Indian Scout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
upload_-1.jpg

Need help figuring the year. Cant find refrence to cantilever scout frames anywhere. This one was fixed up using a schwinn at some point in the past, so its not at all original, although the paint is original, and mostly crust - free

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

The rear is Shimano 333 (shudder). My first priority is getting the year so I can put a nice SA drive, with the right year code in there.

Thanks for any help folks!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Has to be 58 or later, when Schwinn's exclusive patent on the canti frame ran out. This one looks like the bikes made by Daimler/Puch/Steyr. -Adam

Alright, well. What? How am I just learning this? I'm having a heck of a time wrapping my brain around this. Every canti I've ever seen has been post 58, or made by schwinn? Either way, great way to narrow down the date on this (and my other phillips canti) 3 speed.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

You've got the original paint, even if you don't have the original SA hub. That would be just about the only way to figure the exact year, but I agree with the above post, 1958 or a couple years after that. It looks like a lot of the late 50's Hercules Bikes I've seen, the big shiny fork crown is a giveaway. The serial numbers haven't been decoded as far as I know, and I looked for them a few years back. There was also another style of cantilever, with the 2 tubes on top. Then in the early 60's, they were all made by Raleigh and were diamond frames with different forks. So, I'd say 58-60 as a guess.

@Wildcat, I still have the set of wheels.
SA, with dyno hub, marked '57.

Back