Ideas wanted for my 29er

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0714_crop.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg

I bought it for the size, gears, and disc brakes....Now comes the fun part, making it cool. Any ideas?

Easy first one, ditch the spoke reflectors

How about a bigger pic of the bike, that might help

Flat black, make a fake hanging tank, creme tires (Schwalbe might make em?), build a linkage front fork (then sell me the orig tiers and fork :D )

Go Gov'nr style?

Obviously your willingness to mess with an aluminum frame may limit your options but anything is possible!

I'd blast it then either powdercoat clear or some kind of black satin finish, then do a custom headbadge.

Thanks guys, I plan on painting the Rims Red and the Bike swede Black with so like of pinstripes White & red old school. I have not had a bike without fenders in a longtime, I forgot about grtting pelted by rocks. I wish they made fenders for a 29er.

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
Thanks guys, I plan on painting the Rims Red and the Bike swede Black with so like of pinstripes White & red old school. I have not had a bike without fenders in a longtime, I forgot about grtting pelted by rocks. I wish they made fenders for a 29er.

Check out the bamboo fenders that are available. Some pinstriping and a coat of clear urethane, and you can have some cool-looking protection.

30756100024_medium1.jpg

This was a bike I had before the 29er, I lost it in a House fire. In the photo it shows the fenders with side skirts.
I had shaved those off and painted white scolopes on the fenders and headlamp. It was way old school cool. It
had a vintage 9 hole Schwinn bike rack, A art deco horn on the handlebars, It was a Nirve with flame tires and seat.

A rear rack is all I would do, but I'm not sure they make one for 29ers.

I hate riding without something (a fender or rack) over the back tire. I don't like getting rocks and debris in my hair and all over my back. I have a seatpost fender, but it would probably look too small on your bike.

I wanted a 29er, but I can't part with any of my other bikes...

I actually found fenders for a 29er on ebay. There were two kinds, flat bamboo or contoured ABS plastic with mudflaps. The looked like the perfect cross between Mountain Cruiser and old fat tire 40's style. I have not recieved them yet so my fingers are crossed. I am also going to look at a taller handlebar, 5 inch or so. I have to see how much play I have in my cables.
Bars5inch.jpg
CEsO7wmkKGrHqFl0E1Fvvo8BNRzCR42cw_35.jpg

0308010551.jpg

I got my bars up. Now maybe my hands will stop going numb. I am also looking at a 5 inch raised handle bar set. Does anyone know how to economically add longer cables?

Just took it out for a test ride. Wow what a difference. About 3-4 inch rise makes the world of difference. I cannot wait for a long ride. I may not need to change out the bars. But then again I have never let anything remain stock for long. It needs Black swade paint, badly.

Well I started looking around my Garage and remember that Diamondback that was too small? Well the Handle Bars were 2" wider and 2-3" taller, and it had cool soft grips from the past. So I did a little swapping. The funny thing about this the Bars off the DB are stamped SPECIALIZED.. It was like it was ment to be. Cool improvement with no Cash being blown. I just had to trim the grips so that the shifting levers cleared. Job well done.
0310011925.jpg
0310011926.jpg

0310012003a.jpg

-A black Brooks B72 seat.
-An old school headlight mounted low below the bars.
-Some 9/16 block pedals.
-A custom badge from JezusJones.

Well that's where I'd go from here..

It's looking great though, good vision!

Back