How to Make : Wide Rims + litle tricks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now those would be cool!!!

outskirtscustoms said:
Awesome idea, I wonder if you could substitute some screw back spikes for the rivets... Might work if you remember to Loctite them.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0802139600
those were my initial idea , along with aluminum plate instead of steal , but it would have double or more the price and i wanted to keep it low budget , cause i could of bought a Surley rim at that price

Nice project....especially for guys who don't weld. :D

Love that rim! Have to agree on the rack, looks awesome, but then again, I cant imagine how it looks without it...

I suppose if you are using steel rims you could weld a filler strip in, might end up a bit heavy... Not too stressed about heavy myself, once it's rolling anyway!

I have heard that if you have a wide 20in rim (bmx) you can fit a 16inch motorbike tire, 90/90/16 tires (3 1/2x 20 equivalent) are readily available and can be got with wide whitewalls too! Once again, heavy, heavy, heavy...

Edit: Had to try it, put my money where my mouth is so to speak:

DSC00109 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Looks good yes? (I did not actually widen a rim, just sat it on the tire for this photo, I did get one side on, but no room for the other side on a standard width rim.)

Sizing is pretty much spot on if the rim had been widened to about 75mm (3inches), takes effort to fit though, much less flexibility than a normal bike tire. Could be made easier by sanding the inside of the tire with a flap disc where it fits inside the rim. (Not necessary, but would make it easier.) Tire actually measures up at 125mm (5inches) wide when inflated,you would need to offset the hub and add widened stays and a tapered in dropout for the offside, just insert the tire before inflating!!!...

There are a few other builds that have put MC tires on 20x4 OCC rims.
Somewhere in my build thread I even have the tire mounting rig that I made to get these Harley tires on Fugsley's rims.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44315&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=mounting
It does add a TON of weight though.

wobWP_000522.jpg

That bike of yours is awesome Kingfish! Looking through your build now, going a bit slow because I think I have hit my download limit for the billing cycle... Remember dial-up speed? Hopefully that new Aust national broadband network gets to me soon so I can join you all in this century...

Sorry to Mr Onehorsepower if all this motorcycle tire stuff takes away from your thread, didn't mean it to, just meant it as a side point...

jj256 said:
is it possible to do this with one rim (using a welder)
i think it could work , i just dont know if welding would deform the rims , you would need some kind of good jig to hold it in position during the operation ..

jj256 said:
How did you redrill the spike holes in your rims
through the existing holes with the right size drill bit , or a tinny bit smaller and a 45degre chanfer bit just to remove the sharp edges ... but if you use smaller or bigger diameter rivets , you should drill those holes to the exact size of the rivets ... make tests , spokes holes and rivets holes

OneHorsePower said:
jj256 said:
How did you redrill the spike holes in your rims
through the existing holes with the right size drill bit , or a very little smaller and a 45degre chanfer bit just to remove the sharp edges ... but if you use smaller or bigger diameter rivets , you should drill those holes to the exact size of the rivets ... make tests , spokes holes and rivets holes

HuffDaddy said:
I love this idea. I think it might look cool to put a black and white checkered pattern on the 2" band before spoking up the wheel.
Yeah! That would be awesome! Kinda like RatRod's straight 8...
8-1.jpg

Luke.

I just made a "How To" on building wide freewheel hubs, they would be the perfect addition to these wide rims. They can even be done without welding if required. If anyone wants to know more they can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68533&p=661483#p661483

Luke.

Back