How to "Throw Sparks"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I "Throw Sparks" on my bike.
At 0CC they put a spark plug at the tailpipe, flames come out as the bike runs rich and the fumes get ignited by the plug.

Don't the drag racers have some gimmick on the wheelie bar?

Razor scooters have an adaption for a flint to scrape the ground and throw sparks while braking.
Can I put this on my stingray?

Diabolical Dork built a spark thrower on his build off bike last year. If my memory serves correct, he used a u shaped spring. One side of the u was attached to the bike. The other side had a flint from a torch striker.

I've done it two ways. Both aren't safe, but I've never been afraid of a little danger :lol:
1) Angle iron on my pedal
2) Just a regular metal pedal

But the two bike I've done this with have been low to the ground and I had to be very careful of where the sprocket arms are.
With the angle iron. I simply at a decent rate of speed, got the pedal close to the blacktop and laid it over some. Threw sparks like crazy!
The centrix earthscraper I built doesn't have earthscraper as part of the name for nothing. I've laid the pedal into the blacktop before and its bent the pedal up and took some teeth off of it, but I know it throws sparks. However, I don't do it with this bike. But the one I had done with angle iron on the pedals, was strictly for draggin' 8)

Do not attempt to recreate or reenact these stunts. But if you do, please be careful :lol:

coopieclan said:
How do I "Throw Sparks" on my bike.
At 0CC they put a spark plug at the tailpipe, flames come out as the bike runs rich and the fumes get ignited by the plug.

Don't the drag racers have some gimmick on the wheelie bar?

Razor scooters have an adaption for a flint to scrape the ground and throw sparks while braking.
Can I put this on my stingray?

To set up flame throwers on a car is fairly simple. I have done them using a new "black box" system and how my grandpa showed me with a model t ignition coil. You cut power from the coil going to the motor by diverting it to a coil that is wired to a sparkplug in the last 12-14" of the exhaust. Rev the motor, flip the switch and pump the fuel pedal. The engine will keep rotating (but slow down to a stop) and will suck fuel from the carb, send it through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. The raw fuel will then ignite when the spark hits it and blow flames out the tail pipe. When the motor winds down flip the switch off and current will run back to the engines ignition coil and the engine will fire back up. Of course this is really bad for piston rings and wears a motor out quick.
In the 60's exhibition cars would put magnesium blocks on the wheelie bars instead of wheels. They throw a mass of white sparks. but they also tear up the surface of the track. Now days if you see sparks coming from a drag car there is something broke.

Lowlife Lucas said:
I've done it two ways. Both aren't safe, but I've never been afraid of a little danger :lol:
1) Angle iron on my pedal
2) Just a regular metal pedal

But the two bike I've done this with have been low to the ground and I had to be very careful of where the sprocket arms are.
With the angle iron. I simply at a decent rate of speed, got the pedal close to the blacktop and laid it over some. Threw sparks like crazy!
The centrix earthscraper I built doesn't have earthscraper as part of the name for nothing. I've laid the pedal into the blacktop before and its bent the pedal up and took some teeth off of it, but I know it throws sparks. However, I don't do it with this bike. But the one I had done with angle iron on the pedals, was strictly for draggin' 8)

Do not attempt to recreate or reenact these stunts. But if you do, please be careful :lol:

And get VIDEO! :lol:

I've seen a vid somewhere, maybe in a movie.. Of a guy on a street bike with metal taps on his shoes, he sorta jumped off the back and grabbed his fender for dear life and skied on concrete then pulled himself back on his bike, long story short many sparks. Don't try this at home, or stay on the bike.. You know what, just don't try this. I don't want anyone getting hurt, but metal plus friction should make sparks, depending on the material and the surface

I've got lots and lots of flint if anyone wants to try some. Gary
This is the way kids, magnesium is way to dangerous, once it lights it's gonna be heck to get out!
Try flints on wheelie bars!

My dumb involved hair spray, and then a story to make Dad understand how my tire popped.

Now that I think about it, I don't think flint would work. Flint needs to strike steel to make a spark. The pavement acts as the "flint", which is harder than the metal. You need to drag something metal against the pavement. The harder pavement causes tiny pieces of steel to come off red hot and become a spark. On a flint lock rifle, the flint strikes a piece of steel. Flint on pavement would probably do nothing. Gary

I am pretty sure flint is what
they used on the wheelie bars of the Little red truck, wheelie bus, and the Chi town hustler. The youngins are lost, those were exhibition drag cars in the 1980s that had flints on the wheelie bars.

To set up flame throwers on a car is fairly simple. I have done them using a new "black box" system and how my grandpa showed me with a model t ignition coil. You cut power from the coil going to the motor by diverting it to a coil that is wired to a sparkplug in the last 12-14" of the exhaust. Rev the motor, flip the switch and pump the fuel pedal. The engine will keep rotating (but slow down to a stop) and will suck fuel from the carb, send it through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. The raw fuel will then ignite when the spark hits it and blow flames out the tail pipe. When the motor winds down flip the switch off and current will run back to the engines ignition coil and the engine will fire back up. Of course this is really bad for piston rings and wears a motor out quick.
In the 60's exhibition cars would put magnesium blocks on the wheelie bars instead of wheels. They throw a mass of white sparks. but they also tear up the surface of the track. Now days if you see sparks coming from a drag car there is something broke.
I have done a few flame throwers, no ignition interupter needed! Jet it rich, for super flames!-use a big accelerator pump, don't stand behind!

I can't speak for you oldies but on low riders today they use steel plates to throw sparks, not flint, not magnesium, here's why, flint is a rock, it's not easy to tell a rock what to do, flint sparks on flint, but rub it on the ground and... Not so much, so why not magnesium, ever played with the metal sparklers on the Fourth of July, extreme high temp, once it starts, it doesn't stop, they use it for welding, nuff said, that being said, go experiment, be safe, have fun, I could be wrong

I AM GOING TO SCREAM THIS!!!!
DO NOT USE MAGNESIUM!

That stuff burns at incredible temperature. Almost impossible to extinguish, by the fire department!
Ok, enough of my fire marshal Bill routine! :)

5610° is the temperature magnesium burns at!!!!!
And it ignites around 500°!!!
This is playing with fire!

Hmm, doublestick sandpaper or sidewalk nonskid stuff, cut and attached to your rim, then put flints on a caliper brake assembly down low - like right above the kickstand... Squeeze the brake handle and SPARKS...oughta work pretty good and look great...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back