lost the pedals, now im motorized!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've haven't posted here in a long time, but I regularly check out whats going on.

Well, I've turned to the motor side of the two wheeled world. I got a motorcycle a couple weeks ago. I love it, its a 2001 Kawasaki w650. If your not familiar, the w650 is a European model that is a clone of the 60's Triumph Bonneville. I get retro styling and performance, with modern engineering and reliability. Its bone stock right now, I bought it at 120 original miles! But I cant wait to customize it. Im gonna go for a mild cafe racer ("halfcaf racer") look.

2844795466_c0b5126c7e_o.jpg

2844795220_19a8f633fa_o.jpg

Im still riding my bicycles though, they'll stick with me. Im redoing my Western Flyer right now, I'll post it when Im done. I did sell my 67' Schwinn Collegiate for $200!!!. Not bad considering I bought it for $20

Nice bike. I really like the retro styling. 2 of my friends have Triumph's - a Bonneville and Legend

i really liked those W650s when they came out. Hardly see any in my area. I think I've seen one on the road in all these years.

thanks guys.
I didn't know this bike existed untill I stumbled across it on craigslist. I cant believe U.S. sales couldn't sustain production, its such a unique bike. I think it was offered only from 2000 to 2002 in the U.S. and it wasn't too pricey either, I nabbed this one at $4500.
But this is my first motorcycle and its a great starter bike. Its a great balance between cruiser and sport bike, its fast enough (but not so fast that I cant handle it), and it is easy to throw around curves.

Rumor has it that they vibrate really bad due to that configuration of cylinders not being opposing.

What's your experience been?

thats what a motorcycle should look like in my opinion ! and the 650 is plenty of power, most of the bikes on the road today are overkill if you ask me, and probly only 1 outta 10 of the people with the "bigger" bikes know how to act on them. the ONLY thing i would add is some crash bars with foot rests for longer rides and maybe a windshield (just big enough to block the rocks and bugs)

really cool bike, enjoy !!!

Rat Rod said:
Rumor has it that they vibrate really bad due to that configuration of cylinders not being opposing.

What's your experience been?

Well, the vibration that apparently plagued the Triumphs is nonexistent in the Kawasaki. They manufactured the w650 with a counter-weight for the pistons so it doesn't vibrate too much. My only beef with the engine is that the (final) fifth gear redlines around 100 mph, so cruising at 75 = high rpms. Thats the only time when I notice the vibration.

Latest posts

Back