#HOP - DONE!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: #HOP - Got Paint?

jrdann said:
I forgot to mention I invented invisible seat padding for the build off... Just trying to get a trophy here!!!

Ahhh... ok, I thought maybe you had treaded holes in your rear end for a perfect fit. Anyway, I expect to see some seated pictures on that invisible padding. :wink:

Re: #HOP - Tire Rub Q???

So probably shouldhave thought of this one earlier but my 1.95 slicks are rubbing slightly on the frame. Aside from new smaller tires (like the look too much) whats the best fix? I could either grind the frame a bit to make it work, try and dent the frame? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its like a marathon I swear the first bunch of miles go great and just when you are on those last few miles its a crap sandwich... Then you finish and its the best feeling in the world.

That paint came out great :shock:

put a banana seat on it or a shovel. Awesome light. Could u do a how to on it. I have a similar light that I want to do it to.

jrdann said:
So probably shouldhave thought of this one earlier but my 1.95 slicks are rubbing slightly on the frame. Aside from new smaller tires (like the look too much) whats the best fix? I could either grind the frame a bit to make it work, try and dent the frame? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its like a marathon I swear the first bunch of miles go great and just when you are on those last few miles its a crap sandwich... Then you finish and its the best feeling in the world.

you may need a longr rear axel for this trick to work. but put the frame down on some thing soft. then place your foot on the inside rear frame chain stay tube. then take and pull up on the other rear chain stay tube. that will spread out the rear end. so tire will clear to roll with out rubing sides! I did it to this schwinn frame + made the laid back seat post for it.

Copyoflowriderbikes003.jpg

but if its rubing toured the frunt seat tube. take a drill and angel it to carve/file more slot room in drop out. so you can slide rear wheel fearther back.

Those frames are pretty close even with the factory 1.75's. Somebody in the build-off deepened his dropout slots, that might yield enough space with the right combination of sprockets and chain. If the wheel is all the way back in the dropouts, dropout mods/extensions or mangle the chain stays. I'd chose denting over grinding on the chain stays. :|

deorman said:
Those frames are pretty close even with the factory 1.75's. Somebody in the build-off deepened his dropout slots, that might yield enough space with the right combination of sprockets and chain. If the wheel is all the way back in the dropouts, dropout mods/extensions or mangle the chain stays. I'd chose denting over grinding on the chain stays. :|

I used the triple-tree handlebar clamp blocks, which are solid aluminum with a half-round cutout, in the vise with my frame to squish the lower chainstays and make some room for my 24x3's. The blocks kept the outer curve of the tube from collapsing, while the inner part flattened out a bit.

Sorry I don't have a good pic of it to share, but it worked well using a large vise. Wedging a 2x4 into the space and bending the frame open may work for you as well.

Good luck!
--Rob

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I got it basically had to resort to caveman tacticks. I took a heavy monkey wrench handle and pressed it where I needed to dent it then hammered the hack out of it. after got it where i needed to be I smoothed it all out with the dremel. Tire is still tight getting on so have to inflate it on the bike. Now I just need to clean up the paint luckily that had little damage.

Re: #HOP - Fork Darts or No? Chime in here....

So My bike is basically 90% done but been thinking of adding a pair of fork darts to shout out the AMF heritage. A vendor I have used before was able to replicate them but not sure if a vinyl graphic will do it justice. Here is the fork as it sits now...
P10105352.jpg

and the dart design I am leaning twoards the AMF one although as it came was just the box...
AMF_Fork_design.jpg

let me know what you guys think????

Re: #HOP - fork Darts or No? Chime in here....

Darts all the way! I'd lean toward the AMF lettering, it looks sweet!

AMF DARTS. YEAH BABY!!! NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!!! PEACE

I like the AMF darts. I also like the painted fork crown. I should admit I haven't checked in on your build sense 5/23. Your seat slam is awesome, borderline genius.

Back