Indian Red

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man, that is a hot bike! 8) i like everything about that beauty. lotta cool details and the stretch makes it unique! did it start as a worksman frame?

The rear triangle and lugged head tube started life as a Worksman INB. What's left of the original rear triangle has been heavily modified. The frame is now 135mm wide so I can run the big drum brake hub. New frame spreaders were added and the lugged head tube was moved forward 4". The three main frame tubes up front are all new. The top and down tubes are formed to my cad drawings by a tube bending shop and then I fit it all together in a frame jig and braze up all the tube/lug connections. From there I add the engine mounts, tanks, pipe, handlebars, and now it's what I call a Sportsman Racer. I have yet to do a non-motored version, but that's coming. I have a bunch more frames. Here is a picture of a few just out of the frame jig and still covered in brazing flux. Built just like they were back in 1920!

DSC06091 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Flyer Racer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

That rig is going to fly! Consider that my Yamaha TW200 has 198cc and makes 11hp and can do 70mph. Better put some velcro on the seat :D

Your bikes and bits and pieces look top notch, I especially like the sprocket adaptor.

Man thats too much! need finished photos. Wow

Tater said:
Man alive! That bike is on the money. Great work. Are the handlebar links married shaft couplings?
Thanks for all the positive comments, guys! To answer a couple of questions, the boardie inspired handle bars have a few more details going on then just welding shaft collars together. There is some machining involved, as well as knurling and set screws to get the whole system locked up and tight. The tank holds 1.7 gallons. Not sure if I already mentioned it but I do the same chassis with the Whizzer engine as well. It gives the bike more of a vintage feel with the flat head designed four stroke. Here is a picture of that layout. It's called the Sportsman Flyer "WZ" model.

Sportsman WZ Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman WZ Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

You've definately nailed the look and proportions in my opinion. Very profesional looking like it came from a quality motorcycle brand. I think I'd feel better if there was a bit more of an "up curve" to the back of the seat pan. Maybe some springs too. I hope they don't go for sale cause I don't think I'll be able to ge one without getting one for the wife $$$$... Keep the pics rolling.

Back