Huffy Rail SS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have seen that bike before. Did you get it from a member here? Did you find a Cheater Slick for the rear yet? Cool Score and it looks great already.

Jaxon, I don't think the guy is a member of this site, bought off craigslist took long time for the guy to drop price enough. Gonna try and fit a little larger tire on back not a cheater slick. Hopefully everybody will like final results, youngest son wants the paint scheme close to my Stingray Retro bike. Going to start work soon on it. Looking to get seat redone, have meeting with a upholster to see if it can be done for reasonable price. Will be posting pics of build. Thanks for looking.

Yours looks great. the one we found had been chained to a barb-wire fence for a long time. Seat has multiple holes in it going to try and get it redone. Was also missing tires but I have some coming in soon. Changing paint color to White with Black stripes. Just picked up Handlebars, Sissy bar and Rims from powder coat this afternoon. Have proper stickers for head tube, seat post and forks going to try and put bigger tires. Hope to be able to still use fenders. Will post pic as build really gets going.

Hey everybody just wanted to post a few pictures of the Huffy Rail SS build. CRASH was nice enough to inform me that the 24 inch Rails were called the Super Sport. Thanks for that CRASH never would have known
Super "Stock", but who's counting.

Sounds like you're going a little custom with it. What size tire for the back? Originally it came with 24x1.75. My experience is that anything fatter rubs the fenders. I have a NOS Raised White Letter cheater slick if you change your mind, but be aware that they are rare and not cheap. Unfortunately there aren't any aftermarket slicks in that size like there are for the 20" tires.

Depending on what you want to do with the seat, you may be better off just buying one off EBay. If you're goin with White/Black, Eob Eagleye is getting a white troxel with a black stripe in very soon. I know this because I traded him for one that is just like your seat. He's also got a NOS black seat with chrome Mylar stripes that looks really good. You could PM him for more info.

Keep us up on the progress!

Really I meant to type Stock but it came out Sport, could blame auto correct but no my fault. Have test fitted a 24x2.10 it was tight but I could make it work. If not was planning to put 24x1.95 on front might just do that for front and rear. As far as seat goes if the cost is too high I have seen a few that would work the bay.

Thanks my friend

Just confirmed that tires will get here tomorrow so will mount on rims, once agian you are right CRASH fenders might be a problem. Oldest son son is quite handy with fabrication so maybe there still a chance.

isn't the front on the single speed a 24 x 1 3/8 ? same as the multispeed ones ? . If so, then a 24 x 1.95 won't fit the larger dia rim.
If you're restomod and not stock, however, a 24" 10 speed tire should not be hard to find, I probably have a few..
Have fun with the project :), I have a western flyer badged girls one in the pile, been wondering about a sexchange one.hmmm.

You are correct on this as I discovered last night after getting new tire from USPS, started the search on local CL and ebay. Learning things on this build as we go along. Just missed this one, going to possibly start stripping frame and fenders this week. Thanks for looking at thread will keep everybody posted on build progress.

Love that yellow with the yellow fenders. Those are cool looking bikes.

Love those chain guards. I thought I was the first person to use that chain guard on a muscle bike.....can't believe Huffy stole my idea.:21:

Found a 24 multi-speed bike yesterday to use front rim, mounted on frame looks good plenty of clearance with fenders both front and rear. So will startthe stripping process this week. Does anybody have any suggestion for making stencils for fender stripes and chainguard. Really just looking for material to make stencil out of.

That bike was for sale on Dallas CL right? If it is the same bike, it was over-priced. I have had my eye on a 1970s BF Goodrich Challenger but the lady wants way too much for it. Bike has been for sale for at least 3 months now. You would think she would get a clue!

Yes that is the bike, and no I did not pay what the guy had wanted for it for at least five months. The morning we picked it up he complained about how I was screwing him over the price of the bike. I told him to keep it if he didn't want to sale bike for agreed price. Had been trying to get him to come down for a few months, He finally agreed to come down to what I was willing to pay.

If you are looking for parts for this bike, there is an older guy in Palestine, TX selling a 1968 5 Speed Spyder. He has also had his bike for sale for a long time. Asking $ 200 for it but it is a $ 100 parts bike at best, maybe not even that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, but I think that I will be able to use most of the parts from this bike have been cleaning everything up. Getting ready to send frame, chainguard and fenders to powder coater within the next week or so. Will post pictures as soon as there is something to share.

Made some progress with the extra time off for Thanksgiving, Frame sanded. Changed mind about sending out for powder coat, want to paint myself.

few pictures mocked with wheels and tires.

Still need to get a little bit of yellow paint off forks need a small bore brush which I have in my bench at work, really smooth leaving it there for the long weekend once weather warms up a little paint will go on.

Thanks for looking

Back