I beat the Blizzard......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton

Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sort of.........

I was to start work today at @ 2pm. Blizzard was suppose to start around 3pm
Thinking that they get the timing of these things wrong a lot. I thought I would ride to work and maybe even ride home at 10pm if the storm was not bad yet

Had a awesome ride down the lake front very strong 40mph plus wind out of the North East (tail wind :wink:)
I could really fly.
The path had just been plowed in the morning after two inches of snow fell on Monday night. but there was lots of drifting snow had to walk the bike a couple times
through big drifts

I sure did collect a lot of snow
blackbike019-1.jpg

blackbike024-2.jpg

blackbike021-1.jpg

you can feel the bike getting heavier with all the snow on it. Had to stop and bounce it a few times to get the snow out of the fenders.
blackbike020-1.jpg

blackbike023-2.jpg

The whole reason I went down the lake was to get cool pics of HUGH of waves hitting the shore......
but the lake is frozen as far as you can see :roll:
blackbike017-1.jpg

Turns out they nailed the forecast started snowing around three pm. And the wind got even stronger 60MPH gusts
good news is the rack I lock up to is safe and indoors
blackbike026-1.jpg

blackbike028.jpg

what it looked like outside
blackbike030.jpg

blackbike032.jpg

Me walking to the train
blackbike035.jpg

at the train station
blackbike040.jpg

Me happy to be on the train!
blackbike042.jpg

Have to walk about a mile after I get to my stop
Crazy snow and wind some drifts bigger then Three feet high in the middle of the main road glad I did not try to ride home :roll:
I may not go get my bike till Friday. :shock: storm is suppose to continue till Three Pm on Thursday
Looks like we are on are way to Two feet of snow
Thanks for looking
Skip

Skip.........you snow puppy..............you get my vote for hard core, sweet bike too 8) . We are getting snow storms on the Cape out of two storms. Yesterday it started as snow and by afternoon it started to rain. Things got real slippery on the ride home. Temp this morning is nearly 40 so we will start with the rain and maybe it will turn to rain, sleet, and ice ending with freezing temps to put a nice glaze on, if we are lucky. Anything west of the canal will get more snow. Nantucket may just get bare ground, lucky stiffs. Can't wait till the bike paths clear out.

Graylock

Skipton I rode in too I followed the snow plow (Dave the bike plow guy) in the morning. All was fine. I left work at 4:30 normal time and went through Batavia on plowed streets. Not so bad so far even had a tail wind. Got to the Fox river trail and was on my own.This strech is 2.5 mi of the trip. The wind had drifted in the path the whole way. I started to walk it and got 1.5 mi at that point I bailed for the highway (Ill Rt 31) had to cut across the river on the foot bridges in the forest preserve. When I crossed over all traces of the service roads had dissapeared so I walked up this drifted in hill to the highway. The Geneva roads were pretty good. got home in 1 hour and 45 min. then got to clear the driveway and walks.Looked out today .....gotta drive the jeep in to work......afrer I clear the house doors and the driveway again! only one photo will post later. Bad phone picture at start of walk.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I drove 140mi yesterday in the storm just to chase a bike that turned out to be about a 1965 instead of a 1938, poor old cowboy looked so disappointed to find out he'd been riding it around for years thinking it was "just like" the one he had as a child :roll: :roll: :roll:

We only got 4 inches of ice with a couple inches of snow here, pretty much missed the whole thing.

Got more photos of the storm up in Chicago???? On the radio they said that 3 counties up there have closed their roads completely!?!? Wicked.

still nothing but rain (and wind) here. i heard that PENNDOT lowered the speed limit to 45 for the whole state, but my roads locally are just wet. schools cancelled, but both my kids have strep throat anyway. :( my pickup blew up monday goin to work, so im stuck sharing the minivan with my wife for a couple weeks until i get a new motor in it. so im glad the snow hasnt hit here cause i dont have 4wheel drive at the moment. oh yeah, 20 miles from here the groundhog DID NOT see his shadow!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Graylock
You guys sure get the mix of weather

cruisehard
Man I will take Two feet of snow any day, Over ice-sickle apocalypse :wink:

Xc204
No shame! In driving the Jeep to work today 8)

subadrew
The real cold air will be here in a day or two :shock:
I find My Nexus shifts funny and maybe even higher rolling resistance :shock: when real cold 10 degrees or less

"Busy" Intersection of Damen and Foster ave around 9:30am Wednesday
Strom2011013.jpg

Strom2011005.jpg

Strom2011011.jpg

Strom2011010.jpg

Side street
Strom2011003.jpg

Strom2011002.jpg

Park by my house
Strom2011009.jpg

Oh, work called and said STAY HOME! :mrgreen:
Thanks guys Stay warm!

Skip you are HARDCORE!!!

I'm up in Lake Co. our roads are closed due to "Civil Emegancy" they said anyone caught driving will be ticketed.

Kankakee County here. I have been shoveling since 6:30 this morning, it is now 12:12. I'm beat! I thought about going for a little snow ride, but I still can't get to the garage door because it is drifted over. I'm not even going to attempt it until the wind stops. I believe we took the blunt of it. Been a while since we had snow like this. All of our County roads are still closed, and I just got report that they shut down I-57 South of I-80 because the plows can't keep up with the drifting.

Buck - I was up 'till 1 am last night shoveling. Evey 2 hrs or so. It was pretty light stuff last night.My am shift wasn't bad just where the city plw coivered the front of the drive. They said that on U.S. 20 Marango to Rockford there was a 6' drift accross the highyway ( mostly crop fields there) imagine hittig that!

The power just came back on here...off nearly 24 hrs due to ice. I'm south of Skipton about 3 hrs and we missed the big snow but got an ice storm instead. 3° above right now. Gary

B607 said:
The power just came back on here...off nearly 24 hrs due to ice. I'm south of Skipton about 3 hrs and we missed the big snow but got an ice storm instead. 3° above right now. Gary

Hey we're practically neighbors, I'm in Edwardsville...
Our house has a boiler and radiators but uses a small transformer for the controls and flu damper. I pulled the battery from my Jeep, wired it to a little automotive power inverter so I could get 120v to the boiler controls. I was really impressed with myself.... then minutes later the power came back on :roll:

Yep, the cold weather is here! 8 degrees this morning
My sons found a good sledding hill.....
Strom2011020.jpg

Strom2011040.jpg

Strom2011003-1.jpg

This maybe the biggest hill in Chicago :wink:

I don't need it today but got the family car dug out
Strom2011006-1.jpg

Strom2011008-1.jpg

Side streets still bad..
Strom2011005-1.jpg

But better then the alleys
Strom2011014-1.jpg

Strom2011015-1.jpg

Main roads look good, the sun sure does help
Strom2011016-1.jpg

Strom2011017-1.jpg

Going to work in a little bit
I will ride the Schwinn home, Update to come!
Blackbike003-6.jpg

Back