Kinky Lady (Frame repair)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what you were expecting :lol: :roll:

I recently picked up an old Dayton (Firestone Pilot) ladies bike to fix up for my Mom. I didnt even notice until I had it broke down but the seat tube had a nice kink in it right at the downtube joint.

I didnt get a decent pic of the damage, but this shot shows a little of what I was up against...
013-3.jpg

Im sure there are many methods to repair something like this, but this is what I did. First I found a piece of tubing that fit fairly snug in the headtube, then I placed a hydraulic bottle jack on it with an extension that butted up against the seat tube. I started jacking and the majority of the kink came out, but whenever I let the pressure off the jack, everything sprung back a little.

So... I figured that even if I overjacked the damage out, it would return down the road after a few rides, really cant have that since Its gonna be my Mom's rider and I dont want it folding up on her. I decided to install a piece of tubing inside the seat tube as a doubler. I scrounged an old seat post that fit just right, then I drilled the frame so I could plug weld the extra seat post in place.

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

I drove the seat post down until it was just above the bottom bracket, and mig welded it in place. I also did this while I still had pressure on the jack so that it wouldnt spring back.

017-1.jpg

A little work with the file, and sander disc...

019-1.jpg

Now its STRAIGHT... and STRONG, goodbye kinky lady!

020-1.jpg

Nice fix. Back in the day we had a commercial tool for straightening frames similar to what you made except the tube was a solid chromoly bar. You did have to over jack the frame to get it straight. Girls frames are inherently weak especially when made from mild steel. Reinforcing that part of the frame was a good move.

I don't know what it is about these frames...

I had the same frame, bent in the same place. It's not the first time I've seen that bend... I actually figured it was factory. :shock: I'd kinda like to know why they bent there.

Beautiful bike, and excellent work on the repair!

Unchained said:
I don't know what it is about these frames...

I had the same frame, bent in the same place. It's not the first time I've seen that bend... I actually figured it was factory. :shock: I'd kinda like to know why they bent there.

Beautiful bike, and excellent work on the repair!

Hey thanks guys,

And to attempt to answer your question... Im no engineer but I believe the design of the frame puts a LOT of stress on this particular joint. Maybe with a certain alloy steel tubing this wouldnt happen.

Im sure if they used DOM tubing the frame would NEVER bend, but who knows.

Back