huffy cruiser converted to 5 speed klunker(ish)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some plastic bmx fenders from a girls huffy I think. If I can find them they're yours. Convo me. You'll have to paint them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorry I have been busy and not much going on with this build atm
I do have all the parts for the build already once I get the money to buy them.
but I appreciate the offer
sean

Man your are the rite track on this build.!!
I have say those bars are dead on in a larger scale way..
Look forward to the finished result..
Awesome job..
I agree the bars are perfect on this bike.
I really like them both in appearance and in comfort.
thanks for the bars their exactly what I wanted for this build.

well not a lot of progress just cleaning repacking bearings and seeing what I need to repaint .
I noticed this frame has a lot of cool patina I am probably going to keep on it not overly rusty but a little showing thru.
might just clear it and leave it alone.
I did swap the front tire with one I had in my shed the tread is exactly the same and the older tire was cracked and I didn't trust it.
I also realized these wheels are both pretty much roached so I will be getting a new set built using some araya hoops and im thinking of using a Schwinn road bike hub with the high flange for the front wheel.
I also will be looking for someone to extend the front forks so if anyone knows anyone who does this let me know I will be getting it done soon.
here is the new used tire not much but all I did for now.
forgot the before picture but ti was rusty not a lot of cleanup their pretty cheap wheels so im just gonna replace them

Well once again my creativity got working and I decided this is going to be a 5 speed
I used my girlfriends old mtb as a donor for wheel rear derailleur and other parts. Will post a pic tomorrow
I have seen a couple thunder roads built from adult cruisers but im yet to see a 5 speed version so this will make it mine and original after seeing dr tsnkensteins take on the rail 7 I got inspired to build my 5 speed version so thanks to dr tankenstein for the inspiration.
More updates and pics soon
Sean

5speed. Conversion has been done and the gears and rear brake are functioning. I ran into a problem for front brakes there is no way to mount calipers on the front forks where I have several options my favorite is run a drum brake front wheel this will both give me front brakes and give the front end a beefed up bmxish feel so that is the plan now to find someone who has a complete front drum brake wheel and is willing to part with it lol
I promise I will have pics tonight
Sean

Drill a hole between the bottom 2 plates of the crown for brake mount.

PTDC0019_zps26f26147.jpg

well the plan is still to turn this into an adult thunder road, but due to finances and other issues I just built it with what I got for now so it is a working bike.
after fiddling with a few Junkers and stripping parts off 2 bikes I didn't care about ( both cheapo wal mart bikes might be worth 2 cents each)
I had a large quantity of leftover parts.
so with that being said here is what I did to this one.
I decided to swap these forks with the originals so I can run front brakes until I get the chance to either drill out the originals or convert back to coaster brake

what is left of the donor bike.

the chain is a little to short so I will have to add some links to it.

the front end is really beefed up and actually kinda tall so I have to go without a kickstand this old chair works perfectly lol

or the birdbath works too here is the side view as it sits

just got to lengthen the chain and make some tweaks and this one is rideable but don't worry my fellow thunder road fans who may have been following this one it is still going to eb an adult thunder road once I get the money to do so.
more updates soon.
sean

Back