Hybrid Straightbar build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't know what else to call it. A friend had given me this newer Huffy cruiser frame (wal-mart) a while ago when I was messing with bikes. It sat in a shed for years...until last week. I wanted a straight bar frame, so I thought I'd make one out of this. Then I'd swap all the parts from my Murry onto this frame.

Cut off the smaller tubes, re-welded the rounded front tips back on. Added the straight bar.
straightbar1.jpg

straightbar2.jpg

Then I ran into a problem with the Murry's neck being larger than that on the Huffy. So I couldn't use the fork I had without cutting the necks off, and I didn't want to cut up the Murry frame. So, Craigslist to the rescue. Picked up an O.C.C. chopper for cheap. I wanted this kind of fork anyway but didn't think I'd be able to get it done just yet. I'm glad I did.
straightbar3.jpg

After I got the neck welded on, I decided it was way to high in the front and the wheel was too far forward. Bad cell pic. You might also notice I had the top and bottom bars welded pretty low on the neck, which I changed. The pics are a little out of sequence, sorry.
straightbarx.jpeg

So I shortened the fork and made the wheel mount at the bottom instead of in front.
straightbar4.jpg

Now I just have to finish welding. I have to get the right handlebars too...not sure exactly what I want but I know it's not what's on there. I'm thinking of two individual bars that mount at the top of each leg of the fork, something down low.
straightbar5.jpg

Tried some ape hangers, it looks cool but thats not the style I think I want for this one.
straightbar7.jpg

Might go with blackwalls too eventually.
straightbar6.jpg

More to come as I get more done! Thanks for looking.

looks good so far. what is that car you have? that is sic. i like em both.

Outlaw

Ok I'm guessing here but a 38 ford truck with a aftermarket windshield convertable frame and a glass top. Probably a million miles from being right but hey its just a guess..Very nice though.

Humm last time I saw a 31 ford roadster it didnt have a rounded back for a truck,and that for sure isnt a 31 ford grill. That being the case there is alot of modified changes made to the body. Nice work.

Well that goes to show you a Texas boy can build anything. Thanks Tomb for the link. Was very interesting....felt like old times :lol:

Mesa, that car is a million miles away from a "rat rod"... careful!

Thanks folks. I'm hoping to figure out the handlebars by this weekend so I can ride it around some.

The car is a.....heavily modified.....'31 Ford roadster pickup.

Cool bike! I'd go for the low bars. They match the triple tree better in my opinion. The apes would look awesome with a different fork... :)

Finished the welding and put everything together for a test ride. I cut the pedestals for the handlebars down and narrowed the stingray handlebars. It rode pretty well! I picked up an '80's Murray women's bike for cheap at a yard sale today to use for parts. Decided I liked the chain guard so I made it work on the straight bar. I cut a few holes in it just for grins. It's all blown back apart and got rattle-canned for now. I'll reassemble tomorrow and call it done.

straightbar8.jpg

straightbar9.jpg

Steal away :mrgreen:

It's not perfect, but it'll do. Finished...
straightbar10.jpg

straightbar11.jpg

straightbar12.jpg

straightbar13.jpg

Behind my other weekend project.
straightbar14.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Back