>>>LACKLUSTER<<< Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

Got a couple misc. things done tonight.
Welded a nut into the end of the center bar of the rack. It could be use to mount something...
e44a329b.jpg

8bca16b9.jpg

eb629442.jpg

759e019d.jpg

Welded a nut to the back of the chain guard bracket. The original threaded sheet metal just doesn't cut it.
c4173335.jpg

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

Yes thats ^^ a little color tease.. :wink:

Frame isn't quite painted yet. Getting there though. Got a lot of stuff done in the last day and a half. I've decided to put things into overdrive and have this thing done (enough) for Sacramento Cyclefest on June 10th. I think I can do it... (famous last words :oops: )

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

So fitting the stubby front fender was next on the to do list. I got it... but it took some doing thats for sure. heres pics to do most of the talking:

Even though its a stubby fender, I felt it needed a more stable mounting point. I threw down a couple spot welds on the cute little tabs :roll: that held the mounting bracket in place, and also used a 6mm nut-sert for mounting.
IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

This little fender took more "massaging" than I thought it would.. It was stubborn, but I won! I had to press in each side quite a bit just to clear the forks and go in without being forced. Then the bottom of the spring was causing interference, so I had to dimple the fender there. Also had to dimple the fender by the mounting hole in order for it to contour the tire properly and look like it actually belongs there. You can see the dimple in the pic. Looks like a dent but its a purposeful dent. :)
IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

I know, I know.. The VERY first bump I hit that activates the springer will jam that tire right up into the fender and quite possibly flip me right over the bars.... Hmmm guess I'll avoid ALL the bumps! :)
IMG_4562.jpg

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< All that work for one little fender?!

Loving the color Critter, wish I had a caramel apple right now :p Would of hated dimpling that fender after it was painted too !!! The small things like fitting fenders and wheels and gears always seem to force your brain into creative mode the most. Looks like they don't slow you down much at all though watching you build this thing !!!

I got the frame & forks into primer and sanded them. They're ready for paint! I also got all the little misc pieces painted: headset cups & hardware, BB cups & hardware, kickstand disassembled & painted, seat post & hardware, and headlight bracket. I was checking things off my list left and right!! :p :p
IMG_4574.jpg

Guide coat, 180. Guide coat, 320. Finish up with 500. I think I sanded off my fingerprints! This frame has WAY to many little tubes... Well, at least its done and smoooooth.
IMG_4582.jpg

Next up are these guys. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have everything painted (fingers crossed!).
IMG_4589-1.jpg

CCR said:
Loving the color Critter, wish I had a caramel apple right now :p Would of hated dimpling that fender after it was painted too !!! The small things like fitting fenders and wheels and gears always seem to force your brain into creative mode the most. Looks like they don't slow you down much at all though watching you build this thing !!!
Now that you mention it... It does look like a caramel apple.. Dnag it, now I'm hungry! :lol:

Since I don't have anything real custom on this build, I like to concentrate on the little details that'll keep my brain working. So far this build hasn't let me down.. Most of the details that get all the builders attention will usually go unnoticed on the finished product.

All that work definitely pays off! :mrgreen: Bike looks great, one of my favorites this year :wink:

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< Brown?

Nice cool masking, can't wait to see some paint stick to that frame!!!!

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< Brown?

kingfish254 said:
Nice cool masking, can't wait to see some paint stick to that frame!!!!
You are the King, I shall do as you wish... :D

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

I accomplished my goal of having EVERYTHING painted by the end of the weekend. I turned the music up & kept my head down until it was done! The colors look stellar IMO. Its hard to describe, something like "vintage custom cool" comes to mind, or "chocolate & vanilla shake"... Anyway, I couldn't be happier and It's all down hill form here. I can't do any assembly until Thursday, my next day off which is fine.. All looks good to have it done for Cyclefest on Saunday. I really hope to see other BO-7 bikes out there. Last year there was four in attendance which was cool to see.

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< A little less lack.....

Make sure there's no holes in that old tarp or the car (Porsche?) might end up with brown polka dots.

when you first talked about that color i was less than impressed, i now stand very corrected. what an awesome color combo. very nice.

ezernut9mm said:
when you first talked about that color i was less than impressed, i now stand very corrected. what an awesome color combo. very nice.
Thank you! Yea browns can be a touchy subject. I hadn't seen too many brown bikes so I was taking a chance. This color looks even better in the sunlight. I can't wait to assemble it & see how it all comes together. The wheels are the same cream color as the scallops & fender/chain guard stripes.

I recall first seeing this Elgin and being very impressed with the color combo. Understated coolness...
IMG_0968.jpg

Paint turned out great!
Throw some pink pinstiping between the choclate and vanilla and you can change the name to Neapolitan.

kingfish254 said:
Paint turned out great!
Throw some pink pinstiping between the choclate and vanilla and you can change the name to Neapolitan.
What he said except for that pink line! How about Nestley Qwick!! :mrgreen: See ya thursday. Peace

That paint job is amazing...I have a frame in my garage that I want to do the same treatment to. You have inspired me, good sir. Glad there is not a sub class for brown bikes as my 'Orange Crush' is a flat brown frame that this paint job absolutely crushes. (pun intended)

Back