

Welcome to the build off! Looks like you have a great starting point. Sarcasm can be a sign of quick wit and intelligence. It can also be a sign of an inferiority complex. By joining the build off your true colors will soon be shown. Lets see what you got! And... can you take it? :bigsmile:
I've already proven four or five times that I have what it takes to lose a build off, and from what I've seen around here, I'm in good company. We'll see if some flake or pearl, a set of Honda six bend chopper bars and a few other tricks will still make for last place, in spite of my jaunty rapartee.

I've already proven four or five times that I have what it takes to lose a build off, and from what I've seen around here, I'm in good company. We'll see if some flake or pearl, a set of Honda six bend chopper bars and a few other tricks will still make for last place, in spite of my jaunty rapartee.

Lol I meant can you take the sarcasm coming back at you? I just checked out your BOTEN El Chango Laton. That's a great bike! You definately have some talent, skills and vision. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

Welcome to the MBBO! I did a camelback Collegiate into a muscle bike I call the Monster-Ray. (You can click my sig to see it)

I look forward to seeing yours!
Yours is darned cool, but I'm definitely going for a less stock appearance... a little more bad-attitude chopper with a little So Cal lowrider vibe.

I've been wanting to build a Collegiate/Speedster/Varsity camelback for some time now, but the only way that I seem likely to be able to fit my spiderlike (meaning I have long skinny limbs and a bulbous 40-something abdomen) frame on one of these little Schwinn frames is to add a layback and a banana seat. Please allow me to remind you with the last musclebike that I built:

Boss Ross (RRBO#6? 7?)

And then the late night gremlins start taunting:
"What if you cut it up a bit? Used a girl's Schwinn front end flipped to stretch/gooseneck the frame? What if you spread the seatstays and dropped the rear end a little?"

Go back where you came from gremlins. You have no right to be here. I've been acid-free for over twenty years. Where's my Sunny-D? I'm staying in Class 1, doggone it.

Last edited:
Well at least you rolled out the red carpet for your big debut [emoji57][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well at least you rolled out the red carpet for your big debut [emoji57][emoji95]

It's a comforter, but close enough. Speaking of the bedroom, somebody hammered a section of 7/8 steel tubing into the seat tube. Removal has so far been problematic, but my vice is old, loose and just can't hold what it used to. I figure a few minutes of grunting and twisting in a real vice will have it dislodged this weekend.

Ya I got an frame with that problem. & it just won't budge the stem also . To bad the guy who sold it didn't tell me that ( not any one on this site ) I guess there's a sucker born every day . [emoji30]

Popped the hatch on my Celica before I drove to work this morning to snap a quick pic of my "Build Your Own Wheelset" kit. I'll polish out the front (700C Velocity Blunt) hoop, and lace it up this weekend to that GT hub, with a little bit of luck.

Ya I got an frame with that problem. & it just won't budge the stem also . To bad the guy who sold it didn't tell me that ( not any one on this site ) I guess there's a sucker born every day . [emoji30]
I picked up the frame and fork at a swap meet last month, and saw the seatpost stuck in there before I bought it. Only have myself to blame. Thankfully, it's only jammed in about 1/2" or so below the bottom of the split in the seat tube, so I just need to get it to budge a little, and it should pull free without having to use heat around the seatstay joints.

Last edited:
Popped the hatch on my Celica before I drove to work this morning to snap a quick pic of my "Build Your Own Wheelset" kit. I'll polish out the front (700C Velocity Blunt) hoop, and lace it up this weekend to that GT hub, with a little bit of luck.

I picked up the frame and fork at a swap meet last month, and saw the seatpost stuck in there before I bought it. Only have myself to blame. Thankfully, it's only jammed in about 1/2" or so below the bottom of the split in the seat tube, so I just need to get it to budge a little, and it should pull free without having to use heat around the seatstay joints.
The problem with mine is that it is only sticking out of the frame about 1" so there's not much to bite on

The problem with mine is that it is only sticking out of the frame about 1" so there's not much to bite on
Maybe some heat and a slide-hammer? If you're not looking to save the post, you can always weld a piece of old chain or something to it, and clamp the frame in the vice...

Wow glad to see you joining it. Love your style gowjobs. Love the attitude on that little Ross. + the smack talking..:21:

Can't wait to see how you do this old Schwinn up with some of your magic. I want to do one of those rims like your front sometime.

Back