I want a Pre-War ANYTHING!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This site has me jonesing for a Pre-War Schwinn or anything else so bad! I want a frame that I can build up into a cruiser.
I am watching a Pre War Schwinn frame on Ebay right now but being a newbie I am unsure if the price is right :x
How hard are Pre-War bikes to find out in the wild? Would I be better off looking on the 'bay or in the classifieds here rather than searching junkyards? How is the rarity of pre-war bikes compared to Pre-War automobiles? Thanks for any replies.

Im new here also, but from what Ive seen so far (and Im sure Ill be corrected if Im wrong). Pre war bikes seem fairly easy to come by. Id recommend looking in the classifieds here. They are constantly being added to. Ebay seems to be way over priced. Craigslist can be your best friend or your worst enemy when looking for bikes. Just seems like Craigslist is different depending on your part of the country. There is a whole thread about Craigslist thats quite entertaining.
But between here and Craigslist I would say you can find a resonable deal on a pre-war bike no problem.

ksshane said:
But between here and Craigslist I would say you can find a resonable deal on a pre-war bike no problem.

+1

Avoid eBay for a "quick buy", odds are you will really over pay. And make sure you know your stuff when buying on CL, a lot of inflated prices there as well (at least around here).

Members selling here with good feedback tend to be fair in their pricing so as not to price gouge a fellow forum member.

Yup, good things come to those who wait.

I'd buy from someone here on RRB before EBay. I've bought two great frames here for decent prices. One is my '36 Seminole.

Hope you find one soon.

Often its easier to just wait and see what comes to you. I was always searching for any old cruisers and coming up with one from time to time but once I stopped looking it seemed like they was being dropped in my lap, the biggest thing is to get the word out that your interested in saving any ones old bikes they have laying around. sometimes you will just get junk bikes then sometimes you get a real score.

Thanks gents! I have been SO tempted to bid on the ebay Schwinn frame but I'm lookin at around 100 bucks for a bare frame if I do so. I would probably be bettered served looking around locally or keeping my eyes peeled here in the trade/sell forums .

100 bucks for a pre-war Schwinn isn't to high that's actually fair priced

Being a newbie I don't wanna get too far in over my head because I am ignorant of what parts will fit what.

For example if I DID buy a Pre-War Schwinn frame would the components off of a modern cruiser bike or Mt bike fit on it? I would have not interest in putting a frame back in original condition and finding all antique parts BUT finding donor bikes in my area would be no problem as long as most things can be made to work.

big kountry said:
Are you building a clunker or rat either way lots of parts will interchange

That is what I was thinking. I wanna build a pre-war rat type bike but it wouldn't bother me to have parts off of a 5 year old Wal Mart bike on it.

The problem is the big box store bikes like walmart really suck on quality most will fit but you get what you pay for

big kountry said:
The problem is the big box store bikes like walmart really suck on quality most will fit but you get what you pay for
I was just using that as an example. Lots of bikes at fleas etc I could use instead of Wal Mart, I just want a pre-war frame to build on. I LOVE my '88 Schwinn Cruiser I have cleaned up but I dig pre-war everything from cars to watches to radios and razors :D So a pre-war framed bike would just fit my style.

I understand what your saying I want a board track racer Ive been looking all over for a BSA to build it out of for a while now

One other thing that seems to help is spreading the word around where you live that you are into buying old bikes, people will even seek you out sometimes looking for a quick sale and you actually end up with a great find. :)
I have come across a few great bikes that would have never made it out of a basement if it wasnt for the owner knowing I would buy it.

Just keep your eyes open and perusing the classifieds like Craigslist. And, like was mentioned earlier, put the word out that you're looking! I have picked up 2 bicycles, that other people found for me. Personally, I only build Schwinns, and a couple of months ago I went to a job, crawled into the basement and FOUND a complete '48 Schwinn DX!
It may not happen fast but, it will happen!!
Good luck and I'll keep my eyes out for you in S.F......

Probably the CHEAPEST way to get my Pre-War Fix in would be to take the current bike I am messing with, my 80's Cruiser and equip it with pre-war Gooseneck stem, handlebars, grips and other accessories. Make a nice mix n match creation out of it. Maybe even a vintage bell.

sandmountainslim said:
Probably the CHEAPEST way to get my Pre-War Fix in would be to take the current bike I am messing with, my 80's Cruiser and equip it with pre-war Gooseneck stem, handlebars, grips and other accessories. Make a nice mix n match creation out of it. Maybe even a vintage bell.
In the words of Jake Sensi GET TO BUILDING your bike is an extension of yourself so do your thing an be sure an post build pics

sandmountainslim said:

and convert it to a skiptooth drivetrain. that's easy enough, and someone's always selling the parts to do it here on RRB.

a vintage chainguard will help a lot too.

Latest posts

Back