Ideas wanted for my 29er

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cool aspect of the bike is the big wheels. Yoiu need to figure out how to emphasis this. Maybe lower the frame down (Check out the post by the person using brake pads ). Then replace the front wheel with a 24". This should make the rear wheel look huge.

gowjobs said:
For the record, I totally disagree with the two previous posts.

How about just the previous post. If you pick a good middle gear you can get a good workout, be more efficient, save weight, and be less complicated.

I love my single-speeds, but with the direction that this build seems to be progressing, I'm not sure it's THE solution in this particular case. Every bike I ride right now is single-speed, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't build another commuter/trail tourer with gears if the opportunity presented itself.

gowjobs said:
I love my single-speeds, but with the direction that this build seems to be progressing, I'm not sure it's THE solution in this particular case. Every bike I ride right now is single-speed, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't build another commuter/trail tourer with gears if the opportunity presented itself.

You're right, I was looking at it as my bike, but if I had looked at the build I would have seen the daily nature of it. So let's just say if it was mine... single. haha

Well, great responce. I really like the gears. I live in a very hilly area. I just did a 10 mile give or take a few, and it seemed like most of it was down hill. I need the range of gears. I have seen the Brooks seats, but I have to ask...How comfortable are they? As it is I have to stand and pedal about 2/3's into my ride because my butt gets a dead feeling. I want to paint the bike but do not want to have the down time. I know what you will all say. Thats why you should have 10 bikes, no down time. I have thought about picking up a old coster brake 26" Schwinn cruiser. Anyway thanks for all your ideas. I am really enjoying this website. Great people.

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
I have seen the Brooks seats, but I have to ask...How comfortable are they?

Very comfortable. Gel saddles were enough to put me off cycling. Thankfully I rode a cruiser with a sprung seat and I've been a happy cyclist since.
It doesn't have to be Books either, there are plenty other choices. Rule of thumb when making your choice is the more upright you ride the more spring in your saddle.

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
0411012044.jpg

and this
http://kokomo.craigslist.org/bik/2294936186.html

0504011810.jpg

Well it has finially happened. I painted my front wheel Rat Rod Red. I did a white primer just to help the Red pop a little more. Looks Good. I am new to Bicycles again since being a kid. I could not even guess what the rim was made of. Looks and feels like plastic. I was suprised when I took the tire off to see just how small the wheel was. I will give it a week to harden before I mount the tire again. I also have some clean up as I got overspray on the inner hub and spokes. Also I see that one of the straws moved. Still the straw idea saved the day. Thanks again for all your great ideas and advice.

Back