I Can't Stop Building Tallbikes!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man this thread has me all worked up about the tall bikes again. :D My first build was a tall bike, I new nothing about riding one but thought they were the coolest so I put one together out of two old Ross bikes and a Shimano 3-speed coaster brake. I used it as my main ride for over a year. We have some short steep hills here as well as long leg burning hills. The 3-speed helped and I learned how to throw the bike back and forth standing on the pedals. This is quite a site when you mussle by another bike while yelling out a passing warning, "On your upper left!". My longest ride was 38 miles round trip to Chatham and back. My bike computer says I have gone 28 MPH on a down hill stretch. I've gone on milk runs with this bike.
As far as teaching someone how to ride a tall bike you have to read the person first. I wouldn't offer a try to someone if I didn't think they could do it. I got my brother to try it (you know the brother I used to beat up) and he did fine. My goal is to teach KOTA how to ride them. KOTA likes those low bikes.
Two things that I noticed about tall bikes is the're good in puddles and dogs can't get you, that and the view is good 8) . You can whip a rideable tall bike out in a week end, I have to find time to make another or two.

First ride on a tall bike.
PetesTallBike1a.JPG

It is a trip to ride and I don't care who it scares. I see old men yelling and shaking their fist while their wives clutch their purses. Mothers are grabbing their children and covering their eyes. Drunks are offering a pull off their bottle. One messed up world out there! I'm going to make another and bring a friend.

GL

I think I see a tallbike buildoff in the future :mrgreen: I am going to ride 30 miles on my red one in August on the Portland Bridge Pedal.

bicycleguy said:
I think I see a tallbike buildoff in the future :mrgreen: I am going to ride 30 miles on my red one in August on the Portland Bridge Pedal.

I second that motion! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ish said:
bicycleguy said:
I am going to ride 30 miles on my red one in August on the Portland Bridge Pedal.

Just don't biff and topple over the guard rail.

Oops. That's bad :shock: Almost forgot to mention, It's extremely important to make sure your bike will fit under bike tunnels. Where I ride I have to duck my head under all but one. At least make it short enough to walk it through :oops:

Have fun on the Portland Bridge Pedal.

GL

ish said:
bicycleguy said:
I am going to ride 30 miles on my red one in August on the Portland Bridge Pedal.

Just don't biff and topple over the guard rail.

I'm not worried about falling I'm just worried about the hundereds of other people who can barely ride a bike running into me, cutting me off and stuff like that. :mrgreen:

Last year I was just riding along when 2 people a couple hundered feet in front of me basicly rode into eachother :roll: They both got pretty bad road rash and one went for a ride in a ambulance so I guess it was pretty serious.

bikeriderx said:
bicycleguy said:

I second that motion! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm gonna PM Rat Rod and see if we can do this!

Not sure how many people would really participate in a build off like that.

I think they fall more into the category of Freak Bikes than they do Rat Rods.

I think our next unofficial build off will end up being a anything goes build. :wink:

Rat Rod said:

I think our next unofficial build off will end up being a anything goes build. :wink:

most of the bikes here don't really fall into the rat rod category either. just sayin

i'm down for the UN-official high as a kite build. but it seems to be more trouble then what it's worth.

why don't we try to get all the michigan guys to get in on it then we can all meet up and
see how many people ask if the circus is in town. :roll:

Rat Rod said:

I'm feeling the same way as you. An unofficial build off anything goes will cover anything. It's sure to bring out the odd ones...........I'm in
I've been saving one build just for this "unofficial build off anything goes " and if it doesn't happen I'll never build it........... :roll: ...........or I'll burst! :shock:

GL

Graylock said:
You don't need a build off to build tall bikes, just do it. Not enough of us around. We know who you are, you'll be judged by your peers. Just build and have fun.

GL

Hahaha! :lol: You're right! I just need a man's frame for the "base" and I'm off!! :mrgreen: And GL...and bicycleguy...I'd like to see you'se build those steerer tubes! That's my Achilles Heel right now...

Upper Class White Trash said:
why don't we try to get all the michigan guys to get in on it then we can all meet up and
see how many people ask if the circus is in town. :roll:

Hahaha! That would be schweet!! :mrgreen:

bikeriderx said:
Hahaha! :lol: You're right! I just need a man's frame for the "base" and I'm off!! :mrgreen: And GL...and bicycleguy...I'd like to see you'se build those steerer tubes! That's my Achilles Heel right now...
Are you asking?
Thats the tallbikes Achiles heel. I looked at as many head tubes and forks assemblies that I could find on the net. As far as I could tell bicycleguy's method was one of my choices. Mine is lining up the two head tubes and welding them together with inside sleeves. The rest of it has to find its own way to be welded. Lots of trial and error. Forks I did like I did on my sex change project but longer. I find this arangement easy to service and sturdy. I don't know if bicycleguy can service his, I assume he can? Still his looks the coolest.

here's something cool
side4col_.jpg

GL

I have tried a bunch of different ways to make the steerer tube but out of all of them I like the way I've done my last few tallbikes. I'll try and explain how to do it the best I can. Get the fork you want to use on the bottom frame and find a piece of pipe that fits in it snug (I use 1/2" conduit) then drill some holes in the steerer tube of the fork and slide the pipe in as far as it will go and plug weld it using the holes in the steerer tube. Grind down the welds so the bearings slide over them then find a fork you want to use in the top frame but make sure it dosen't have a tapered of solid bottom so the pipe can fit inside. Cut the legs off the top fork so just the steerer is left and assemble the bottom fork and headset so the pipe goes into the bottom of the steerer tube on the top fork then weld the pipe to the bottom of the steerer tube. I hope this helps.

So it doesn't come apart after that ?
Mine is one long fork tube, threads and all, secured with a toothed washer and locking nuts. All this fork talk reminds me to take a look at that to see if everything is ok inside my fork.
GL

It comes apart enough to grease the bearings and stuff like that but the fork won't come completely off the frame.

Latest posts

Back