Matte Black with Gloss striping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that we just finished BB08, but I have already started thinking about my next build. For this build, I want a modern paint scheme - so I'm thinking a matter black base with gloss black darts. Never tried this before, but here's what I'm thinking.

Paint the entire bike in a satin black, then shoot on some gloss clear to the areas where the darts will be. Tape off the darts, then sand the remaining gloss and lay down one more coat of satin black, followed by coat of satin clear, then hit it with a final coat of matte clear.

I've used the satin clear followed by matte clear before, and it has worked well, what I am wondering about is the adhesion of the satin over the sanded gloss clear.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I don't think there would be enough contrast between the dull black and the gloss black to see the darts. Gary

ive used flat black as a base before for the main color of the bike and then masked off my scallops and painted them in a high gloss black and it turned out awesome! give it a try man. worse thing can happen is you don't like the end result!

Easy E

I just did a couple motorcycle paint jobs two tone flat and gloss. With the motorcycle i paint the entire thing gloss- then do my wet sand and polish on the clear to get the glass smooth apearance-make sure not to use silicone based buffing compounds or the next coat won't adhear. After full cure, I alcohol prep the entire surface to make my polishing compounds dont mess with the next layer of paint. I back tape the area I want to keep shiny and scuff-400grit or 600grit- depending on the job- the exposed area and shoot on the flat black or reduced satin clear, both work well. Ive had no issues with lifting just gotta make sure its scuffed well. Ive tried gloss clear over the top but it leaves a taller tape ridge and have had issues with the clear causing the tape to leave tracks in the flat paint and/or satin clear.

Here is a pic of the last set of motorcycle parts i did using the technique described above. I know its motorcycle parts listed on a bicycle forum but Its the only picture example that I have. The flat is 10% reduced clear with flattening agent- i reduce it so it can be applied thinner- less matterial- to eliminted a "tall" tape ridge. I have a couple rough B6 schwinns and ive realy been wanting to do this combination on one of them with red rims. Do the paint just like a factory two tone- having the tank recesses in gloss- the fender stripes and frame spears in gloss!!

From this thread - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=67246#p649898

dsc0050eb.jpg

dsc0048lv.jpg

I was going for this effect with my RRB bo 8 the 59 Kolumbia Klunker.. only have spray cans ....painted a flat white then taped off darts and painted red then red flake followed by gloss clear...hit the whole thing with semi gloss clear to hide edges..was pretty happy with results but will definately try the above motorcycle method...that looks great

Latest posts

Back