LocoJoe's Recent Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Independence Day Ride)

Skipton said:
Perfect bike for the day!

My wife and kids rode to the beach yesterday 102 degrees! :shock:

I'm sure your ride wasn't much cooler :wink:

As always love the pics and updates.
Thanks Skip. I think we topped out at 102 yesterday. We rode pretty early though. Wish we had a beach to ride to.

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Town & Country)

Rode 2 different times today. One ride in the city, the other in the country for a total of 50 miles. City ride I rode a ratrod, country I rode my hybrid. The afternoon ride was miserable due to the heat. More photos and the stories on today's rides here.

Town...
P1010303.JPG

P1010312.JPG

P1010328.JPG

P1010367.JPG

Country...
P1010384.JPG

P1010414.JPG

P1010408.JPG

P1010439.JPG

Okay...I don't know if Kansas is as interesting as it appears to be in your photos and videos Randy, but you sure do make it look like a nice place to live. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Okay...I don't know if Kansas is as interesting as it appears to be in your photos and videos Randy, but you sure do make it look like a nice place to live. :wink:
+1 Got a son of a friend attending Friends Univ. there and he loves the town. He's getting a degree in zoo-keeping (or something in that area) and he does a lot of interning at the local zoo and he's impressed.

Thanks guys.

Rat Rod said:
Trick photography :wink:

StepChld said:
+1 Got a son of a friend attending Friends Univ. there and he loves the town. He's getting a degree in zoo-keeping (or something in that area) and he does a lot of interning at the local zoo and he's impressed.
That's great. All of the above.

I've always said it's a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit here. I always think about moving to the mountains, forests or an ocean but you know, the grass is always greener. One of the pluses here is it's centrally located and all of the aforementioned are just a days drive away. People do visit from these other places and are in awe of our open spaces. There is neat stuff here. It's just not obvious like a mountain or ocean.

Thought this was neat... 3 of us RRBers live in a suburb of Wichita. Saturday night the wife and I were riding back home after having dinner at my parents and we crossed paths with the other 2 RRBers at the same time. They were each out riding separately for different reasons. What are the odds of that?

aka_locojoe said:
Thought this was neat... 3 of us RRBers live in a suburb of Wichita. Saturday night the wife and I were riding back home after having dinner at my parents and we crossed paths with the other 2 RRBers at the same time. They were each out riding separately for different reasons. What are the odds of that?

Bound to happen eventually! :lol:

our "burb" is pretty tiny.

Great photgraphy and stories Randy. The google map thing is really cool!
102 without a beach is tough. The "waterfall" looks refreshing though
Bike looks great and fitting for the 4th. 50 miles is awesome!
Thanks for sharing
Steve

Thanks Steve (MplsCoaster).

Mitch, Nova and I were talking after bumping in to you saying all 3 couples need to get together here and ride the loop then go to Mexican place for dinner and drinks. Maybe when it's cooler.

Couple more photos from the ride.

First one just for you Steve (Ratrod).

P1010423.JPG

P1010433.JPG

Randy, show us the bike you found in the creek.

aka_locojoe said:
Mitch, Nova and I were talking after bumping in to you saying all 3 couples need to get together here and ride the loop then go to Mexican place for dinner and drinks. Maybe when it's cooler.
[/img]

You betcha.... just say the word!

Ratfink1962 said:
aka_locojoe said:

Bound to happen eventually! :lol:

our "burb" is pretty tiny.
Me and Noelle was heading home from our ride. The wife and my oldest daughter went to the movies, me and Noelle went for a ride and McDonalds

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Canal Path)

This morning with Mom & Pop on the Canal path.
P1010478.JPG

Threw this Schwinn together last night for something different to ride today. I can't recall for sure but I think it was either 65rat or 450redrider who gave me these bars at the swap. Thanks.
P1010496.JPG

There was no reason to use this overpass. Dad just rode up it to prove he could.
P1010481.JPG

Sign at the old bicycle safety training course.
P1010486.JPG

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Canal Path)

Great pictures and stories!
aka_locojoe said:
There was no reason to use this overpass. Dad just rode up it to prove he could.
That's awesome! It looks fun and I would do it too.

aka_locojoe said:
My Dad and I rode our local rail-to-trail this morning,
P1010812.JPG

Great picture. I like how you timed it perfect so the exit looks washed out 8)

aka_locojoe said:
Great shot! Colors and composition are very good. Looks like a beautiful day

How do you get such good definition and that large of picture?
Mine seem to always get cut off (right side)and then look too small and/or grainy
I shoot ~2 mB pics then size them using "print screen" and "paint" to get them down in size (dimention and amount-bytes)
Some times I try Cannon Zoom EX software to get the first cut and bring down the amount but it's not very helpful

Thanks for posting
Steve

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Breakfast Ride)

Thanks Steve. About my photos...
First off I take a ton of them in hopes of getting at least one good one. That shot of the water was taken while riding over the bridge and just pointing the camera in the general direction I wanted to take the pic. I shoot pics while on the bike moving never even looking at the display screen. I "shoot from the hip" a lot. Pull out camera from shorts pocket, aim in general direction and shoot. It's kind of fun to go through the photos when I get home because I never know what I'll end up with.
The photos come off my camera at 14 megapixel, 5.54mb and I generally just resize them to 1024 pixels max height or width. Photos that have been "Shot from the hip" I almost always have to rotate and crop the photo. I also usually do a little tweaking of color, sharpness etc... in Paint Shop Pro.

For each of those photos you highlighted there were probably 2 or 3 others of the same scene that didn't turn out.

I really enjoy taking and playing with the photos.

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Breakfast Ride)

14MP sensor, in a compact camera means that the sensor size is very small and very close to the lens.
You get a LOT of DOF, just as you did in this canal picture. when it's in focus, it's pretty much ALL in focus.
my little pocket camera does the same. IMHO, this is not a bad thing for what you are trying to achieve.

Sat. we rode a nice smooth concrete trail and I tried to get some moving video like I see you doing, with my tiny Sony W-350. Even tho, it has steady shot,
all the vid clips were completely un-usable with all the shaking. I think it had something to do with my hybred bike and the 90psi tires. :D

(hangs head, can't be the guy pushing the button now could it?) :D

Back